IW STi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I talked to my local dealership today and they told me that with the $6000 down and as long as I had a co-signer I could get the loan for a brand new 06.

I'm not getting an 06 anymore.. I plan on getting a used 05 with around 10k miles on it. I just asked them to see if they would give me the loan for the new one just to be sure that getting the loan for $32000 before the deposit was doable.

Anyway after figuring out they would I then called my insurance company and got a quote for a 2005 used STI. I'm 18, been driving for a little over 2 years, no accidents or tickets, and drive under 10k miles a year and have over a 3.0 GPA in school.

They gave me a quote of $6500 for 6 months. :eek: Now this is just stupid... I know there are a lot of wreckless teens out there, but come on now. 1 year would be a little over half of the total cost of the used 05 STI I'm looking at.

Really sucks that the only reason I might not be able to do this is because of my age....

However there is a way around this and that is to just put the car under my dad's insurance. He pays less then $100 a month for his 2004 350Z. So it would probably be around $150 I figure. Which would then be doable.

Sorry for the rant... I was just REALLY surprised as was my dad when they gave me the quote for $12000 a year.....:mad:

Anyone else here around the same age as me, own an STI? I would like to get other people's input here if you guys/gals didn't mind. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am new here and dont own an STi nor have I asked my insurance what my payments will be once I fond one but insurance for my type R isnt cheap,It started going down when I turned 21(and has continued im 23 now),when I was your age I think it was about 600 a month.How is your driving record ?

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Stephen444 said:
I am new here and dont own an STi nor have I asked my insurance what my payments will be once I fond one but insurance for my type R isnt cheap,It started going down when I turned 21(and has continued im 23 now),when I was your age I think it was about 600 a month.How is your driving record ?
Clean driving record.

·
Premium Member
8,810 Posts
18 year old, male, yep, I wouldn't doubt the insurance rate. So are you going to get insurance under your dad? If so doesn't that mean that the loan would have to be in your dad's name as well?

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
SVT Amateur said:
18 year old, male, yep, I wouldn't doubt the insurance rate. So are you going to get insurance under your dad? If so doesn't that mean that the loan would have to be in your dad's name as well?
Yeah I would technically be the co-signer then I guess.

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
trust me man even if your under your parents its not that low. my parents have clean i mean clean never had a ticket or accident and me to and theay pay 150 a month for full coverage on 2 car/truck and when i jumped in thers went up 4000 for six month

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ikon said:
trust me man even if your under your parents its not that low. my parents have clean i mean clean never had a ticket or accident and me to and theay pay 150 a month for full coverage on 2 car/truck and when i jumped in thers went up 4000 for six month
Wow this really sucks. :(

Well I'm going to be under the "occasional driver." I don't know if this makes any difference at all but I will find out this weekend.

All I got to do for this to happen is get my mom to co-sign or in this case I guess she would be the signer and I would be the co-signer. And find out how much it would be for me to go under her insurance.

Hopefully it will be less then yours so I can split the costs each month, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Yeah, the insurance keeps getting worse on the STI. I'm not singling any teenage STI driver here, but a lot of inexperienced teens are getting their hands on this car, and getting into accidents, and insurance companies keep raising premiums. That's my guess, but I know everytime insurance is due my collision kept going up.

I saved $400 a year, and I'm 34 with a perfect driving record, when I swapped from my 04 STI to an 06 MS6. I even made my comp a $0 deductable instead of $500, and still saved $400. Had I kept same coverages, I'd save even more. My collision on that car kept going up every 6 months while I still have my perfect clean record, and it gave me yet another reason to take a 2 year break on this car. Too expensive of a daily commuter car. I doubt the STi limited is gonna be any cheaper, so I might have to bite it if and when I buy one of them. That's life.

·
Registered
7 Posts
insurance rate arent just about your age, it also take into account for the area you live in as well as the area around you. Like my insurance was 400 dollars a month three years ago and now I pay 125 a month full coverage for my car also for all the parts I have on it. it also drop 1000bucks when I moved from the city to a little town, ya'll will be surprised how much money you save that way. For right now It would be in your best interest to be under someone else's policy.

·
Premium Member
4,120 Posts
hell Im 41 clean record my whole life and I still pay $1400 a year!! It's robbery....

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I just filled out a quote on Statefarm's website and under my mom's insurance, its costs $358 a month or $2100 a year which is a lot better then $13k a year.

I'm going to find out how much the insurance for my current car is too see how much more it would be to insure the STI. I'm hoping that it will be close to the same if not a little more. I could then just pay my mom the difference.

If she will do this then all I have to get her to do is be the signer for the loan or co-signer... however this works out.

Thanks for all of your input guys. :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
i pay alittle under 3600 a year wit 2 speeding tickets and i'm 26.. insurance isn't all apr rates that kills me 15.34% AHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!! that's wat i get for all those dam credit cards at the age of 18

·
Registered
342 Posts
Hey damstr. I'm currently 17, also no accidents and tickets, but will be turning 18 soon. Only way I was able to be insured was, like you mentioned, to be placed under my Dad's insurance. The cost to add the STi to our insurnace package was an extra $150 a month. To put that number into perspective, a 350Z would have been $100 more, an 06 VW GTI $50 more, an A3 $26 more, and so on. We sent a long list of cars to our insurance agent and she returned a list of the incremental cost of adding each car I listed to our insurance package. Out of around ten cars, the STi was the most expensive, with the EVO following closely behind in second. My old car was a VW Golf GLS, and as you could imagine, was cheap to insure. The difference between the cost of insuring the Golf and the STi is $150, so I pay that. The extra cost over your current car should be around the same as mine. Hope it all works out!

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
i have allstate full coverge for $200 a month with 3 speeding tickets and went to school only once. i have a $50 deductable too. allstate rules! but then again i also have it under my dads insurance. i recomend you buy a new sti since you will get a lower interest rate and insurance might be cheaper. and you get to break in the engine yourself. properly i hope.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Im a 23 year old male with a 04 STi and a speeding ticket and I pay 105 a month with Safeco. I dont' know how some of you can afford a 200-600 month insurance payment.

·
Registered
924 Posts
I was 19 when i got my STi and with clean record, insurance was 4,000$ a year, now since i had my license for over 3 years it just went down to 3,500$ and then i found out about Liberty mutal discount of subaru so whne my coverage is over i will transfer over and its only 3,000$ a year. And it true it is base on where you live also. my friend have like the same thing but only pay like 2,000$ a year becuase they in live in the middle of the woods haha

·
Registered
171 Posts
ya, seems like rates have been going up.. mine just went up just a little, but still.. and i didn't even have any tickets the last 6 mo. :( and i just turned 25 too.. o well, maybe next year it'll be lower..lawl

·
Registered
158 Posts
When you hit 21 it will go down and again at 23, and probably again when married. They all have effect on your insurance rates as well as area you live, number tickets and age. You will pay a hefty amount if your young (insurance terms young) and a male who is single. Good luck.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts