IW STi Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What exactly is that material the seats in the STi are made out of? I am wondering if they will be safe to get scotchgarded or whatever it is called? This will actually be the first clothed interior vehicle I own and am worried about the blue seats getting dirty over time. Anyone know if it's safe to have the dealer or someplace apply some sort of stain protection?

·
Registered
631 Posts
I think that it should be fine. I'm thinking that the scotchguard doesn't bother leather so you should be fine with the Eccsaine(?). If anything, if the dealer does it for you and they mess up the fabric, then it would be there mistake anyway.

·
Registered
9 Posts
From the developer site: "Ecsaine* has a structure resembling natural suede, and consists of ultrafine fibers (0.01 to 0.2 denier) closely intertwinded into bundles. Earning high praise for its outstanding quality, feel and functionality, Ecsaine* is used in a wide range of applications, including clothing, upholstery, wall coverings, automobile trim, and sporting goods such as golf gloves and sports shoes."

There is a man-made suede in the seat of the second generation Lightning and mine got treated at dealership with no ill effects. Still, they called the treatment chemical manufacturer to check first for compatibility. You can allways call and check with the treatment manufacturer (specially important if you are applying the stuff yourself!). Those seats are too nice and expensive to be ruined "accidentally." Evil One :evil:

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. Yeah I heard before it was similar to suede and I know how careful you have to be with that. I also don't want to fade or change the color of them either.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Ecsaine is the Asian version of synthetic suede - Alcantara is the European version. In other words, it's the same stuff. For another example of a car with very similar fabric layout, check out a late model Audi S4 (Alcantara), or select versions of the Lexus IS300 (Ecsaine).

My curiosity is on care instructions- Does anyone know what to do if coffee gets spilled on the stuff?? (I know- real bad idea, but these things happen ;)

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
You can also buy Scotchgard in a can for leather jackets and such. Its really easy to use. I wonder how easy it would be to open all of the doors and spray the seats down.

daghdha did your car kinda stink after they Scotchgarded your STi.

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
I don't think its really bad, but I think it has an odor. These days it may smell like nothing. How much did scotchgaurdingset you back? I'm curious because I have a kid and would also like to keep that blue looking good for as long as possible.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I had mine done at the dealer today. They actually took it to a detail shop that they have behind the dealership. I shelled out about 400 bucks with tax to have it done. Im with you all though, I think it's worth it to protect the inside. And it has a lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I have never allowed anyone to eat or drink in my cars. Ever. And, of course, no kids in the car unless they're in the trunk (I mean, that must be why Subaru installed an escape hatch, right?).

Makes Scotchgarding completely unecessary. :)

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Do you take your shoes off when you drive or sit on a towel? I am not worried about eating or drinking just general dirt on the seats and especially the floor. Wait till after the first winter and see how clean the carpet stays. Since my STi is my daily driver and taken on road trips often I can see eating or drinking occasionally happening too.

·
Registered
452 Posts
coxSTI said:
I had mine done at the dealer today. They actually took it to a detail shop that they have behind the dealership. I shelled out about 400 bucks with tax to have it done. Im with you all though, I think it's worth it to protect the inside. And it has a lifetime warranty.
That sounds expensive...! :eek: I did ScotchGuarding on my sofa myself a few years ago, and it didn't even cost $100. Maybe, I am just completely ignorant and possibly different (and more expensive) types of ScotchGuard products are used on cars...

Either that, they charged you for the _service_...

·
Registered
289 Posts
The regular canned Scotchgurad says not to use the product on suede or synthetic suede either. I guess they have different types for these materials so make sure you get the right can if you do it yourself.

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wow, I just got a warranty certificate in the mail from the scotchguarding I had done through the dealer. It is warrantied for 5 years and if there is a stain that can not be removed they will replace the material. I figured there was a warranty but did not expect it to be so "official" and in writing. Glad I had it done.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Actually, I did exactly that. Bought two cans of Scotchgard for Automobiles for $11-12... and sprayed two layers, each with a 12 hour seal delay.

I bought two cans because I thought that one bottle wouldn't be enough, but even after two seals of all fabric surfaces I could think of (mats, seats, trunks, carpet...), I still have some left over in the first can. :p

But, of course, I don't get a fancy guarantee in a mail... :oops: I ... will.. just .. print one on my own and in case of any stain, I will buy myself Momo seats.. :lol:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts