IW STi Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title states, all of a sudden, my exhaust is much louder than it was. Not just louder, but higher pitched as well. The only two possible causes for this are as follows: (as far as I know, anyway)

1. This weekend I drove about 1300 miles on various southeastern interstates. My average speed was 85mph in sixth gear, with occasional pulls up to 120mph to get around large groups of slow moving cars. This is the first time I've driven for any real long period of time with the new exhaust and stage 2 OTS map. (And WOW does stage 2 ever pull harder up top than stock!!)

2. When I got home to Tampa last night, the skies opened up on me on the way to grocery store, and I mean OPENED UP. There was 8-10 inches of water in the road in less than 3 minutes. Long story short, I got water in the exhaust, and might have pulled some water into the intake (though it seems kinda unlikely that I did, as the car is running normally other than the loudness of the exhaust note.)

I should note that the exhaust did seem to be getting gradually louder from the time that I installed it, but this was very gradual (taking place over the span of 3 weeks) and only noticeable to myself since I drive the car every day. Also, I noticed the loudness last night, when I got the car out of the flooded streets, and under a bank drive-thru to check how high the water made it into the engine bay. I thought "If it sounds normal tomorrow, I won't worry about it." But this morning when I left for work, there is was again.

Does anyone here have an explanation for this? Would/could either of these two scenarios cause this?

Thanks in advance,
Menik

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
If you had been driving for hours, your exhaust would be extremely hot. Submerging it in water would have cooled it extremly rapidly, warping or even cracking it. The change in tone is probably an exhaust leak. Long story short- put the car on ramps and inspect the exhaust.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
stretch said:
If you had been driving for hours, your exhaust would be extremely hot. Submerging it in water would have cooled it extremly rapidly, warping or even cracking it. The change in tone is probably an exhaust leak. Long story short- put the car on ramps and inspect the exhaust.
I guess I should have said that the car sat in my driveway for at least an hour before I left for the grocery store. Do you really think it stayed hot enough that long?

·
Registered
549 Posts
Do you have any cats in your exhaust? If (it's unlikely, but could have happened) you got a little water in you exhaust and into the cat, the cat can erode. My friend did this to his truck. He ran the truck on the highway for a while then sprayed water in the tailpipe while the truck was running. Upon state inspection, they see a cat but they just don't know that it is now empty.

·
Premium Member
8,226 Posts
guirgis2005 said:
i hear exhausts get louder once u break it in
well, when i put my g200 on, just catback, the sound is same as now, i didnt notice a diff....but yeah deff if u put on a aftermarket dp it will get deeeeeeeper and loud at WOT, what u no likey?:D

·
Registered
460 Posts
I have the exact same setup. After 3k it's a monster. Just keep the Rs down a bit and you're good. Definetly check your exhaust for leaks as I agree with the scenario that it was super hot then the rain cooled it possibly breaking a weld.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Okay so, after work yesterday, my roommate (who is a mechanic) had a look and a listen to the exhaust. His theory is that it is water damage, but not necessarily an exhaust leak. He thinks that the G200 and other exhausts like it have fiberglass lining the muffler and resonator, and that when the water entered the exhaust, it messed up this lining. His reasoning is that the noise is only coming out of the back of the muffler, and not anywhere else under the car.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? I plan on calling jetworld today to see what they think, but if I could be more informed going into that call I would probably be better off.

OKflyswatter said:
Do you have any cats in your exhaust?
I'm 100% Catless.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
srascal said:
My exaust continued to get louder for the 1st month I had it. And its always louder after you go on a long trip or beat on the car alot. I think what youre experiencing is completley normal, I seriously doubt its "water damage"
Well, I was thinking that initially it probably was the long trip, but I don't know how I wouldn't have noticed it when I first went out that night... When I got out of the flood it really seemed like it was 2x as loud and sounded a lot more like a "fart can" style exhaust than it did before. I guess it's possible that I just didn't notice when first went out, but that seems really unlikely because of the degree of difference.

Before, it sounded very deep, and smooth. Now, it's quite a bit rougher sounding and noticeably higher pitched. Also, it seems like it's a lot easier to make the car backfire now; it used to take just the right timing when shifting after hard acceleration, and now it pretty much does it every time I shift after even moderately hard acceleration.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.