IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a huge fan of the STi. I had a deposit on one very early in the game, however, I withdrew it after paying a huge tax bill in April. Bummer, right? I plan to purchase one next year. I have not had the chance to drive one, however, I've been @ the wheel in a couple of WRXs.

To all of you happy new owners of the STi, have you found that the car has met your speed / power expectations? Does the car slam you into the seat the way you thought it would?

I ask because I have not had a chance to drive one and I have found in my WRX experiences, that the car did not have enough balls for my taste. I know the the STi is quite obviously a different experience.

I hope you're all having fun out there. Is the car as fast as you expected?

Cheers.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
can you say G force? :) max g's for the sti is like 0.98. (granted, it's short-lived, but no car i've ever driving approaches that.)

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
4MLA1FN said:
can you say G force? :) max g's for the sti is like 0.98. (granted, it's short-lived measure, but no car i've ever driving approaches that.)

How's the driveability in normal traffic flows? My ONLY concern with STi is my _perception_ that it has a hair trigger.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
yeah, that's how it was for me for the first few weeks, but you quickly relearn how to drive. my previous car that i'd driven for 12 years was 140hp normally aspirated, so the sti (with more bottom-end torque and then the turbo rush > 3k) required an enormous change in driving technique. in my old car, when i wanted to squirt through traffic i'd grab 4th, punch it, and scoot off. with the sti, grabbing 4th at 55 and punching it once made my face tingle with the g-forces. no joking. for me, the bottom line is the car is a rush and you quickly relearn, but things got scary when i forgot that i wasn't driving my old jalopy.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I'm looking forward to driving one. I'm concerned about my wife driving it as I'm not sure what she'll do if she grabs a handful of throttle and panics. My plan for her will be to find a deserted parking lot and have her punch it to see how the car, and she, react. Long term plan is to get both of us to a driving school or ride-and-drive type of thing. The STi has much more power and torque that anything the either she or I have driven. Mine's due in Sept (my own call) but I'm getting more and more impatient.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
yeah, my wife, who is a very competent driver, has yet to drive it. this is my call and she's not bummin' about it; she's quite content with her outback wagon.

·
Registered
81 Posts
It is more than I had expected. After driving it (and a regular WRX after I got mine) there is a huge difference.

Difference enough in fact that my brother in law drove mine and immediately traded in his 1 year old WRX on an STi. And to tie this back to the 'wife' aspect of it, my non-performance car sister in law has driven his STi and says that it is quite a handfull, but is fun to drive.

That I think pretty much sums it up.

·
Registered
146 Posts
mx_9 said:
How's the driveability in normal traffic flows? My ONLY concern with STi is my _perception_ that it has a hair trigger.
Once you get the hang of shifting before 4000 during breakin you will have the ability to drive ti pretty smooth. Now that I am past breakin I still find myself shifting about 4000 when driving in traffic. It's really not that bad at all. Much better than by GFs normally aspirated 93 MR2.

·
Premium Member
651 Posts
The STi is fast but very controllable. The power delivery is quick but does build smoothly. The suspension is more than capable of handling the power of the engine and the chassis is unflappable.

·
Registered
28 Posts
It may sound like a crime, but I actually find driving it mellow - near the speed limit - kind of enjoyable. The STI is so strong, it's almost as if we have nothing to prove anymore. My previous car was fun to drive at the limits -so I did it all the time. Its fun to do the same in the STI -but it is truly scary - in a fun way ;) . In order to not get the bejeesus scared out of me every day, I find it kind of fun to drive carefully, with an occational outbreak of course ;)

Maybe I finally understand why Porsche or Ferrari drivers drive so aggrivatingly slow!! :lol:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hello All:

I'm still at around 1000 kms so I've got another 500 to go before letting her loose!

In everyday driving this thing is as docile as you want it to be.

When aggressively taking corners I feel like I'm on that carnival ride - you know: the one called Alpine something - you're sitting three abreast and the g-force is squeezing you to the outside and the music's real loud. It's insane - this thing sticks to the pavement like frickin glue.

Cheers, Phun.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the replies here. Sounds like you're all having a great time. I heard what I wanted, which is that the car actually sometimes scares you. Nice.

I can't wait to join you as a proud owner.

Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
651 Posts
The STi doesn't scare me - it can get the blood boiling though. The first time I really pushed it in a corner and felt the diffs adjusting midcourse the adrenaline rush was incredible. It truly felt like a supercar. Much more exciting to me than going fast in a straight line.

Now for a truly scary straight line experience I need to ride in my friends 800hp Supra. When the wastegate on the T88 opens it sounds like a herd of lusty hippopotomi - scares the h*ll out of you and you better get out of the way quickly.

·
Registered
72 Posts
scared of the power, which comes on quicker and quicker.

scared of the strange feeling of the active differentials adjusting midstream.

but very fun. In the words of my autocross instructor, after he braced himself, expecting a spin; "I can't believe it stuck."

i little more flight time, and I am sure i will grow into it. But, what is next? only danger is that all other cars feel slow!

:wink:

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
STi_Lust said:
Thanks for all the replies here. Sounds like you're all having a great time. I heard what I wanted, which is that the car actually sometimes scares you. Nice.

I can't wait to join you as a proud owner.

Thanks again.
I agree. Best part is that I just received the order number and last digits of my VIN AND that my car is coming in early. What was to be a late Sept delivery is now mid-August! Whew-Hoooooooo!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have my STi coming in September, and I hear a lot of people getting really excited to get their VIN numbers. WHY?? I don't understand what difference it makes if you have it or not. Is it just supposed to make you feel good and reassure you that your car is on its way, or is there some use for it before you even accepted delivery. Some guidance would be great, thanks

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
The order number confirms that your allocation is being filled. The VIN can be used to get specific quotes for insurance. If you search through the archives I believe that you'll find a complete VIN that you can use to piece together the whole number.

So, since everything is allocation based the main thing is that's it's order confirmation which can now be used to track _your_ car.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts