IW STi Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This isn't to blame Invidia for anything, more to caution Ti exhaust users. Since Ti is highly corrosion resistant, there's no need to have a thicker tube wall to allow for some % corrosion per year as stainless does. So what happened was the exhaust hanger on the mid-pipe tore off in the last autocross, leaving a nice 2" x 1" hole. It actually had been cracked on the bottom for a while but never fixed it. With the hole my STi became embarrasingly loud :eek: . So for $19 a local alloy welding shop fixed it...but I can see some cracks in the weld because Ti is tough to work with and I'm sure they have no experience with it. When it goes back on I'm just not using the midpipe hanger - there's almost no mass here, so the 3 hangers in the back are just fine.

Moral of the story - Ti catbacks can break, but IMHO still worth the cost and very glad I have one!

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
you'll be fine w/ just the three. i'm running three now with my stainless exhaust w/o a problem while i wait for some new hangers.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Still seems odd that the metal broke on the autocross or cracked at all for that matter. Are you sure the exhaust is just not robust enough for enthusiast use?

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tortfeasor STi said:
Still seems odd that the metal broke on the autocross or cracked at all for that matter. Are you sure the exhaust is just not robust enough for enthusiast use?
it cracked first on the bottom where the hanger meets the tube (edge of the weld)...was cracked for at least 6 months. Then the last autox was enough stress (temperature and vibration, we run in a very tough lot) to break it off. Not at all surprising when you see the wall thickness of this tube. Robust is a matter of opinion. Technically no, if it broke it's not robust enough for the daily enthusiast. Higher performing parts are designed closer to the edge of failure...

·
Premium Member
8,137 Posts
subiesteye said:
is the invidia g200 a good buy then?
of coarse it is;)

·
Registered
745 Posts
ValvetrainEngineer said:
This isn't to blame Invidia for anything, more to caution Ti exhaust users. Since Ti is highly corrosion resistant, there's no need to have a thicker tube wall to allow for some % corrosion per year as stainless does. So what happened was the exhaust hanger on the mid-pipe tore off in the last autocross, leaving a nice 2" x 1" hole. It actually had been cracked on the bottom for a while but never fixed it. With the hole my STi became embarrasingly loud :eek: . So for $19 a local alloy welding shop fixed it...but I can see some cracks in the weld because Ti is tough to work with and I'm sure they have no experience with it. When it goes back on I'm just not using the midpipe hanger - there's almost no mass here, so the 3 hangers in the back are just fine.

Moral of the story - Ti catbacks can break, but IMHO still worth the cost and very glad I have one!
You need to have a person skilled with ti welding because the metal is a bit*h and it requires special welding. It's even to the fact that companies like yoshimura ( for bikes) have a special department for their titanuim where their titanium is welded is a fully sealed oxygenated room to get the purest and best quality weld....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts