IW STi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
purchased an exedy stage 2 clutch for my 04 sti and when shopping around to have it installed i was given either, in my opinion, excessively high price quotes or no quote at all as most shops refused to work on my car. i live in new orleans and subaru's aren't as popular in this area as up north so the price difference/lack of familiarity with the car is understandable. however, the dealer quoted me a price of almost $750 minimum while another car shop gave me a price of $1100. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
so the question is whether these prices are fair and i should just go to the dealer or should i just try to do it myself and if so what should i be expecting to get myself into?

·
Premium Member
4,120 Posts
$500 - $750 is fair yes. There is a fair amount of labor involved. I would say no to doing it yourself if you have never done a clutch before. Also if you are keeping your stock flywheel I would suggest getting it resurfaced as well...

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Dang, I was told ~$550 from a local honda tuning shop (they put a tilton twin disc clutch in an STI just recently).

The only way I'd do it myself is if I had a garage, lift, and tranny jack for the weekend, along with a couple buddies who had done the install before.

·
Registered
184 Posts
its 5.5 hours worth of labor so do the math. most shops charge between 75 and 80 dollars an hour. the subaru dealer quoted me 550 but i got another shop to do it for 415. the dealership is trying to get a fluid change out of clutch change from what i hear.

·
Registered
6,554 Posts
its pretty cool, i did it and takes two days, you dont need a tranny jack or anything, just a 3ton jack, four stands and a small aircompressor with air tools.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the info. getting it done next weekend at subaru

·
Registered
248 Posts
got my exedy racing clutch done at subie spec for 500 cash..

pretty hard to do yourself.. need quite a few tools.. a floor jack.. jack stands.. bottle jack.. or makeshift stuff but that gets dangerous

·
Registered
6,554 Posts
you can use a floorjack to remove the tranny.

FujiApples said:
got my exedy racing clutch done at subie spec for 500 cash..

pretty hard to do yourself.. need quite a few tools.. a floor jack.. jack stands.. bottle jack.. or makeshift stuff but that gets dangerous

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
actually ended up cancelling the deal at subaru cause one of the other members here, nater, was able to set me up with a mechanic that will do it on an off day for a damn good price. anyone have any known problems with the installation of the exedy racing clutch that i should be aware of?

·
Registered
509 Posts
If im not mistaken doesnt the stage 2 kit include the flywheel? Im being hit at $1900 purchased and installed. Everyone else wanted over $2400.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
it didn't include the new flywheel. it was an option for another 300. the kit did include the pilot and throwout bearings interestingly enough though.
will post up a review on how the install went and how it drives when its done on satuday/sunday. oh yeah,,,,break in period? any information on that or what the main difference is going to be in how it drives?

·
Registered
214 Posts
ya i have the same clutch, boy are you gonna have some buff ass legs like me after driving with that clutch, its pretty stiff and the break in period is 500 miles!

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
holy **** that's a stiff friggen clutch man!
drove it last night and today and it feels like i can kick doors down now.
feels like god just backhanded you everytime you shift gears, that 3 puck catches incredibly hard, really recommend this clutch set up if you're looking to light up the wheels in 1st and want to see if you can snap your neck downshifting.

·
Registered
248 Posts
my exedy clutch is annoying the hell outta me now lol.. but you'll enjoy it for a while..

the instant engagement thing gets annoying as hell for street driving..

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
yeah i noticed it sucks when in line to pay bridge toll or getting something to go. also i was warned that i will probablly snap an axle or break my tranny if i push it to hard between shifts. how do you manage to avoid stress during spirited driving and not manage to bog from a start. right now it a hit or miss with me off the line.

·
Registered
248 Posts
when your starting out 1st gear.. give it more gas.. dont let rpm drop too far.. and just let go of the clutch steadily and quickly.. bogging will screw up your engine and tranny mounts as well as all the actually parts.. ex. engine..

for between shifts.. these clutches are built for race driving.. so they engage tight and fast and are meant for fast speeds.. just match rpms well and you wont harm anything :D have fun..

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
thanks for the info. the more i drive it the easier it gets so shift smoothly. feels great and i'm glad i chose the 3 puck set up, 5th and 6th are really** fun now.
do you have the flywheel upgraded on your sti as well and does it make any appreciable difference on yours? i ended up getting mine resurfaced and regret not tossing on the exedy flywheel as well.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts