IW STi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 974 miles on my 06 sti and im dying to go WOT on this bieach. Im getting my oil chaged at 1000, so should I wait till I get my oil changed or do u guys think its ok to gun and redline it once on the way to work tommrow?
thanks

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
depends how youve been driving. if you have been keeping it under 3k then no. throwing another 3.5k rpms at the engine isnt good. work up to it. i usually do

0-400: 3k
400-600:4k
600-700:5k
700-1000:6k
1000+: redline at will. they put it there for a purpose.

·
Registered
8,392 Posts
^^Subaru recommends to flucuate the RPM's a lot more than that during break in.

Charles: Congratulations on keeping the beast caged for 974 miles. I am proud of you. You have passed the test. Go show her a good time. You both deserve it.

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
Have you ever heard of the school of thought that advocates brief but hard wot runs to redline. No sustained hard use but brief flogging??

There's also good evidence to support changing the oil VERY early, like 300 miles as most of the actual breakin happens by then.

I ran my car wide open on the way home from the dealership after taking delivery. This was intersperced (sp?) with easy freeway cruising, then an oil change at 300 ish miles and switch to mobil 1 at about 5K.

My car burns a qt every 5000 miles. So if I don't go more than that btwn oil changes I never have to add oil.

Do what you want, but I say wind that puppy up. Its a lot of fun and you will NOT hurt anything.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
flatthump said:
^^Subaru recommends to flucuate the RPM's a lot more than that during break in.
that is with city driving, im at 1500 some odd miles now. i had a couple of friends in the car earlier today and i launched her at a redder, from 6k, pissed alot of people off lol, got a few horns, and my friends were like holy ****(used to hondas, with vtak). this is with hks ti :D

and i saw 2 fastars in a nearby parking lot as well. i chuckle at kids who are drving neons thinking they are hard.

·
Registered
9,011 Posts
donmei said:
Have you ever heard of the school of thought that advocates brief but hard wot runs to redline. No sustained hard use but brief flogging??

There's also good evidence to support changing the oil VERY early, like 300 miles as most of the actual breakin happens by then.

I ran my car wide open on the way home from the dealership after taking delivery. This was intersperced (sp?) with easy freeway cruising, then an oil change at 300 ish miles and switch to mobil 1 at about 5K.

My car burns a qt every 5000 miles. So if I don't go more than that btwn oil changes I never have to add oil.

Do what you want, but I say wind that puppy up. Its a lot of fun and you will NOT hurt anything.
amen.

·
Registered
249 Posts
you shoulda WOT out of the dealer's lot after the sales guy told you to keep it under 3k.

Seriously, I followed donmei line of thought. Short burst to 5-6k during break in period. I use up about 1 qt of mobil 1 every 3-4k miles.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.