IW STi Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone heard of what we're supposed to do with the intercooler water spray reservoir in the winter? I know the manual says to only fill it halfway to allow for freezing, but isn't it the "freezing" that's the problem? That little plastic reservoir will crack for sure...won't it? I wonder if I just empty it out before it gets real cold, and make sure to bleed all the remaining water out if the line, if that will solve the problem. As many of you probably live in warmer climates, this may not be a problem. However, this is something I think I need to think about.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
I wouldn't be concerned about it. The lines themselves are a flexible rubber to allow for any freezing that might occur. If the reservior is not completely full, it will expand upward as it freezes. Remember, it won't freeze all at once. Just to test it, throw a half-full 2 liter bottle in the freezer sometime. It will expand a little because the plastic is so flexible, but for the most part, the water will go where it can...up.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Put some washer fluid in it. If your windshield washer fluid doesn't freeze and blow up its reservoir then the same thing should be true of the IC spray fluid. I think you'll be alright as long as you don't fill up the whole thing.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've heard that you aren't supposed to put anything but water in the reservoir though. Have you heard something different?

T

·
0 Posts
Re: Carbon Fiber insert pics?

Yea the water level will go up as it freezes and won't put any strain on the container. Think about your platic ice cube tray in the freezer, those don't break. But when you put too much water the ice cube is bigger than the container and spills over on the top.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Who's ridin' up around here?

Thanks for the tips. With all the examples, I feel like I'm part of some crazy science experiement. Where's Bill Nie the science guy when you need him :) Not sure I spelled "Nie" correctly...oh well.

·
Drive True
6,833 Posts
It's Nye. I was just thinking right now how come I know that...then I remember there was a girl that lived in my complex that was on that show...she said to check it out...she was Bill's assistant, kinda hyper. This was several years ago so I dunno if she's still on there. :wink:

·
Registered
99 Posts
Keep driving west and don't stop till ya see bikinis

I'm worried about the pump. Does it expand when water freezes in it? What if it got turned on while frozen? I bet that would be hard on it. I'm running mine low and adding washer fluid. Then I will pull the hose off the intercooler spayer and let it spray on the.... window?...the car next to me?....into the washer tank?...or just plug it?....hmmm, I still have a month or two to mess with it. :)

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
I'm sure Subaru has thought about this stuff guys. Since there is no warning of any kind in the manual, I wouldn't worry about it. Should something happen, it's warranty time come spring!

·
Registered
4 Posts
CloNeGTS said:
I'm sure Subaru has thought about this stuff guys. Since there is no warning of any kind in the manual, I wouldn't worry about it. Should something happen, it's warranty time come spring!
Yup, Yup!! I agree. I think even if it does freeze you probably won't use it as soon as you start your car. So as you Drive the car any water if it's frozen will melt as the engine heats up. Even though it's cold it will heat up. So maybe if your super conscious about something breaking don't use it, if you suspect it is frozen. And you probably won't use it if it's cold cause there is already cold air going in there. haha. (Thats what I think)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts