IW STi Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanted to chat about who you're using to insure your vehicle and modifications.

I've been using Progressive for the past 3-4 year to cover my 2014 Sti and mods at a stated value of blue book plus approximately $15k mods. When I first got coverage rates started off around $650 per 6 months and have slowly tricked up to $1,050 increasing slightly every time I’ve renewed. Every year I’ve reevaluated my stated value and decreased the coverages to account for the depreciation of the vehicle and a little for the mods but rates still increased.

I’m a little baffled on why it’s been increasing; I’m in the mid 30’s and there hasn’t been any changes to my driving record or payment history. Called Progressive a few times and I get the same BS saying they don’t know and try adjusting your stated value amount.

I’ve tried to call other providers and some do not insure performance mods while others do not cover enough for my comfort.

Who’s are you guys using and what are you paying for your coverage? Do you have any recommendations?

Thanks!

·
Registered
362 Posts
I use USAA. You need to be a military member for them though. Or a dependent.

Your shit sounds crazy high priced. My 6 month premium for 2 vehicles with full coverage on both is 600.

For my Subaru I use a 500 dollar deductible for comprehensive and collision coverage. I set all the limits in all the categories to the bare minimum.

For me personally I don't feel any reason to up your insurance costs due to modifying the car. Modifying any vehicle is never a good investment. To me it's a hobby and fun to do. I don't want to pay extra money every month though on insurance based on what modifications I put on the car. This kind of relates to the big question people always ask about voiding their warranty early in order to modify the car. I say screw it! Modify your vehicle man. You only live once. There's way more in life to worry about than your warranty and insurance.

Set your categories to bare minimum limits and drive safe man. If you wreck that bad none of it will matter anyway. Just go get a new car.

I would suggest doing a quote with every insurance agent you can find online and go with the cheapest. I hope this helps some. At least if anything you can understand how I go about it.

Insurance to me is in case I get hit by someone or my car gets stolen. As long as I get paid out for it that's all that matters. I understand that you want to be able to make sure you get enough in return to cover all your modifications but you must understand modifying a car is basically a complete waste of money unless you plan on selling it to someone using all the modification factors to increase the sale price. When it comes to totaling a car in an accident it doesn't really matter if it's bone stock or a complete race car. The insurance company will just blue book the value of a stock car. I don't personally see that it's worth paying a crap load more money every month on insurance for the slim chance this may happen.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah my premium is crazy high...doesn't make sense to be paying this much. My premium is a little more than my friend that owns a 2014 GTR and he has a couple tickets on his record! I definitely need to find a different insurance provider for sure.

I'm not looking at modifying as an investment, its a depreciating asset. I'm insuring my mods just for that peace of mind, in case something unfortunate happens like total loss due to an accident or theft. When you drop 10-15k in a couple sittings to modify your car it only made sense that I'd insure those mods at the same time. Keep in mind rates were very reasonable ($650ish) when I first insured my car at a stated value of $55k...now it's much lower since factoring in depreciation.

You never know...you could get all your mods installed, drive to the grocery store and get you car jacked. You'd be out that much and regret you didn't get that extra coverage. Its just for that peace of minds so you don't have to be a wuss about driving your car around and knowing its covered.

From my understanding, when you're insuring at a vehicle at a "stated value" and there is a total loss the insurance company should reimburse you for that stated value (not blue book) provided that you prove your vehicle is worth that much...with receipts, estimates, etc...

I was just curious what everyone else is doing...looking for recommendations and advice. Ill start the hunt again for a new insurance provider. Was hoping others had some more experience in this.

·
Registered
2 Posts
There are many online quotes from different providers you can take to analyze various options. Take a look at Money Expert, there are also many reviews about insurance providers, so you can make a general impression about them. I'm also in a hunt for a good insurance company to insure my new Ford Escape and this website is very informative. I haven't decided yet which company to choose, but I want the comprehensive and the collision insurance on my car, and that's a lot of money to put on the table.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts