IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oh wonderful day!! I installed Alchohol Injection on my car the other day and its amazing!! I can now tell that my ECU was pulling timing all the time since the gas around my area is only 92, to protect it from detenation. Now instead of it being kind of flat around 4 grand RPM it pulls hard all the way to all most 7 grand RPM. Also I have gained a noticeable difference in boost pressure, maybe around 500 lbs quicker spool up.
I would recommend this simple mod to anyone looking to upgrade his car. There is a thread on the NASIOC site that gives some more info. The guy who had the first Alchohol Injected WRX lives in my area and I just went to him for help. We did it over 2 days since its cold out and his shop is not heated.
Seriously no reflash for me!!

Attachments

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
more pics, sorry these are a little out of order but I think you all can put them together with a little imagination. Hope you all like and maybe it helps a little!!

Attachments

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I Dont think the CAI is worthless, It seemed to make a difference on mine. No adverse affects. Alchohol brings the air going through the throttle body down in temperature, raises the octane basically; so no detenation and also cools the exhaust tempature. As I understand it.
Like running 100 octane fuel but cheaper. I can put 90 octane in and still have no issues with knock.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Re: Silver STi on I-95 South

coxSTI said:
I Dont think the CAI is worthless, It seemed to make a difference on mine. No adverse affects. Alchohol brings the air going through the throttle body down in temperature, raises the octane basically; so no detenation and also cools the exhaust tempature. As I understand it.
Like running 100 octane fuel but cheaper. I can put 90 octane in and still have no issues with knock.
And what kind of 'alcohol' are you talking about here.
Not isopropyl?

- Janq

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
you can use isopropyl or ethonol(sorry spelling) or even something like everclear if it's late and no hardware/car shops are open. I would recommend something over 150 proof. Basically buy a couple shots for you car :D But you can get the Alchohol from like a hardware store, or auto parts store. example of ethonol product (HEET or ISO-HEET)

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Very cool cox! So how do you have the controller setup? WOT or what? Are you running 100% alcohol? Did you tune it at all with a wideband to see what was going on?

-st

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
That's sweet, after reading about alcohol/water injection it's definately a mod i think is worth while.

Have you tried resetting your ECU or do you think it would change anything?

Also, is the only reason to pick alcohol BC its below freezing temps consistently in alaska? I'd like to run water injection (way down the road... dont even have an sti yet) just BC its a lot cheaper to keep filling a water bottle than an alcohol bottle, and it accomplishes the same thing....

·
Registered
241 Posts
coxSTI said:
you can use isopropyl or ethonol(sorry spelling) or even something like everclear if it's late and no hardware/car shops are open. I would recommend something over 150 proof. Basically buy a couple shots for you car :D But you can get the Alchohol from like a hardware store, or auto parts store. example of ethonol product (HEET or ISO-HEET)
So you can put a bottle of 151 in there and it'll work!?!?!? :eek: :lol:

·
Registered
595 Posts
Methanol would be a beter choice. It is easily found at racing stores everywhere. Even all of the karting stores will carry it. We sell it at work for $2.50/ gallon.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Cool mode!

How much alcohol does the car go through?

Is it constantly metered, or is it turned on when "needed" like a nitrous system?

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Winter Central NY MEET!!!!!!

I definitely would not put a plastic container like that in the spot you have.

I know a guy who has water injection on his WRX. I like the idea of water injection over alcohol because it is non-flammable. However since it is not combustible, the nozzle and pump are much more critical. He uses the aquamist system and the pump and nozzle get such a fine mist the water is not an issue. He put the nozzle in almost the same spot as CoxSTi to help prevent the water from accumulating on the inside surfaces of hte IC.

Maybe downt he road after I get some fuel management I will add water injection, but I am making satisfactory power.... for now... :)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I probably will have to fill the Alchohol every three tanks of gas. I havent seen yet since it has been only 3 days. Reference to the computer, I havent changed anything yet.
The guy Bob that helped me put mine in, his tank is in the same spot and has had no problems with the tank heating up or anything. There is actually about an inch and a half between the tank and anything else, maybe the picture doesnt really show. So, there is enough airflow around the bottle. Plus there really isnt another spot to put it, except maybe in the trunk, or where the battery is and put it in the trunk.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
G-shock said:
Cool mode!

How much alcohol does the car go through?

Is it constantly metered, or is it turned on when "needed" like a nitrous system?
The alchohol meter is connected to my boost line so at a certain point say 7psi it turns on, then it gradually puts more in as the boost pressure increases.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Audi RS6

stiperf - My thought exactly! Also not sure I like the looks of the box in the cockpit - at least the way cox has it, but I like the idea if not for the fire issue. Perhaps in the trunk, or would that be "open container"? :eek:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts