IW STi Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think something is wrong with my insurance. I am 23 years old w/ one not at fault accident 3 years ago/no tickets on record living right outside Philadelphia, PA and my insurance carrier is Geico. I am currently paying $1600 a year to insure the STI, which seems quite low for the type of car this is. Anybody else have a clue why it would be this low? My guess is that their car database isn't updated for the 2004 model year. The reason I post this is that I am worried that the company will figure out what the car is come January or so and raise my rates a $1000 a year or more ( to give some insight, I got a quote for $2450 a year for a 2004 Acura TL which lists for 33500 or so). I'm not sure what kind of response I am looking for exactly but I know that if I have to pay a hundred more a month for insurance on top of the car payment I'm going to be in for a bit of financial stress (I budget my money carefully ya know). I do appreciate any responses and hopefully the insurance won't rise beyond my means. Thanks all.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I checked last week to see what my insurance would be in MA for a '04 STI. Answer was $2200 and it would probably go up because it was based on a '03. That sucks. I'm 25 w/ a good record, wtf.

I have a clean record, but w/ a mazda protege in a safe area for 1K, then when I moved to boston, $1800, then witha STI $2400?

Worth the price? Can't wait to get one.

·
Registered
32 Posts
If you can swing it, pay the annual premium in full. Then you are guaranteed of no increases for 12 monthes, anyway.

·
Registered
260 Posts
leebanger said:
I checked last week to see what my insurance would be in MA for a '04 STI. Answer was $2200 and it would probably go up because it was based on a '03. That sucks. I'm 25 w/ a good record, wtf.
OK, I'm nitpicking here but how can it be based on an '03 when there is no '03 STi. If you give the insurance quoter the VIN, they will know if it is a WRX or a WRX STi. FYI, my insurance quotes from lowest to highest was from the EVO to STi to S2000. The S2000 was $150 more expensive per year than the STi, and the STi was about $150 more expensive than the EVO.

T

·
0 Posts
Re: Mass insurance

It's based on the 2003 Impreza 2.5L, at least that's what they charge me for insurance. I hope it takes them a while to figure it out. ;)

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
It has to be based at least partially on the '03 WRX, since there is no prior STi claims data to work from. BUT what is in our favor is the overall 'four door sedan' category, along with the ABS and side impact air bags. Don't worry, if enough kids keep cracking up these cars we'll all pay the price.

Do your part - drive responsibly and keep the racing on the track!!!

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
Hey Leebanger, I live in Westen Mass and I'm paying 1750 for my insurance. You might pay a little more if you live in Boston but it really shouldn't be that much more. Insurance companies in this state can get away with ripping people off. I have Amica; they know exactly what an STi is. The Sti is cheaper than my previous 02 Altima SE. My agent tells me it's because of the standard side impact airbags, abs, AWD and not a high theft issue yet. Acura, Infiniti, Lexus, Honda, Nissan and Toyota are the highest demand for theft, that really makes a difference in our premiums.
I haven't seen an STI out here yet. Hope to meet some people from MA with STI's soon.

·
So Gangster It Hurts
3,521 Posts
martiandl said:
mine just went up :evil: now it is 1200.00 a year, was 900.00. Guess they finally figured out what I have.
That really isn't too bad, though.

What are your credentials?
Age.
Record.
Locale.
Only car?

I'm 32, no tickets/accidents, Seatte area, only car . . . and mine will be right around $1200-1400 per anum. Considering the performance capabilities of the STi, I'm really not disappointed. :)

T

·
0 Posts
They would not base it on the WRX since the WRX is a 2.0L, therefore they will base it on other typical 2.5L cars, hence the impreza. At least that's how it was explained to me by my insurance company. To them STi measn nothing, all they see is that it's a 2.5L 4 door sedan made by subaru that is called impreza.

But fear not, I'm sure they'll catch on pretty soon and soon enough all our premiums will go up accordingly. :(

·
Registered
7 Posts
My age is 30
Clean record
Snohomish county, Washington
Three cars.
Just recieved the Allstate adjustmetns.
I feel they should at least fulfill the price for the term.

·
So Gangster It Hurts
3,521 Posts
Indeed. . . but when you turned 25, was it in the middle of the term? When that happened for me, I had a few months left on mine, and they made the change, anyway. . . . saved me tons.

I think it's just common practice to prorate corrections on policies at most companies. . . regardless of who it benefits. :)

·
Registered
350 Posts
My insurance went up a whooping $13.80 dollars on my 6 month premium!!

-dp

1 - 18 of 18 Posts