IW STi Forum banner

21 - 40 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
The onl way I would do this is with a proximity key. Otherwise I just don't see the point. we have a push button start in our Genesis coupe and I still can't get used to it.

Tony

Maybe you are right, But when I use my other car carrying some stuff and want to go inside the car..... Need to do alot of work . lol
The keyless make it easier for you ;)

·
Registered
541 Posts
The onl way I would do this is with a proximity key. Otherwise I just don't see the point. we have a push button start in our Genesis coupe and I still can't get used to it.

Tony
i think the Impreza models w/ push button start also have proximity keys
(hence the little button on the exterior front door handles in some JDM pics)

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
No adjustable HID level? I don't see it next to the illumination dial. Does your STI have halogen lights?

No, my EDM STI has an Auto light adjust with light washer and HID.
So, it's working automatically, just like when you go up by the car it's go down. But I will love to have a manual instead of auto :(

·
Registered
858 Posts
I love push start buttons...All the new lexus's i drive from the dealership I do work for have them....I like it more then the key now after getting to use the button.

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
No, my EDM STI has an Auto light adjust with light washer and HID.
So, it's working automatically, just like when you go up by the car it's go down. But I will love to have a manual instead of auto :(
Very interesting! Thanks for explaing that. The new button looks great BTW.

·
Registered
663 Posts
what is the bezel part number?
using that on a USDM is just a matter of getting the bezel, wiring the push start, and getting the L/R button and auto mirror button right?

·
Registered
644 Posts
what is the bezel part number?
using that on a USDM is just a matter of getting the bezel, wiring the push start, and getting the L/R button and auto mirror button right?
You can use the existing L/R mirror buttons and UDSM blank for the powerfold slot, which are all one unit--83061SA000. The switch bezel is Japanparts 317-202-001. The site lists the Subaru part as "83002C", but the part they ship is actually 83002FG060JM.

The red STi pushbutton is Japanparts 1008P-003-001. The Subaru part number is 83031ST000.

The bezel on opposedforces is drawn backwards for LHD (EDM). The correct drawing is shown under RHD. Note that it has the same fitment for 83061SA000 as the USDM bezel.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I'd love to use a proximity key. Drove a Renault Clio Sport in Germany back in March adn it had a prox key. It was actually damn nice. Just walk up to the car, hop in, push a button. Leave it in your pocket. It was pretty handy. The only thing that I get curious about is people sniffing the key codes (gotta love RFID in that respect...)

Seriously, as "boy racer" as it may sound, I'd like to install the button in my car, it's just cool (sort of a guilty pleasure sort of thing). I wonder what it would take to put one of these in a '08. I'm also curious if they plug is there already or if it would take come customization to make it work.

/me is intrigued

·
Registered
644 Posts
I'd love to use a proximity key. Drove a Renault Clio Sport in Germany back in March adn it had a prox key. It was actually damn nice. Just walk up to the car, hop in, push a button. Leave it in your pocket. It was pretty handy. The only thing that I get curious about is people sniffing the key codes (gotta love RFID in that respect...)

Seriously, as "boy racer" as it may sound, I'd like to install the button in my car, it's just cool (sort of a guilty pleasure sort of thing). I wonder what it would take to put one of these in a '08. I'm also curious if they plug is there already or if it would take come customization to make it work.

/me is intrigued
The plug is not there. You would have to change the harness to one of the EDMs and then there is quite a bit more that would be required, possibly even a new ECU.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Without seeing the actual wiring diagram, it would be hard to say. It may be something as simple as fishing a couple wires through and adding them to the connector plugs (I would imagine they use the same plugs for every market and just add or subtract wires as neccessary).

·
Registered
644 Posts
Doing an OEM conversion would probably cost hundreds or even thousands of dollars between the dash wiring harness (one of the four EDM harnesses), the chassis harness and sensors, the keycard, and the ECU.

It might be possible to simply add the 83031ST000 or 83031AG001 into the ignition switch line once someone posts the pinouts of the switch.

http://i670.photobucket.com/albums/vv68/gvfs_rocketmail/STI/starter_system.jpg
I neglected to put the multimeter on mine prior to installing it because I was planning on repurposing the switch later. What would be really helpful is the wiring diagram for the switch itself from the EDM service manual.

·
Registered
644 Posts
looks a lot nicer
was thinkin of getting one..then i noticed its 180$ ??? wtf!
It is a rip-off, but it is also not just a momentary switch. It is part of what looks to be a one small piece of a fairly complex system that works in place of the key and lock cylinder the USDM cars have.

·
Registered
663 Posts
It could be just a switch, but it could also be a switch with a chip that does: first press: assessory, second press: start engine, third press.....

·
Registered
644 Posts
http://www.iwsti.com/forums/2504977-post8.html

As pointless as it is installed in my car, the JDM/EDM bezel and switch look much better in the dash than the USDM bezel because the other controls are not spread out to fill in the space. The busier, more compact look of the non-USDM bezel works better aesthetically.

·
Registered
644 Posts
so pointless as in your still need the key? or pointless as in?
Pointless as in

• Currently it is completely non-functional because there is nothing plugged into it. So it is not even illuminating with the instrument lights.
  • There is virtually no possibility of employing this switch properly as part of the LHD EDM OEM keyless setup.
  • I still need the key and will always need the key, even if the switch is added to the starter circuit.
I do not think it is even possible to buy the plug that inserts into it without the dash harness. As Europeans destroy these cars in greater numbers, more of these parts should turn up in European salvage yards.

21 - 40 of 71 Posts