IW STi Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The more I looked at the hood scoop mesh/screen the more I thought it was probably restricting too much air.

So, I took it out and got a new piece of mesh (gutter gaurd). I laid it directly on IC (long way mesh to long way IC). I bent the mesh down to lay flat against the fins and then wrapped it up around the side edges of the IC, and then over to the back of the intercooler side edges (for secure fit).

NOTE: There is a small strip of fins (maybe 1/2") that isn't covered by the mesh (at top), but 90% of the IC is covered.

It took about 2 minutes of bending and then cutting off excess (length-wise) to get a good fit. I watched the rubber scoop seal as it came down and checked it through the scoop, once the hood was shut. It appeared to seal down just fine.

I installed a downpipe the same day, so I can't single out the effect of just the "mesh move". But, since I moved my mesh directly onto the IC I have maintained very low IC temps, and my fins have not experienced any excess debris damage.

---This is the logic I used---
Now, w/out the scoop mesh, as much air as possible is entering the scoop (it was restricted before) and that increased volume of air has more (IC mounted) mesh holes to pass through to hit the IC fins, since the IC mounted mesh piece is larger than the scoop mounted mesh piece.

Plus, since the mesh touches the fins, the mesh itself heats up and dissipates heat (as the air hits it), as if it were fins. So, it appears I gained even more cooling, as the mesh itself is acting as a cooling fin.

Obviously, this will not provide quite as much protection, as the scoop mounted mesh; but, at least you know there is a IC protection alternative that offers better cooling than the scoop mesh.

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
Very nicely put.

I think you'll be fine as far as protection, it's not like you got golf balls flying around when you drive.

Nice mod, going to add this to my list.

P.

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
Davidsk5018 said:
I can't imagine that the hood screen blocks much air. Especially, if you use the gutter guard.
Prove it scientifically.

·
Registered
179 Posts
If you read the thread above that 4MLAFN posted, they talk about how it wouldn't really matter under normal driving conditions. Besides, Measuring the pixels in photoshop is hardly scientific...Thats all. It seems to be over-analyzing to me. Do what you will, though.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Besides, what objects are you hoping to stop? The only thing that the gutter guard will protect you from is leaves :lol: But seriously, the holes in the gutter guard are pretty large to hope to block small stones and rocks. If you have something that big coming at your scoop, youre gonna have bigger problems than bent fins on your intercooler.

I only say this because It doesn't seem to make much sense. I have the gutter guard on my scoop, but only because I like the way it looks. That alone is enough to have it in my opinion.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Think there will be an STi wagon anytime soon?

I used a piece of medium/fine mesh Kevlar and just cut it to fit over the fins of the intercooler,,,no reduction in air flow at all.
The reason i like it under the hood is,,when working on the car i sometimes drop things ie tools,parts lol.
Now i can gently lay tools/ their without worring about damage.
BTW you can still read the STI through the mesh.

Rudy

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
No reduction in airflow at all?

Take a sheet of that stuff, and cover your mouth with it, and breathe through it for a while. Then tell me there's no reduction in air flow at all....

·
Registered
11 Posts
bitabur said:
No reduction in airflow at all?

Take a sheet of that stuff, and cover your mouth with it, and breathe through it for a while. Then tell me there's no reduction in air flow at all....
Good grief, your kidding right?

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
I don't know that I quite buy the occlusion study as performed. I don't doubt the facts presented, but I would lean towards the flow being disrupted vs. being completely blocked. The air will have to flow around the fins, but that doesn't mean that air is not entering the hood scoop. I'd like to see an FEA model of this flow pattern. My gut would say the airflow is distrupted significantly but that it is not blocked.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Disrupted = slowed down.

If the air is slowed down it creates a higher pressure zone inside the intercooler bay, and therefore a higher pressure front at the opening of the hood scoop.

This means that more air at the front of the car will be directed around the intercooler than normal, and as a result, less air will be directed into it.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
bitabur said:
Disrupted = slowed down.

If the air is slowed down it creates a higher pressure zone inside the intercooler bay, and therefore a higher pressure front at the opening of the hood scoop.

This means that more air at the front of the car will be directed around the intercooler than normal, and as a result, less air will be directed into it.
Yeah, Subaru made the scoop bigger for a reason, just leave it alone people : )

...show car queers should buy a second TMIC and install it at the show ; )

-st

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
bitabur said:
Disrupted = slowed down.

Yes, but what do you think it happening when the air is turned 90 degrees and hits an IC? The flow is being disrupted like crazy regardless. The high pressure zone is being created at the IC face as well. Does having a second head loss zone at the scoop help, I'm sure it doesn't. Does it make a significant difference....I wouldn't guess so but flow analysis would be nice. Anyone have a wind tunnel handy?

I really think worrying about something of this magnitude is a moot point. Until someone starts showing quarter mile differences in screened and non-screened STis, I'd rather know that the fins on my IC are protected. And on-IC vs. in scoop......I'd rather have the bug carcass on the exterior in unbaked form vs. cooked to my IC.

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
I wonder what the difference would be between running a screen on an undamaged IC and running no screen with several bent fins and dead bugs on the IC. I have seen some TMICs with a lot of miles on them and they are in rough shape.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts