IW STi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I just installed some gf210;s on the sti. Followed the diy. Had the springs installed at my friends uncles shop. He just used an air gun to torque everything back on so he didnt torque it to spec. Drove around and everything settles. The drop was even and sat perfect. I drive into a driveway and then i hear the something from the back go pop. Could that be the nut flying off because he torqued it too much? Now the driver rear and driver front look like stock height.
While the passenger side sits perfect.

SHould I just drive around and and see if it settles again or take everything apart and check for problems? NO dangers from driving it around right?

·
Registered
6,554 Posts
sounds like you flipped a sway?

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
check the strut top bolts to make sure they're adequately tightened down. I used an air gun on my front strut bolts when installing the Swifts and later found that nut to be only hand tight after a few bumps in the road.

·
I Solve Problems
18,253 Posts
the three bolts on the top hat are only supposed to be torqued to 12 ft/lbs do not over torque those, they will snap.

check your sway bar, and make sure the springs are still properly seated.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
T3h_Clap said:
the three bolts on the top hat are only supposed to be torqued to 12 ft/lbs do not over torque those, they will snap.

if the springs dont sit properly then it will hit the swaybar? I did hand tighten all the top bolts. I also did snap one bolt in the front! Doh. ill check everything today.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
T3h_Clap said:

This is true, sorry for the confusion but I meant the strut bolt/nut itself. If that's loose, the springs are loose on the strut which would cause a lot of noise.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
stylin525 said:
if the springs dont sit properly then it will hit the swaybar? I did hand tighten all the top bolts. I also did snap one bolt in the front! Doh. ill check everything today.

the springs and struts won't ever contact your swaybars, unless you've been in a serious collision.:)

·
I Solve Problems
18,253 Posts
twiSTies said:
This is true, sorry for the confusion but I meant the strut bolt/nut itself. If that's loose, the springs are loose on the strut which would cause a lot of noise.
the top hat one, i assume.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update

DOnt know how this happened but I went to check everything and found out the driver's rear endlink totally bent the sh**. The end of the sway bar wasnt where it suppose to be. I took the sway bar off and and awaiting new endlinks.

Wonder how this happened?

·
Registered
214 Posts
i had a pop come from the rear, i took my driveway at an angle and when the car leveled i heard a pop!, checked everything out but all seems fine, what could have it been????

·
I Solve Problems
18,253 Posts
what kind of pop was it?

where in the rear did it come from?

it could've been something in your trunk. do you have something in your trunk? we don't know b/c you didn't tell us anything!

·
Registered
214 Posts
the pop came from the rear right passenger side, now when i drive i hear like a clunking noise like if my strut was loose or something,but it sounds like its coming from my trunk, but i have nothing in my trunk, now today i went to check it and that side is higher than the other side, plus it only makes that noise when i hit a bump or something and only in that same spot it makes that noise, something tells me somethings loose, please help guys, any suggestions, nothings broken cuz i checked sways and endlinks evrything is fine, any takers?

·
Registered
240 Posts
evokillinSTi said:
the pop came from the rear right passenger side, now when i drive i hear like a clunking noise like if my strut was loose or something,but it sounds like its coming from my trunk, but i have nothing in my trunk, now today i went to check it and that side is higher than the other side, plus it only makes that noise when i hit a bump or something and only in that same spot it makes that noise, something tells me somethings loose, please help guys, any suggestions, nothings broken cuz i checked sways and endlinks evrything is fine, any takers?
i'd like to know also, since i'm getting the same exact noise.

·
Registered
214 Posts
someone please help us !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! calling all iwsti members!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
I Solve Problems
18,253 Posts
coilovers aren't quieter by any means.

which ones did you buy?

(Tein, Cusco, Zeal, Tanabe, are all known for being loud)

·
Registered
214 Posts
could it be my strut bolts are loose? any feedback would be helpful!

·
Registered
214 Posts
ok its official my endlinks are done for! got under the car again today and found out that my endlink had bent pretty bad, time for some kartboy's!!! woohooo gives me an excuse to buy parts for my car, told the wifey we needed them! +1 for crappy subaru endlinks

·
Registered
46 Posts
stylin525 said:
DOnt know how this happened but I went to check everything and found out the driver's rear endlink totally bent the sh**. The end of the sway bar wasnt where it suppose to be. I took the sway bar off and and awaiting new endlinks.

Wonder how this happened?
I had the dealership replace the rear struts under warranty and the driver's side sway bar link flipped down and when it was reinstalled. Needless to say the car didn't drive correctly and when I showed them this they made the necessary repairs. If the installer isn't paying attention to the sway bar position as the wheel moves back up through it's travel the link can go the wrong way and screw things up.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Your endlinks should be the next thing you buy, the stock endlinks are a weak point when you have droped your car (springs, coilover, etc...) just spend the 100 dollars and get new ones.

You are always going to get more noise coming from your suspension and for the chassis it self. The more you do the suspension to improve the handing and stiffing things up... If you want your car to drive like it is on Rails, It is going to sound like it is on rails as well... Noise is a fact of life on my car that I have gotten use to...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts