IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
Taking off the scoop and doing the screen is really easy. Just use the template that is floating around here.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
No need to take the scoop off. Just drive over to your local Home Depot or Lowe's and buy some aluminum mesh screen, cut to size, and stick right on top of the intercooler. Catches all the rocks, leaves, etc. with minimal air flow restriction...

·
Drive True
6,833 Posts
The hood scoop screen looks much cooler (pun intended) though :)

Plus you stop debris from damaging other components before even entering the car although it is pretty much channeled onto the intercooler...

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
The biggest benefit that the scoop screen vs. the lay-on-top screen is that the scoop screen doesn't interfere with the seal that comes down on top of the IC. How much this affects everything.....dunno.

I've also come to appreciate the 'clean' look of the scoop screen.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
ValvetrainEngineer said:
...with minimal air flow restriction...
i doubt the restriction is anywhere near minimal. i did a coarse calculation of the scoop screen and found greater than 30% restriction. hardly minimal. depends on the mesh, but i'll bet most mesh gives about the same restriction.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
4MLA1FN said:
ValvetrainEngineer said:
...with minimal air flow restriction...
i doubt the restriction is anywhere near minimal. i did a coarse calculation of the scoop screen and found greater than 30% restriction. hardly minimal. depends on the mesh, but i'll bet most mesh gives about the same restriction.
Did your calculation consider how much of the small wire area is actually overlapping the cooling fins anyways? I didn't do any math, just empirical work: I have a indoor/outdoor thermometer installed with the 'outdoor' sitting just underneath the IC. When I installed it (August) I drove around with and without the screen and saw no repeatable difference - sometimes temp was higher, sometimes lower. For track days I'd remove it, for daily driving I wouldn't use anything else -

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
ValvetrainEngineer said:
Did your calculation consider how much of the small wire area is actually overlapping the cooling fins anyways?
the scoop screen i was referring to sits at the entrance of the scoop, not on the i/c itself. your test is a good one though.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
ok, similar topic, I am looking for a piece of "filter foam" large enough to place inside the scoop covering the entire IC.

I know that filter foam can withstand the heat of the engine bay and also should not be a significant restriction. The benefit would be to catch any and all debris going into the scoop.

Any thoughts from anyone here?

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Xman said:
...also should not be a significant restriction.
try to breath through it and see how insignificant the restriction isn't. what's wrong with the two existing solutions?

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Any kind of foam would not be a good idea....

Filters have air being forced through them and it still impedes the flow....

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
I know it would be a reduction in flow for sure, but I was just curious because it would definitely protect the IC from all but the largest or sharpest objects.

The problem with the existing solutions in the snowy areas is that the sand/salt/slag particles that are put down on icy roads gets through all the existing solutions. A foam piece would protect it 100%. I'm not looking for the optimal performance solution, just the most protection.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Xman said:
The problem with the existing solutions in the snowy areas is that the sand/salt/slag particles that are put down on icy roads gets through all the existing solutions. A foam piece would protect it 100%. I'm not looking for the optimal performance solution, just the most protection.
y'know, i'm thinking perhaps we're going a little overboard here. first, an i/c is *just* a radiator. who here is freaking out about protecting their radiator that is up front and fully exposed to the elements? *no one*. second, imagine what the evo people and others with their big-a$$ fmic fully exposed to any and all debris. are any of them stressing about sand/salt/slag particles? doubt it.

all i'm saying is that in the big picture, we have it pretty good. put a screen, of some kind, and you'll be fine. if you want to put a filter, knock yourself out. but if you really want to keep particles of sand/salt/slag just block the scoop. ;)

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Yeah, I might be going overboard, but I thought if I could pick something up cheaply I would. I wish the IC were 'just a radiator' but the air to air nature of it makes it so much less efficient than the air to water types that conserving it is in the best interest of performance. Maybe I'll just make up an air to water system so that I won't need a scoop and will get better efficiency and more consistant temps anyway ;)

Or I'll just block it off for the winter, God knows I won't need it for the next five months anyway. :lol:

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Xman said:
...the air to air nature of it makes it so much less efficient than the air to water types...
these guys suggest that air-to-air is much more efficient than air-to-water, at least for everyday use. ?? <shrug> i dunno enough about this stuff.

Xman said:
Or I'll just block it off for the winter, God knows I won't need it for the next five months anyway. :lol:
:) no doubt. there should be a "snow" mode that would detune the car a bit. there could be a *lot* of clutch-slipping this winter (pee-uuu), especially for people like me who live on a hill.

·
Registered
858 Posts
carbon fiber screen... LOL...

reminds me of a company selling a "tactical water hydration system"...

it was a camelbak.

·
Registered
467 Posts
You guys are all crazy. The likelihood of a particle significantly damaging the IC is extremely remote. Even if a rock manages to enter the scoop, in order for it to hit the IC, it would have to hit the inside wall first, which in itself will slow the rock down enough to not do any damage. And when was the last time you had a walnut sized rock hit your car at a 100+ mph? Because that's what it would take to do any real damage to the IC.

Yes, I believe in using jack stands...not just the jack, if I'm working under the car. No, I do not believe in wearing a helmet to protect me from possible meteors when taking my dog for a walk.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts