IW STi Forum banner

Install notes/howto: Hyperflow TMIC

12K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  Hyperflow 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Here are some pics and notes on the install of jdbewl01's new Hyperflow TMIC. This is an awesome intercooler and a great mod. I couldn't believe the difference it made, and after hard driving for 5 or 6 miles, it was actually cool to the touch, not just warm or bearable, but honest to goodness cool, like it hadn't been started overnight. I think it's partly due to the monstrous nature of this beast!

Care to guess which one is not stock!?!? That core is about 6" thick!

Here's what it looks like installed:

There are a couple of things to note about this install. First, if you're going to change your PCV valve, this is the time. Here's where you'll find it, it's the red arrow:

Just for orientation, the green arrow is the turbo outlet and the blue arrow is the throttle body. If you're going to change it, you'll find that it's not available at autozone or whatever. Their book says they have it, but it's all lies. Besides, it's screwed into a little plastic fitting and doesn't come out readily. Just suck it up and buy the assembled unit from the Suby dealer.

Next, when you put this in, the brackets won't line up quite right, or didn't for us. On the Passenger side bracket, we ended up drilling a new hole and putting a bolt and nut through it. On the driver's side, the big black bracket was too bulky and rubbed hard against the side of the cooler, despite our best efforts. We took the bracket off and ground it down by a good 3-4mm on the side against the intercooler to make it clear.

We also put on a perrin hose set, including bypass valve hose, tmic inlet hose, and throttle body coupler. They all installed pretty easily, but you have to be ready to trim them, they come pretty long. Also, we found it's best to put everything together (except the clamps at the cooler inlets) somewhat loosely, and tighten up the clamps down after you have everything more or less in place. Perrin included a nicer set of hose clamps too, which was nice.

Once the intercooler was in, Jeremy was nice enough to give me the honors of the first drive, and I have never noticed such a dramatic change in a car before from just adding one thing like that, it was great. The boost came on smoother and sooner, peak boost was higher, and I want to say that the engine sounded a little smoother under throttle.

Overall, it was a successful evening of parts swapping! :tup:

See less See more
#5 ·
thanks guys! josh and i appreciate the replies. i've not noticed any heatsoak at all. popped the hood after several hard runs, and also after idling in traffic, and the i/c is merely lukewarm at its worst. after driving on the freeway, it's kind of neat to hop out and feel the i/c; it's a little warm on the turbo side, and usually downright COOL as it enters the throttlebody!! keep an eye out for a quality used one like i did, and you will NOT be disappointed. all the best,

-jeremy

JJ18Sniper said:
Great writeup :tup:

Has heat soak set in yet? I'm curious to see if it's worth it in the long run.

#6 ·
Is the larger intercooler installed on a STI or a WRX? How much was the intercooler and were did you but it? I'm thinking of the EBay intercooler, think its a good one? Do you have to tune the ECU after putting on a new and bigger intercooler and is there any negative effect with a bigger intercooler on a stock STi living in Florida were its hot all the time?

#7 ·
this was installed on an 04 wrx. i bought it used from a member on nasioc, for less than half of retail. i hear good things about the ebay top mount, but i think that's "good" relative to to the stockers, both wrx and sti. i have not personally seen an ebay tmic, but there are some side by side comparos on nasioc showing that the fin density is much greater on similarly sized name brand ones; in other words, you get what you pay for. as in the earlier posts, i noticed a huge difference immediately with no tuning other than the cobb off the shelf base map. i think a bigger i/c will do nothing but help you no matter where you live, but of course maximum gains will only be realized with proper tuning. i am going to be messing around with streettuner tonight, so hopefully i will be able to get a nice tune, then get a couple of dyno runs to compare the two maps.

-jeremy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.