IW STi Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm getting my car out of the body shop tomorrow :D

But, after some investigation it turns out I could be entitled to some extra cash. I bought the car with 15,000 miles on it, it now has 16,000, I've had it for 2 months, one of those months was in the shop for repair. Rearended at a red light, yadda yadda.

Kelly Blue-book has this to say :

This is how much it is (For private buyers)
http://www.kbb.com/kb/ki.dll/kw.kc.ucp?kbb.FL;;FL071;&33920&;864884&;;ucp;&2;SU;RX

That link my not work, Excellent is $27,425 Good is $25,880 and Fair is $23,820

This is how much it is (Trade in value)
http://www.kbb.com/kb/ki.dll/kw.kc.ucp?kbb.FL;;FL071;&33920&;830479&;;uct;&2;SU;RX
That link may not work, Excellent is $25,100 Good is $23,660 and Fair is $21,195

"Excellent" condition means that the vehicle looks new, is in excellent mechanical condition and needs no reconditioning. This vehicle has never had any paint or body work and is free of rust. The vehicle has a clean title history and will pass a smog and safety inspection. The engine compartment is clean, with no fluid leaks and is free of any wear or visible defects. The vehicle also has complete and verifiable service records. Less than 5% of all used vehicles fall into this category.

"Good" condition means that the vehicle is free of any major defects. This vehicle has a clean title history, the paint, body and interior have only minor (if any) blemishes, and there are no major mechanical problems. There should be little or no rust on this vehicle. The tires match and have substantial tread wear left. A "good" vehicle will need some reconditioning to be sold at retail. Most consumer owned vehicles fall into this category.

"Fair" condition means that the vehicle has some mechanical or cosmetic defects and needs servicing but is still in reasonable running condition. This vehicle has a clean title history, the paint, body and/or interior need work performed by a professional. The tires may need to be replaced. There may be some repairable rust damage.

So almost $2000 in difference price (Going from Excellent condition, to good condition) my insurance company states that I need to prove this depreciated value because the laws in the state of florida do not make them pay this. What would be the best way to prove this? I asked the guy at the body shop and he didn't know what I was talking about.. any help will be great. I need new tires ;D

·
Murderer & Drug Dealer
11,934 Posts
Get a written trade-in valuation from two or more car dealers, one with what it would be worth undamaged, and one with it's worth with the accident in its history. Also, gather the Blue Book and Nada Information you can find. If it comes down to it, have the car appraised. Any of these numbers is going to differ now that your car has been involved in an accident and had body/repair work done.

Try your best to get them to pay you the difference, as it will become an issue for you should you ever decide to sell the vehicle. Florida law may not require it, but neither does it preclude it (I'm guessing). After all, if someone breaks your antique vase and then glue it back together, it's still worth less, regardless of how well it was reassembled. That's money out of your pocket at some point.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Also, if you cant get the money out of the insurance company then you can sue the person who hit your car. They caused you definate monetary damages and, providing you can prove it, can be compensated for that loss. If you cant get the insurance to bend, seriously consider getting a lawyer.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for all the input guys, I'll be picking the car up today at around 4 (yay) I'll let you all know how it goes. (Will probably take some time)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Watch out when it comes to rear-enders. My IS300 was rear-ended and I started to get very unusual tire wear on all four tires. The body shop said the frame wasn't bent & i had a 4-wheel alignment done, but i noticed the gaps between the outside of the tire and the inside of the wheel-well were different from drivers side to passenger side in the back of the car. I eventually traded it in for my Sti and when I did they did a Carfax report to make sure there was no frame damage. If there was my trade-in value would have dropped considerably!
I almost had to do the lawyer thing to get my trade-in value to where it should have rightfully been.

just a little heads-up for ya

·
Registered
478 Posts
When my wife's car was hit the other person's insurance decided to fix it. Because of this, we insisted on a "diminished value settlement" (which I think you can do in most states). If I were you, I would press the issue with the other person's insurance, and get a lawyer if needed. You'll never be able to sell it for full value if it's been smashed up and rebuilt. You can probably find appraisers in the area who will tell you how much the value of your vehicle is diminished.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts