IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'd like to know whats the best time to use the water sprayer for my intercooler.. and when i'm not suppose to use it. i'd also like to know what the advantages of using it. thx :lol:

·
Banned
54 Posts
bahlool said:
i'd like to know whats the best time to use the water sprayer for my intercooler.. and when i'm not suppose to use it. i'd also like to know what the advantages of using it. thx :lol:
Helps aid in cooling the air in the intercooler through evaporation. Use it as much as you want but especially if you want to go as fast as possible. No bad time to use it.
THE biggest advantage is about 4-6 Hp.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
50% is 100 proof, which is flammable. Since the tank is in the trunk and the intercooler is under the hood, you're routing a flammable liquid through the passenger cabin. Probably not a good idea.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Slowride said:
50% is 100 proof, which is flammable. Since the tank is in the trunk and the intercooler is under the hood, you're routing a flammable liquid through the passenger cabin. Probably not a good idea.
not to mention spraying a flammable liquid on a hot engine.

cnstman

·
Registered
39 Posts
I agree with the others, that since the spray is on top of the motor, I would highly recommend not spraying a flamable liquid on top the motor. The idea is great, since isoprophyl alcohol evaporates quicker, but the result could be disasterous. 99% of the spray would evaporate on the intercooler, but just imagine if the spray would malfuction and spill it's contents on the motor.

Best time to use the sprayer = When moving. The wind traveling through the scoop will evaporate the water faster.

·
Registered
70 Posts
It never ceases to amaze me how quick people on these pages critize(spelling) others. I started with 2 bottles of 70% isopropyl then topped with water. This is far from 100 proof and not flamable. I'm not even sure it would be if it was 100 proof. So sorry guys, I may have mispoke about the % but I'm not stupid enough to spray flamable liquid on a hot manifold or intercooler. And yes, it seems to work a little better.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Alcohol burns cold anyway.... even if it caught on fire on your intercooler it would probably just burn up the alcohol (assuming you weren't continuing to spray constantly....) and go out, without doing any dammage to your intercooler or anything else.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Virgil said:
It never ceases to amaze me how quick people on these pages critize(spelling) others.
I wasn't being quick to criticize, I was being quick to issue a safety warning. I'm more concerned about preventing people from hurting themselves or their cars than I am about hurting your feelings.

I started with 2 bottles of 70% isopropyl then topped with water. This is far from 100 proof and not flamable.
Approximately how many bottles of water did you add? How did you test for flammability? Did you try to burn the alcohol/water mix in the tank? Did you try to light the fumes created by spraying it on a hot surface?

I'm not even sure it would be if it was 100 proof. So sorry guys, I may have mispoke about the % but I'm not stupid enough to spray flamable liquid on a hot manifold or intercooler. And yes, it seems to work a little better.
100 proof booze is flammable, at least when heated. I have no personal knowledge of your intelligence, but since you never mentioned the possibility of flammability, I didn't want to assume you'd considered it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Yes youre right ethanol is flamable at 100proof. But this is isopropyl. It doesn't seem as flamable. I don't have actual data to back it up but the stuff im my tank doesn't burn when a lighter is held to it, it does cool my hand off real quick from the evaporation though. As far as concerns for the rubber I think the damage would be minor if any. Thanks for your concern. :wink:

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Idea for an STI television commercial

I think the alcohol will have minimal benefit, certainly not enough to outweigh the possible negatives of chemical attack on the whole system. The IC works best as a heat sink; the way to use the IC spray varies with the type of racing you're doing. If it's a stop light launch or a 0-60, 1/4 mile, etc. just soak it good before racing, then during this relatively short race the aluminum will just be soaking up the heat. If it's a longer autocross, some type of pre-soak and then a continuous may help some...

