IW STi Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody running or heard in person a R400 on a hatch or even just on the GR? I've heard a very small # of videos on them. Most of what i can find is on the 15+.

I love the look but wondering how they are on a hatch.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Anybody running or heard in person a R400 on a hatch or even just on the GR? I've heard a very small # of videos on them. Most of what i can find is on the 15+.

I love the look but wondering how they are on a hatch.
it sounds amazing on a GR. That's what i had on before i traded it in. i tried to post a clip but it wont work.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome, thanks man. Traded exhaust or traded in car? What was it like on the highway?

I have always driven lifted jeeps and straight piped diesels so "drone" is a subjective word haha. I think I am more immune to it than most but still want to make sure I don't buy something my passengers will hate on long trips.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Awesome, thanks man. Traded exhaust or traded in car? What was it like on the highway?

I have always driven lifted jeeps and straight piped diesels so "drone" is a subjective word haha. I think I am more immune to it than most but still want to make sure I don't buy something my passengers will hate on long trips.
traded in the car for an 18. on the hwy it wasnt too bad until you get on it. boy it gets loud. not a lot of drone.

Invidia R400 cold start on 13 STI - YouTube

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the video clip. Man it sounds good! I just need to man up and order it and deal with whatever I get because it looks and sounds amazing!

·
Registered
29 Posts
In-cabin dB levels on the R400 get to 101-102 in 6th gear going up a hill on the highway and drones bad. Sits around 96-97dB when cruising at 60mph which gives you about an hour before hearing damage sets in. This is on a heavily modified GR STi with EL headers, aftermarket downpipe+uppipe etc. I think it's perfect on a stock WRX but man it's loud cruising around on a modded STI.

City driving it sounds great, hits peaks of 100+dB but aren't sustained.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In-cabin dB levels on the R400 get to 101-102 in 6th gear going up a hill on the highway and drones bad. Sits around 96-97dB when cruising at 60mph which gives you about an hour before hearing damage sets in. This is on a heavily modified GR STi with EL headers, aftermarket downpipe+uppipe etc. I think it's perfect on a stock WRX but man it's loud cruising around on a modded STI.

Thanks for the reply. Currently the car is all stock but I know myself and that wont be for long. Unleashing the subie rumble is just the first step. Plenty of mods to come so sadly, it sounds like my best bet would be to pass on the R400 and go towards something quieter since it'll only get louder with modifications.

·
Registered
37 Posts

i just had a downpipe and intake so it wasnt that bad.

·
Registered
29 Posts
i just had a downpipe and intake so it wasnt that bad.
That's probably perfect. The 100+dB drone on the highway at 60mph was coming from the bass of the low RPMs as well - if you cruise at 70mph instead you get out of that bass range and it's much more manageable.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I want the R400 too. my magnaflow is too quiet

I had muffler deletes with a glasspack resonator and that shit was so loud, I couldn't drive my car for long periods because the drone was bad. I couldn't hear the turbo spool lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts