IW STi Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed an IPOD mount/ charger into their STi yet?
I am planning on doing it with my 30gb ipod, and i was looking for people who either have done it or are planning to, so we can brinstorm on a nice quality install..

let me know, i've seen posts online, such as on ipodlounge.com but so far nothing sti or wrx specific.

-Jay

·
Registered
105 Posts
So far, I have just ran a cable from the back of my headunit (as an auxilary IN) out just below the ashtray so the iPod can sit in the tray in front of the shifter. I would love to see a mount in there instead. I wonder what VW is doing in their Beetles that are coming with iPod's? I'll stay tuned to this thread!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

As you can see the beetle set up is really cheesy... it actually runs through the tape deck with an adapter. And as far as power, they give you a cigarette adapter too.
Yipee :-?

How cheap.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Thread in Exterior section

Yeah, don't think I'll be doing that! With all the cell phone and GPS mounts that are out there, it probably won't be long till someone comes out with one. It's been a while since I checked all the usual iPod accessory vendors... I'll see what's out there.

Randy

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Should be an easy solution as long as you have a mount and a way to get the signal to the system. Not sure how to get the signal out of the iPod without having it be an amplified signal...that will suck if that can't be done.

Power....just take that cig lighter plug, cut it off and hardwire it in...just like a radar detector.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

That is the auto charge i bought, and intend on hard wiring into the car behind the dash. As you can see there is a preamp output on the plug part. This will allow me to put a monster y cable and plug it into the aux imput in the back of the head unit.

This is an idea for the mount, so the ipod isn't just sitting in the cup holder or the ashtray.

What do you think.... i'm also thinking about a mount on the side of the radio like this...

What do you think?

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Eh...is that preamp? Looks like it has a volume control on it, which would mean you are still getting the amplified signal.

Isn't there anyone hooking an iPod up to a home entertainment system with RCAs? I don't know much about the little things, but I know they have modding forums for em.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts