IW STi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
I'm Jim Halpert
8,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just got the hks carbon ti today and i have to say its louder than i expected. its perfectly fine for me but i am anticipating getting pulled over by the cops in my city. first of all is it legal to have in california, secondly if i get pulled over and have to go to the ref, will it be under the 95 decible limit?

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
i dont think any aftermarket exhaust is legal but if u dont have an after market downpipe it shouldnt be too loud . . . :notsure:

·
Registered
12,544 Posts
no it's not legal... any modification to your car is illegal. i had a hks on my rsx before and got pulled over. gave me a fix it ticket but it was a *****. had to switch back to stock, go get it tested by a ref, wake up early in the morning to wait in a long ass line to see a judge... im still gonna get one for my sti tho lol :lol:

·
Registered
459 Posts

no it's not legal... any modification to your car is illegal.

Q4 Does an aftermarket replacement or modified tailpipe or muffler tip constitute a violation of section 27151 VC?

No. Section 27151 VC prohibits the modification of exhaust systems to amplify or increase noise. The officer would have to establish that the modification increased the noise emitted by the vehicle by listening to the exhaust. In general, exhaust system piping, tubing, fittings, cosmetic tips or other passive devices placed behind the muffler have minimal impact on exhaust system sound levels.

Q5 Since Section 27150 requires that the muffler prevent excessive and unusual noise, can the driver of a vehicle be cited for violation of Section 27150 if it emits a sound different than the original factory installed muffler?

No. The prohibition against unusual noise refers to noises that are unusual for motor vehicles. Noise that may be unusual for a particular make or model of vehicle, but which is not necessarily unusual for other motor vehicles, should not be considered in violation, provided the noise is not excessive.

Q6 Aren't all modified exhaust systems unlawful under pollution control laws?

No. Current pollution control laws regarding aftermarket exhaust systems are quite complex, but do permit the installation of a variety of aftermarket and "exempt" systems. Due to the complexity of modem pollution control systems and the laws governing them, the CHP does not provide technical training in this area. Enforcement of pollution control laws is the responsibility of the Bureau of Automotive Repair through the "Smog Check" program.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
yeah what he said^^^

as long as its cat-back(meaning after last cat) its legal, but its gotta be lower than 95db. and i don't think hks is over 95db. so technically its not legal, but you have to prove it to the ref.

·
Registered
459 Posts
as long as its cat-back(meaning after last cat) its legal, but its gotta be lower than 95db. and i don't think hks is over 95db. so technically its not legal, but you have to prove it to the ref.
:confused:
O.K.
Now to end all conjecture. I just got my ticket signed off today, as in this morning. I took it in to the Sheriffs office. He saw that I had my silencer on then he signed off my ticket. Case closed... No ref... No trouble... It is up to the officers discretion. He didn't even make me start up my car.

·
Registered
84 Posts
boataholic said:

The officer would have to establish that the modification increased the noise emitted by the vehicle by listening to the exhaust.

[/COLOR][/FONT]
:rolleyes::tdown:

·
Registered
686 Posts
With my previous car, I was cited for having a modified exhaust (Apexi RS) that was too loud. Those that know exhausts knows that Apexi RS/WS is extremely quiet on any car. The cop just wanted a reason to pull me over. I eventually had my exhaust refereed and found that my exhaust was only 88 dB, well under 95 dB. I went to court and was able to fight and win the exhaust ticket. On the brightside, I was able to get paperwork from the ref stating that my exhaust is under 95 dB just in case I ran into another exhaust ticket.

As long as your exhaust does not alter any emissions equipment and is under 95 dB, you have a good chance of getting away from exhaust tickets in CA...but I highly doubt that the HKS Carbon Ti is under 95 dB.

·
Registered
98 Posts
it IS in fact too loud to be legal. it's well over 95db under the testing conditions. thing is, different cops act different ways, and it helps to be white.

it does. call racism on me all you want, but so cal drivers will tell you that more often than not, cops pull you over for dwa and dwb (driving while asian/black).

i got pulled over by a bike cop as i was entering UCI to meet a friend. no lights or anything, he just followed me into a lot, came up along side. turns out he bought an sti recently (at that time) and was asking if the exhaust was too loud to daily drive :) he loved it. i'm pale and can get away with it lala :p

the silencer you can buy that fits the cf/ti rattles. i hate it. if you want one, pm me. i have it sitting in my garage. i sold the hks and bought a power getter and looove it. for kicks i'm looking for the silencer lol.

all that said, if i didn't have a sound system and a noise-sensitive fiance i'd still be sporting the hks. my favorite is the blitz, but that's just ungodly, sky is falling, i'm going to kill myself loud.

god it sounds good though.

please take my remarks regarding race as they are meant. i'm not sure if folks from outside so cal (especially SGV) will really get it. it isn't mississippi burning style harassment, but it's not much better.

·
I'm Jim Halpert
8,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok well how many of you have been running the hks carbon ti's without any problems in so cal?

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
WESTI said:
ok well how many of you have been running the hks carbon ti's without any problems in so cal?
its a nice piece, but you are ASKING to get pulled over. and if you do, the cop will probably ask you to pop your hood so he can take a look. if anything looks unfamiliar, he will send you to the referree for decibal check AND smog check. you have to pay $$ and waste your time. if you have any mods whatsoever and the ref's catch them, youre gonna have to remove them and then go back again. bleh! IMO, i would get something a little more stock looking, if you plan to mod (tbe, intake, etc...). hope this helps :tup:

·
Premium Member
8,137 Posts
hks FTW

·
I'm Jim Halpert
8,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i just got off the phone with hks usa and found out that it IS noise compliant for use in california BUT (and here the important part) there cant be any other modification to the car

·
Registered
451 Posts
in socal and have carbon ti with invidia v3 catted dp. no issues. was pulled over in my 04 with v2 catless and carbon ti. saw ref, but i changed my dp to stock and passed decible test 92/92/93. cool thing now is that i have a state certification with picture of exhaust stating legal for california. take that coppers!:evilbanan

·
I'm Jim Halpert
8,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
so stock dp and carbon ti catback and u passed? any other mods on the car?

·
Registered
451 Posts
well when i took the decible test with a bunch of mods. i had to return home for 2 days and remove everything else for the visual. damn those refs found everything but my black perrin pulley. suckers! they are getting smarter though.

·
Registered
12,544 Posts
Legal or illegal. It's a *****, you gotta go get it tested to prove that your are indeed under 95 db. When I was pulled over in my rsx for my hks exhaust, it was in Irvine. It's an automatic and was waiting at a light, as soon as the light turned green and before I put my foot on the gas he turned turned his sirens on for me to pull over. I agree with the asian/black bias when it comes to cops. He asked me if I had drugs or weapons in the car... what a stupid ass question. Asian+Lowered Import = Gangster to cops especially in a city like Irvine.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts