IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
removed the silencer this afternoon, and I must say the smile factor has raised 100 times. You can really hear the turbo spool and the stock BOV. its a lot of fun, the only sound I can compare it to is the way the EVO's sound on the inside. the car doesnt feel any faster but I can say that it is more fun.

·
Registered
382 Posts
what did you guys use to seal the holes to the fender?, i took it out today, gotta get some stuff to seal the fender to the intake tommorow

·
Registered
316 Posts
I recently posted "good seal for airbox". Guess I should have attached it to this thread instead. --Sin52

·
Registered
29 Posts
hear and feel a thud in the rear

i was talking with a friendof mine who's done this, and we both couldn't come up with a good reason why you'd even bother sealing the fender well hole. the "ram air" effect will be minimized by the lack of a continuous connection from the scoop to the airbox. why not just remove the scoop altogether and just let the airbox suck from the fenderwell?

·
Registered
316 Posts
Lightning said:
the "ram air" effect will be minimized by the lack of a continuous connection from the scoop to the airbox. why not just remove the scoop altogether and just let the airbox suck from the fenderwell?
I figure the scoop will force some ("not much") air into the quarter panel, plus a little air is fed through the foglight cover. I'm hoping it keeps some sort of positive air in there so as not to draw much air from where the black wheel liner meets the quarter panel around the wheel. I dunno. Regardless I would seal around the airbox. --Sin52

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
I took out the elbow, hack-sawed the resonator box off and reattached it so I could still have the ram-air effect. It also eliminated the need to seal anything.

M

·
0 Posts
I sealed it because I didn't want to suck air from the engine compartment.

I didn't see the need for 'ram air' because that would just create turbulence in the fenderwell. It will already be sucking in air without trying to slam it down it's throat. Imagine the difference in breathing standing still, compared to what it feels like when you are skydiving / riding / anything where the air is moving at you really quickly. The negative pressure created by the continuous sucking in of air, would force air into the fenderwell anyways, so no need to ram it in there.

just my opinion though, i'm not an aerodynamics engineer or anything so I could be totally wrong, :)

I posted pics in that other thread if anyone wants to see what mine looks like.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I hear a lot about intake resonator removal. Is that just the snorkel piece attaching to the box or is it the piece coming from the grill back towards the box or something else? Most instructions and pictures I see are of different bits and it's all very confusing.

RN

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
shifter knob (new pm)

The resonator is in the wheel well. If you remove the passenger side wheel and fender liner, you will see what we are referring too. This is what we are removing. It is the part that joins the ram scoop to the air box.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
renichms said:
I hear a lot about intake resonator removal. Is that just the snorkel piece attaching to the box or is it the piece coming from the grill back towards the box or something else? Most instructions and pictures I see are of different bits and it's all very confusing.

RN
if you're ever in huntsville again I can show you where/how to do it. Its really easy once you see it in person.

Robert~

·
Registered
647 Posts
Re: Floor mats

staticx313 said:
renichms said:

RN
if you're ever in huntsville again I can show you where/how to do it. Its really easy once you see it in person.

Robert~
It's out now. :) MAN but the piece is huge!

RN

·
Registered
85 Posts
here is the pix

I have INJEN CAI I remove it this morning coz' I really felt car is slowing down on me, so I put back the stock box and the two holes what you guys did get something to put it together, a black rubber hose?

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
I just cut off the section below the red line and reconnected it. Works great and I can still hear the bypass and turbo, just not as loud.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts