IW STi Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2013 STI. I have a stock intake. No mods. I have a Cobb access port. It is 90 degrees a lot in South Carolina. Hey if I’m driving in this temperature it will be like 120 degrees but if I am at idle like parked it will go up to like 160 degrees. Is that super high? Let me know!

·
Super Moderator
8,101 Posts
Did this just recently start or are you just concerned with the numbers? Unless there was some sort of spike recently that would indicate a problem, I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
When you say stock, you're not running speed-density or anything? You haven't relocated the IAT sensor to post-intercooler or intake manifold?

·
Vendor
42 Posts
I have a 2013 STI. I have a stock intake. No mods. I have a Cobb access port. It is 90 degrees a lot in South Carolina. Hey if I’m driving in this temperature it will be like 120 degrees but if I am at idle like parked it will go up to like 160 degrees. Is that super high? Let me know!
That sounds hot but normal to me. Consider your car is massively heat soaked when ambient temps are 90+, and if it's sunny your hood is going to be egg frying hot. The heat from your engine has literally no where to go, so it heat soaks everything under the hood. That intake is going to be extremely hot to the touch, and sucking in hot air.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Normal. If you adjust air conditioning; recirculate, turn it from maximum cold, take the fan of max, those temps will be lower. A/C has a huge effect as you're adding a whole new heat load to the engine bay. It's neat, if you're cruising down the highway you can watch the temps cycle up and down as the compressor comes on. In traffic, it can be terrible. I was in Hartford gridlock traffic once on a +100° day and say intake temps over 190°.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Normal. If you adjust air conditioning; recirculate, turn it from maximum cold, take the fan of max, those temps will be lower. A/C has a huge effect as you're adding a whole new heat load to the engine bay. It's neat, if you're cruising down the highway you can watch the temps cycle up and down as the compressor comes on. In traffic, it can be terrible. I was in Hartford gridlock traffic once on a +100° day and say intake temps over 190°.
Geez that’s high. Yeah. It has been super hot so I turn my car off when I’m sitting in the parking lot at like 160. Other it being super hot it shouldn’t cause any damage.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Sounds normal. Keep in mind that with the car parked and running, there isnt much air at all traveling into the hood scoop or intake system to help reduce heat. This weekend it was 94 here in NJ with a humidity of what felt like 1000. I saw my intake temps get up 160+ while driving in traffic. Thats with a cold air intake too.

I think whats more important is to monitor intake temps when under boost rather than at idle or light crusing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts