IW STi Forum banner

Installed my STI push start button #Pics Inside#

69K views 70 replies 44 participants last post by  dconlon1 
#1 ·
I just finished installing my STI push start button, it looks much much better than stock one. lool :D

Stock .........

STI ..............

See less See more
#38 ·
http://www.iwsti.com/forums/2504977-post8.html

As pointless as it is installed in my car, the JDM/EDM bezel and switch look much better in the dash than the USDM bezel because the other controls are not spread out to fill in the space. The busier, more compact look of the non-USDM bezel works better aesthetically.

#40 ·
Pointless as in

• Currently it is completely non-functional because there is nothing plugged into it. So it is not even illuminating with the instrument lights.
  • There is virtually no possibility of employing this switch properly as part of the LHD EDM OEM keyless setup.
  • I still need the key and will always need the key, even if the switch is added to the starter circuit.
I do not think it is even possible to buy the plug that inserts into it without the dash harness. As Europeans destroy these cars in greater numbers, more of these parts should turn up in European salvage yards.

#41 ·
Parts drawings. Note that the EDM LHD drawing appears to show the both bezels drawn backwards because both LHD and RHD use the same part numbers for the bezels--83002FG060JM for the pushbutton version and 83002FG020JM for the non-pushbutton version. 83002FG060JM is also the JDM part number. The stock USDM bezel is oriented the same way as the JDM and RDH EDM bezel.

EDM LHD

http://i670.photobucket.com/albums/vv68/gvfs_rocketmail/STI/opposedforces_edm_lhd_instrument_pa.jpg
EDM RHD

http://i670.photobucket.com/albums/vv68/gvfs_rocketmail/STI/opposedforces_edm_rhd_instrument_pa.jpg
JDM

http://i670.photobucket.com/albums/vv68/gvfs_rocketmail/STI/japanparts_sti_dash.jpg

#44 ·
I often considered using the jdm/edm panel and button with this kit Digital Guard Dog: DGD-PBS - "Smart" Push Button Start

But you still would have to deal with the steering column lock. I dont know if it would be possible to get the edm/jdm electronic steering column lock and wire it to deactivate when the fob was within range and the button was pressed, and then lock again when the engine was stopped.

The factory immobilizer may be problematic too, for that I considered a hideaway box like one would use for a remote start (something like the can-sl-pl Products | FLASHLINK Series | CAN-SL-PL | Overview ). When the fob is in range the immobilizer would deactivate and when the fob is out of range the immobilizer would rearm...

Anyone have any thoughts as to if this would be possible? I have the manual for the digital guard dawg system if anyone wants to take a look at it.

#46 ·
I have trying to work out whether the Australian STI can handle the push button start. They are not an option here as we dont get the true keyless entry, they call it keyless but you have to press the button on the key ( we are a bit backwards here in Australia!)

It appears that to upgrade I need the following:

1) Wiring Harness to suit keyless spec ( it appears the Australian (KA) spec harness is also used in Europe RHD.
2) ECU - it appears that the RHD Ecu is the same version of ROM as Australia from what i have found online.
3) All the associated antennas
4) New Body Control module
5) Some addtional relays and a control b ox
6) new fob key
7) and of course the button.

At the moment its not looking that good becuase unless there is some additional harness that plugs into the button from the electric steering wheel lock I don't seem to have any other loose plugs near where the button is.

Does anybody have a picture of how the starter button plugs into the harness? I am hoping it plugs into the steering wheel lock by an addtional harness. this would make sense as all the wires wiring currently needed to start the cars plugs into the back of that.

Would it be possible for a RHD or even a left hand drive European STI owner to take the screw out of the bottom of the steering wheel cover pop it off and take the lower right panel off so I can see the wiring harness that plugs into the sterring wheel lock (where the key would manually normally be to operate the manual lock) so i can work out where to start please?

Many thanks if you would do this for me.

I might have a crack at upgrading if the wirng is there.

#48 ·
Here's a thought. I have a remote start system for my STI (Viper 5901 for those interested). That's essentially a push-button start since it's one button press to start the car. Is there any way we could tap into something like that to rig an actual push button in the car? I'm not very technically/engineer-ily minded, so feel free to laugh at the suggestion if it makes no sense.

#52 ·
This thread was intended to simply show a swap from a black start button to the red STI button. The car is in the U.A.E and already has push button start. Plug and play.

Performing a true conversion from USDM/Australian to EDM/other would cost thousands--ECU, antennas, sensors, button, surround, key(s), harnesses, etc.

In the interest of just getting the button functional, icycold got the pinouts and figured out how to wire it so that

• the switch is illuminated,
  • the center light is amber when the engine is off,
  • the center light is green(?) when the engine is running, and
  • pushing the button actuates the starter if the engine is not already running (though I am not sure he has found the correct wires for the starter yet).
Icycold's progress is shown here: http://www.iwsti.com/forums/gr-interior/153185-2008-sti-start-button-part-number-anyone.html
He and I both have the start button physically installed, though mine is not currently connected to anything.

#61 ·
Clean install :tup: However I still like the visceral feeling of firing up the car from turning the ignition :)

#65 ·
i installed a functional push button start on my usdm car with the jdm red push start as well.

Image Link

i picked up a bunch of jdm stuff in my last shipment, including some black push start buttons, red, and bezel trims for them so you can get them from me if interested.

check my FS post here: fs: (md) jdm power folding mirrors, jdm interior pieces, ss lines, & more!
:eek: how did you do it!!

I vote you need to do a how to on the push start botton for the usdm STi's !!!!

#66 ·
there's a few DIYs already out there and more being put together. they all use the same components basically. a lot of wiring but man i gotta tell you, so worth it!

here's the original post from when i installed it back in 10/2010:
custom sedan LED taillamps ... (monkiboy - build journal) - Page 3

here are some DIYs:
DIY: Push to Start
DIY: The Push Start Everything needed inside thread

let me know if you have any questions or need any of the jdm parts. i do power folding mirrors, rear fog, push start stuff, etc.

g'luck!

#70 ·
check out the DIYs i posted. they list what is needed. then check out my FS post for what i have available, mainly the jdm parts. i have a red jdm push start in my next shipment in but i don't want to turn this into a FS post so just shoot me a PM when you're familiar with what you need and are willing to drop some money on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.