·
wie geht es ihnen?
2,218 Posts
ValvetrainEngineer said:
I think the alcohol will have minimal benefit, certainly not enough to outweigh the possible negatives of chemical attack on the whole system. The IC works best as a heat sink; the way to use the IC spray varies with the type of racing you're doing. If it's a stop light launch or a 0-60, 1/4 mile, etc. just soak it good before racing, then during this relatively short race the aluminum will just be soaking up the heat. If it's a longer autocross, some type of pre-soak and then a continuous may help some...
i would agree. isn't the latent heat of vaporization of H20 much higher for water than alcohol? meaning it takes a lot more energy to heat and evaporate H2O...which would mean more heat is taken away from the IC?

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
dmpi said:
I would also be concerned with Alcohol hurting the plastic and rubber fittings, let alone a engine fire.
They use basically the same thing to run windshield washer fluid, which is what I fill my IC spray 1/2 way with (to keep from freezing) so... everything should be fine. That and all your lines/fittings will be cleaned everytime you spray! Along with the IC (and no it doesnt leave a residue).

i would agree. isn't the latent heat of vaporization of H20 much higher for water than alcohol? meaning it takes a lot more energy to heat and evaporate H2O...which would mean more heat is taken away from the IC?
Yes, but when used in mass amounts, wouldnt it be better for the alcohol to quickly evaporate taking heat away and hten being able ot dump that in mass quantities, rather then dumping water (as water wouldnt absorb it quick enough and would just drop right through - in mass quantities). IMO the alcohol would be better as it would see to reduce heat better as it would use up all of the alcohol and quickly evaporate, meaning at a light or at the strip you could REALLY soak it good and absorb a ton, quickly and without waste. Also another thing... alcohol feels 10x colder on your hands (use that hand sanitizer stuff) then water, so wouldnt it give the air a more cold temperature? Granted its not heat and evaporating as much , but I'd assume the surface temps would be colder? (Note: these are all just me thinking out loud. If you have some way to prove me wrong, please do as Im just trying to learn here ;) ).

Robert~

·
wie geht es ihnen?
2,218 Posts
staticx313 said:
Yes, but when used in mass amounts, wouldnt it be better for the alcohol to quickly evaporate taking heat away and hten being able ot dump that in mass quantities, rather then dumping water (as water wouldnt absorb it quick enough and would just drop right through - in mass quantities). IMO the alcohol would be better as it would see to reduce heat better as it would use up all of the alcohol and quickly evaporate, meaning at a light or at the strip you could REALLY soak it good and absorb a ton, quickly and without waste. Also another thing... alcohol feels 10x colder on your hands (use that hand sanitizer stuff) then water, so wouldnt it give the air a more cold temperature? Granted its not heat and evaporating as much , but I'd assume the surface temps would be colder? (Note: these are all just me thinking out loud. If you have some way to prove me wrong, please do as Im just trying to learn here ;) ).

Robert~
Robert, truly i don't recall my chemistry and thermodynamics that well anymore. it's been years since college. you could be totally correct with alcohol being a better coolant.

·
Registered
586 Posts
bitabur said:
Alcohol burns cold anyway.... even if it caught on fire on your intercooler it would probably just burn up the alcohol (assuming you weren't continuing to spray constantly....) and go out, without doing any dammage to your intercooler or anything else.
It takes a lot alcohol and a long time to really burn much. I can recall watching several idiots back in HS light themsleves on fire with alcohol. :eek: It'll burn the hair off you and scare the bejeezus out of onlookers but won't even burn your skin. Much... :-?

As far as getting alcohol on the engine, the heat from the engine would be probably be enough to instantly vaporize the alcohol.

If you're going to use high potency alcohol, I would suggest using Everclear. Mix with 2 parts "Dole Strawberry Breeze" and 1 part Fresh Lemonade. What you don't spray, you can drink! ;)

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
I think the key to whether it's a better coolant lies in the simple observation that alcohol feels cooler on your hands.

If it's evaporating too quickly, just add more of it to keep the process going. :)

As for lighting yourself on fire in HS chemistry, yes, I watched a few of the less intelligent folks do this as well..... no dammage, cool burning.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
question about stock air box

The question is, is more heat being dissipated through evaporation or through conduction? Alcohol will certainly do better in evaporation, but water would conduct more (and then just get blown off the fins by the air flow). Sounds like a great school project in heat transfer...

1 - 20 of 49 Posts