IW STi Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

Long story short, I live in Quebec, Canada and I have had a hard time finding an insurance company that wants to covert me with my slightly modded STI...

Most of the companies I've dealt with keeps telling me a lowered suspension if considered "performance" mod and they back off soon after...

My build is not impressive at all... Stock engine bay, Stage 1 OTS map (that's a secret though hehe), catback, swaybars + endlinks, Eibach springs, wheels, tinted windows, front lip...

My actual company almost broke our engagement when I called them to let them know the mods I did...

I would gladly go Stage 2 with downpipe and other mods related, but I guess I will be refused even more with these new performance mods..

For those in Canada (mostly Ontario or Quebec), what is your insurance company and how do you deal with those mods on your car?

Thanks

Simon

·
Registered
213 Posts
I'm along way from Canada but holy crap! That is a lot of grief over not a lot of mods. I have to agree with don't tell, most certainly if they don't ask. Insurance rates may be high here in the states for a lot of people but the only ones I know of to get refused insurance coverage got refused based on there driving record. And many company's will even give extra coverage for the aftermarket parts.

·
Registered
15 Posts
They don't care here either in sask, but if u crashed it u could have probs getting your money back. Unless u get it appraised before the accident.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I would just tell them it's stock. it's highly unlikely they'd come to check it. Although I don't know how things work in Canada. As I've never in my life heard of a company changing rates or basing estimates off modifications done to a car.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
They asked me if there were modifications done to the car, I said yes.
They then asked if they were under 5000$, I said yes.

Not exactly true, but it's close enough to 5k and I didn't want to pay extra ... My car is stage2 with full suspension with tint and a few extras...

I would be careful with safety mods, like installing a jdm front bumper, changing the steering rack, stuff like that. For the rest, mod away. PS my insurer is promutuel

i pay 1000$ a year, full coverage, im 35 with a decent record.

·
Registered
864 Posts

Not exactly true, but it's close enough to 5k and I didn't want to pay extra ... My car is stage2 with full suspension with tint and a few extras...

I would be careful with safety mods, like installing a jdm front bumper, changing the steering rack, stuff like that. For the rest, mod away. PS my insurer is promutuel

Are you referring to changing steering rack bushings? I'm curious as why you said to be careful with this?

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Are you referring to changing steering rack bushings? I'm curious as why you said to be careful with this?
No, the bushings are fine...

I'm just saying that changing or modifying the actual rack could be your loss if you crashed by your own fault. Insurance company (crooks) could say "well... you lost control because the steering rack was not stock, blablabla... you know how low they can go.

Or I could be completely talking out my ass... could vary from company to company too.

I see it like being in an accident on public road with race tires. Unsure if insurance will cover.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Oh ya I totally agree, and thanks for the clarification. Insurance companies are starting to be a bit more difficult with mods ( depending where you live) but I find that a lot of my friends are stuck in facility because they declared every mod they had to be fully covered

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Simply not telling them is the easiest way to go, however don't try to get a settlement for your mods if you get into an accident (even if you're not at fault). There's a gazillion excuses you could give if they ever find out you have mods. Remember, in Québec, we have the "no fault" system which frees us of civil liability for everything we do on the roads, no matter if you're drunk or running illegal mods (not saying that you do).

You can give Lareau Insurance Brokers a call, as they deal with "high risk" insurance companies to get specific coverages. (I'm sorry to say this, but running mods - even banal ones - instantly puts you into the "high risk" category in terms of insurance here.) There's even a small discount if you're part of the MSC. Your premiums are still going to be higher than what you're used to paying for stock though, so be warned.

Good luck, bud! :tup:

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well my experience hasn't been that fun for now...

Here is what I have been told by 4 insurance companies lately:

#1 Since your car has a lowered suspension, we can't cover you.

#2 Since your car has aftermarket sway bars, we can't cover you

#3 They said they could cover me, but as soon as there are "performance" mods, it doesn't fit anymore.

#4 My actual insurance company, the day I called them to insure my wheels because of their value, they asked me if I had changed anything else and they wanted to know all of the modifications and the cost related, where it had been done, etc.

With the mods I told them, they said they would finally continue to cover me as < 5000$ modifications, but any performance mods will end up in a broken deal.

They said the catback and wheels and lowered suspension (stance) gave my car a catchy look that increase the risk of my car being stolen.

They said the lowered and upgraded suspension makes me more prone to aggressive/dangerous driving, etc

My premium went up by 200$/year after that and they removed some stuff from my insurance deal.

My company didn't ask me ...
Your company doesn't have to ask. You have to tell them. If you get a car accident and they send an inspector and he notices the car was tuned to death, they will refuse to give you your money because they will say you were not paying the premium you should have with that "new car".

I would just tell them it's stock. it's highly unlikely they'd come to check it. Although I don't know how things work in Canada. As I've never in my life heard of a company changing rates or basing estimates off modifications done to a car.
Then again, it may be very different in the USA. Heck, I told them I bought a new house in a city 20 minutes away from my actual place and they said that city was more "risky" and they raised my premium by a few 1X$.

As written above, my actual insurer gave me the <5000$ modifications but they wanted the list of parts I changed to make sure no "performance" mods were implied.

Pretty sucky situation to say the least!!

·
Registered
582 Posts
Don't get me wrong, I think there is a risk in not fully disclosing a your mods. I'd be curious of hearing of people that have been denied coverage because of mods. I think it's a calculated risk but you are likely safer to deal with that upfront assuming someone wants to insure you :)

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
This one made me laugh. I have aftermarket sway bars on my friggen rusted up Hyundai Accent...
Indeed so! ^^ :lol:

The thing is that ever since a cute little girl hanging Halloween decorations was run over by some fucking retard street racing his buddy, there's been a huge crackdown on modified cars in Québec. The media grew this out of proportion to put fear in the minds of the populace that mods are evil, and people driving modded cars are dangerous no brain maniacs out for blood. That's how it works here... :rolleyes:

I remember when years ago I myself tried to get insurance while disclosing I had performance mods, I got comments like these: "OMG! Why did you do such a thing ? Mod a car ? That's really dangerous you know, you should never do such a thing !". I think the softest response I got was: "We only accept visual modifications like wheels or body kits." :rolleyes:

Anyhow OP, like I said before, I know that Lareau Insurance Brokers can get your modded car insured in Québec. I am not giving them publicity, heck I'm not insured with them, I just know that they deal with cases like yours. Just be ready to pay extra though... it's "high risk", remember ?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts