IW STi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Installed the spec c roof vent two days ago... Have been detailing the car (clay bar, polishing..etc) so right now it's in the garage because it's POURING outside and my car will NOT get wet after all this time I put into it...haha

Had a little help with my dad (see picture that he did...lol I got him to do the shocker!)

Just a couple pics of the process during and some crappy pics after right now..

Will take some outside pictures tomorrow when it's sunny.

I had my dad do the shocker in front of the hole...LOL

Open:

Closed:

Sheets and bag to prevent metal going ALL inside the cabin...

Hardest part of the entire project was getting the damn headliner back up and into place... I need to clean all the finger prints from the headliner..
Cutting was CAKE... trimming the headliner was a *****... all in all I love it!
I want to get the interior piece of the spec c trim in CF as my entire center console, vent rings and speedo cover are all in CF..

-Nigel

·
Premium Member
7,482 Posts
That looks like a very clean job. Nice work, it looks great.

·
Premium Member
5,267 Posts
Love the look, you have balls to do that... I would never trust myself! Awesome job.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
JJ18Sniper said:
Love the look, you have balls to do that... I would never trust myself! Awesome job.

LOL

I think it took more balls for me to the jdm sidemarkers a couple monts back.. After I did that I said spec c vent is next! And in my opinion MUCH eaiser since the cut is bigger and straighter... Those sidemarkers are smaller so it took more precise work with the dremel.. I was going to use a dremel for the above cut but then my dad said "use my jigsaw"..lol
Then I start cutting with it and it start making the whole roof shake.. I was like umm..wtf?! We reinforced the roof with duct tape so it wouldn't do that anymore and it all came out perfect!

:)

-Nigel

·
Registered
625 Posts
What kind of air flow are you getting? How much noise does it give when open?

·
Registered
993 Posts
thats so pimpin! I want one so bad but I also don't trust myself. Room for error? So how do you where to cut/trace? Is there already an indent under the headliner?

·
Registered
993 Posts
I only use my AC when my wife rides in the car and flipps it on.:lol:
So I would love it! I think thats what I will ask Santa for this year:)

·
Registered
2019 WRX
4,512 Posts
damn bro that looks professional. I wish i had the balls to cut a hole in my roof. :( Excellent job though!

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
There is A LOT of air flow coming in from that little hole!
Noise... well it seems to get MUCH MORE air in the car than having all the windows down... and there is hardly any noise at all... Given I was crusin at 60... so well see how it handles going back to VA tomorrow when I am going 70+mph...

There is a really good DIY on Nasioc that someone did it to their wagon... pretty much the same thing.. There were a couple points that were missed but I figured it out... IE: There is foam under the headliner.. so one you put the spec c bracket up there you have to cut some of the foam.. as the headliner doesn't sit right.. I got so pissed because I couldn't understand why, that once I figured it out I ripped both pieces from the driver side and the passenger side completely off...hahah

There is a LITTLE room for error, but really you just have to take your time and measure, measure again, and then make small cuts... As with anything, once you cut it you are NOT putting it back on...

About the AC.. I HARDLY ever use it.. as we all know the instant you turn that switch on and the little AC light comes on you instantly loose 200hp...
I ONLY have it on if I have friends in the car or my friend that is a girl in the car when they complain that "it's too hot" "I don't want my hair to get messed up"...etc

I would actually like to completely take the AC out... but have no clue on how to even do that.

I must say though it is 10x better looking in person and it looks SOOOOOOOO factory.. I can't even tell you! I love it!
I would honestly say this is by far the best mod I have done or spent money on...

Anyone that is thinking about doing this should definatly do it!
As long as you have a steady hand and take your time I am sure it would come out right... But true.. you do have to have some large nads to swallow the pill and say "let's do this!" And then start cutting..lol

-Nigel

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
STI-Man said:
By chance did this mod save any weight? or just add to it? thank you.
Well... you lose the map lights and the metal bracket that is attached to the roof.. but you add a metal flap and a aluminum bracket...

Honestly you probably save a pound or two.. Since you are cutting a hole..
It's not noticable.. now if you take out the AC... now your moving in the right direction!

-Nigel

1 - 20 of 47 Posts