IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok when I first got the car it feels fast but after 4500 miles my car is beginning to feel slow. Is it physcological (Sp) or am i just used to the speed. Anyone thinks its time for MODS? I think i need to hop into the wrx more to appreciate the STI.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
i noticed that too. of course my car only has 1500 miles on it. in my case its definately a mental thing. after doing a 130mph highway run, going 30mph around town feels really slow. i do think that in time you do get used to the speed and acceleration of the STi. the first time i took it to 7000rpm in each gear was insane and it felt like things were a little out of my control. now its just more controlled and expected. i drove my Mother's Subaru Legacy, older model, and even just backing out of the driveway i knew there was no power under my foot. it was an automatic too. i never thought it was possible to miss something like shifting gears so much. as for Mods? it is always time for those.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
That has happened with every "performance" or sports car I've ever owned. Except this one, yet. Still breaking it in. :D

You get used to the power and things start feeling slow. Don't worry, there are still not a lot of typical cars on the road that are going to be much quicker than you if any.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Mine started feeling slow almost the immediately. It started pinging when I started to gradually increase my acceleration (after 1k of course). Then I got it reflashed, so the ecu had to relearn which made it slower. Now it's getting cooler here so it's feeling quicker. Happens all with all cars you drive regularly.

Oh, one of the best cures is to be in the passenger seat while someone else drives. It's a tough proposition, but if you've got someone you trust and knows how to drive well, give it a shot.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
xmen said:
...after 4500 miles my car is beginning to feel slow.
:-? i've got 11000 and the car still blows me away. how is it feeling slow? are you having a harder time passing other vehicles when you need to? if not, then i think you're just getting used to the speed. if so, then you're either not driving it right or you live in a community with lots of porsche turbos. :) i guess there could be something wrong with the car; not likely, but reset the ecu if you're so inclined.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Fhqwhgads said:
Oh, one of the best cures is to be in the passenger seat while someone else drives.
oh man, that is so true!! i've let a few select people drive my car and i have to beg 'em to get on it so i can feel the rush.

·
Registered
121 Posts
wow, you guys let other people drive it at WOT? I've never had the cojones to do that ... when my car gets out of the shop I might have to try if I can get myself to part with the keys ...

All you have to do to feel fast, is downshift ;) ... I found that daily driving when it starts to feel 'not as fast', I'm usually too far down in the revs ...

Smitty

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
SmittyTi said:
wow, you guys let other people drive it at WOT?
well, like i said, i have to beg 'em to push the car. :) invariably they don't. probably for two reasons. first, it's not their car and they're naturally cautious. second, i firmly believe that the car is so impressive at half throttle that they "forget" or find no reason to go full throttle. this is how i was for the first few weeks of having the car. even now, i very rarely need to go WOT. 300hp/300ftlb. man, subaru, you totally hooked us up!!!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
SmittyTi said:
All you have to do to feel fast, is downshift ;) ... I found that daily driving when it starts to feel 'not as fast', I'm usually too far down in the revs ...

Smitty
I think i found the reason... Its my daily driver and I'm in it every day. I do let the revs rise occasionally to 6K..... It's gotta be mental and me getting used to the quickness of the car. I think I have taken the low end Torque for granted.. Its a awesome car. I need to ocassionally take the wrx to remind me how special the sti really is..

·
Registered
114 Posts
cold??????????

I've been driving a 305hp/300ft*lbs car since 1997, and it always puts a smile to my face. Last year I went on a month vacation to the Greek islands (Santorini, Crete etc), where I rented cars with 1.4 - 1.5L engines that barely had over 100hp - actually the cars felt nice for rentals, but when I returned and drove my car I was blown away. You don't appreciate what you have until you drive around with something lesser for a while. I've heard similar stories with people that had to drive Corollas while their car was in the shop.

For the truly paranoid, benchmark it at a 1/4 mile track. Speed at the 1/4 mile is a good indicator of horsepower. I do about 101mph, although the car weighs about 150lbs more than the STi (reflected in the 13.7s time). I think the STi is slightly HP underrated, like APS found out.

·
Registered
411 Posts
kg said:
You don't appreciate what you have until you drive around with something lesser for a while.
Agree, my daily driver is a 99 Golf TDI (Diesel) with 90 HP. So when I switch over to the STi is like getting on it after the break in. This car surprises me everytime I have a chance to take it out. Feel bad for the TDI sometimes, I try to push as if it were the STi.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I feel the same that the car is a bit slow. When I took delivery of the car and rev it till 4k, I said to myself, "Sh*t, this car is fast". I had been driving the low-torque Type R for a few years. When I switched to the STI, I was blown away.

Now I guess I am so used to its speed and drive it everyday during commute time. It is mentally slow. The other night after a long commute home, I found an excuse to go out after dinner to let it open a bit. I changed every gear at 6K and boy, the car was fast. These days I appreciate its handling more and more as I explore. Since we don't have anything above 91 octane in my area, I guess I still have little room to go faster once I found some higher octane gasoline before mods.

·
Registered
376 Posts
i have money to burn!!!!

i too have felt this, and it's been posted before....i dont think it is psychological, i noticed the car doenst kick like it used to, so i tohught it was the ecu....i belive the ecu gets used to how you drive (and if broken in properly you have driven it under 4k) now the ecu knows you take it easy and adapts to that.....to further support my thinking, i took the battery out when installing my headunit, and to my surprise, my car felt the same as wheni first got it..it had more kick......try resettin gyour ecu, and drive your car harder? ok well gtg hope taht helps

·
Registered
437 Posts
Also make sure you have changed your oil recently. And try driving it some time barefoot... I SWEAR it makes a huge difference.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Enjoying my Black/Silver FINALLY!

lstepnio said:
The last guy that posted a thread titled very much like yours totaled his STi shortly after. ;)
Exactly.
Also: I had a problem with my car whereas the boost crept in 6th so that I hit boost cut. After that, I was only able to get 7-8PSI of boost until I reset the ECU. Then, the boost went back to normal. I believe this is what is referred to as "limp mode" and is what the ECU does with conditions that it considers to be dangerous or very problematic. If I did not have a boost gauge, I may not have realized this right away. You guys that are complaining about your car being slow may want to check your boost gauge (check into getting one if you do not have one) and/or try resetting your ECU.

·
Registered
45 Posts
BHODGES3 said:
Also make sure you have changed your oil recently. And try driving it some time barefoot... I SWEAR it makes a huge difference.
I know EXACTLY what you are talking about. I drove my boyfriend's modded Camaro SS barefoot all summer long. It rocks. I hated wearing shoes after that. I even raced it at the dragstrip in really thin thong sandals. The track official wasn't too happy but he let me go anyways. I ran my first twelve like that!
I haven't driven my STi barefoot yet, cause I live in Chicago and it is about 30 degrees out here. And I've only had the car for three weeks. :)

·
Registered
343 Posts
Everytime I feel I'm getting too comfortable with the rush of the 300 horses, I do a search on crashed STis.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts