IW STi Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be installing an avn 6600 in the next few weeks. I was wondering were most poeple mounted there gps antennas and ipod controllers for any unit. I have herd there is room under the clock and lots behind the deck. just trying to get some ideas before a tear everything apart.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I am not too sure what you are getting, but I can share with you my experience. I installed the Pioneer AVIC-N1. It does have a flip-up display, so I mounted on the lower DIN slot as to not cover the vents when it opens. The brain and capacitor I mounted under the drivers seat, along with the modules for the i-pod and satellite radio (which al daisy-chain together). Make sure you have clearance when lowering the driver's chair all the way and room for sliding the seat back and forth all the way The logic was introduce any additional weight to the vehicle in an area that has a low center of gravity and is placed between the front and rear wheels as to minimize any adverse effect on the cars handling. FYI The amp was also installed under the passenger seat. If you go this route, keep up on the loose items in your car. I have found half used water bottles slowly wetting the nearby carpet as it nestled up against the amp. Also, paper clips and my wife’s keys have gone close to some of the hot wires that could potentially cause a short.

The sub: I wanted something I could remove for track days without any tools. I Purchased a JL V7 10 inch sub (I think) already in a small box and a 500/1 amp for the trunk. Again, I mount them with handling in mind. With the sub bolted to the box, I use a ratchet strap to strap it to the X-Brace behind the rear seat. Easy to remove for track days or road trips and the baby stroller. The ground, positive and 12v amp switch wires are connected to a three-prong power outlet wire. Again, instant disconnect and no way can you mix up the wires in the dark. I love it. It’s not show or bling material, but the sound is almost as athletic as the car and I pass tech for track days.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Oh yeah, I keep the i-pod in the center console. Took the whole thing apart just to lay the wire in a clean fasion.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
halfelite said:
I will be installing an avn 6600 in the next few weeks. I was wondering were most poeple mounted there gps antennas and ipod controllers for any unit. I have herd there is room under the clock and lots behind the deck. just trying to get some ideas before a tear everything apart.
The shop that installed my AVN5500 installed the GPS antenna behind the clock under the circlular "knob" close the the windshield. The installer mentioned that he fit it underneath there. He gave me the option of mounting it there or on the outside of the vehicle where the roof meets the windshield. I opted for mounting on the interior of the vehicle.

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all for the reply just getting ideas were to mount the gps antena i was hoping there was room under the clock. and hopefully behind the unit to stick the ipod controller.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.