IW STi Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:( I noticed that Speed TV is scheduled to show the Oregon race starting the 24th. Surely they would be respectful and edit around the accident right? I ask because this will be my first WRC viewing (I have also talked all of my friends and family into coming over as well) and am very sensitive to tragedies like this being possibly mishandled. I would gladly skip this race to avoid what might seem like capitalization on something so horrendous. Anyone that has been following WRC on tv know how they've handled it before?
:cry:

·
Registered
163 Posts
ping

well you should understand that the oregon rally is not WRC. Otherwise, I think they should show the event as well as the crash, it happened, it is part of the events history. But should not dwell on it, and not play it in instant replay 10 times. I really hope that they do handle the crash and related events properly as it is a sad sad thing to happen.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Ther eis a fine line between tasteful and plain insensitive. I hope that there is coverage of the crash, i.e. how it happened, but I don't feel it is nessasary to see the actual crash. It would be like 9/11 all over again... Let's focus on their career's not the demise.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What exactly is the difference between this race and WRC? Stricter rules or something? I guess WRC Monte Carlo is a WRC race, whereas the Oregon Trail Rally is just that...

·
Registered
311 Posts
Newbie question - C4S vs. STi

WRC is the Wolrd Rally CHampionship (international), while the Oregon rally is part of SCCA (National, in the USA).

·
Registered
311 Posts
Oh yeah, Since the SCCA doesn't have as much funds as the WRC, then they probably didn't have cameras on all parts of the rally. They would be lucky if they got footage of the crash, even from a spectator. I could be wrong though. I dont think they would show it unless they had a commentary about their carrer. Then theres the family, who might not want their loss broadcast across the world.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Since OTR is being broadcast only 1 week after the incident, they will probably say something about it, but not show any footage. I mean, how can you talk about a race where participants where killed and not at least mention that it happened? I don't think Speed will dwell on it since they seem to have respect for the sport and for the crews involved, and as Sha_zapple said, they probably didn't get any footage of it anyway. Expect it to be mentioned and expect to hear a bit about their past, but not much else.

If you are trying convince your parents/wife/whatever to let you get involved in the sport as a driver or co-driver, then the OTR broadcast will probably not be the best venue to introduce them to the sport. Pick one that didn't involve anybody crashing too bad.

I read elsewhere that officials expected to spend two weeks analyzing the "black box" to determine exactly what happened - speed, tire grip, reactions of the driver, etc. I imagine, once the families have had time to grieve, and the investigators have had time to analyize the data, we'll probably start hearing more about this. I would expect to see crash footage at the end of the year, during the end-of-season reports.

You don't drive down a tree-lined gravel road at 100+MPH without knowing full well the dangers involved. Nobody expects a crew to be killed, but it can happen. Launch a car at high-speeds into the trees and there's a very good chance something horrible will happen. This is not the first time people have died in professional racing, rally or otherwise, and it won't be the last.

·
Registered
43 Posts
1 week break in vs 1 month

BHODGES3 said:
What exactly is the difference between this race and WRC? Stricter rules or something? I guess WRC Monte Carlo is a WRC race, whereas the Oregon Trail Rally is just that...
WRC is "World Rally Championship" and hosted by the FIA. Monte Carlo just happens to be the first event of the WRC season (every season?) and just happens to be all tarmac (asphault) so it tends to look more like a road race than a rally.

The Oregon Trail ProRally is an SCCA (Sports Car Club of America) event and is just one event in the ProRally season.

In both the WRC and the SCCA ProRally, there are events which take place on all types of roads - asphault, snow, dirt/mud, gravel, etc. They both take place on public roads which have been closed off for the race. The cars in the WRC and the SCCA ProRallies are very similar, at least the Group N and open class cars. The SCCA races have a different set of restrictions due to stricter environmental laws in the USA, but mechanically the cars aren't too different. An Impreza in both races will be AWD, turbo charged, and putting out 300HP...just like our STi's (of course the rally cars have $100,000 worth of other modifications, including tubular space frames, but hey, who's counting?) :)

The rules are pretty similar for both.

·
Registered
105 Posts
does anyone know when this show is going to be aired?

I dont think there would be any footage of this accident available since when this accident happened, the people who were driving werent even clear. If they had cameras rolling, they would have at least known the drivers, and they would probably have an idea of their speed and reason for accident.

Was this rally ever finished?

·
Registered
311 Posts
That time sounds about right.

They probably did finish the rally, but cancelled the stage that the accident was on. It may be a tragedy, but the world must keep on turning.

·
Registered
43 Posts
The accident happened on SS1. That stage and SS4 (SS1 in reverse) were cancelled but the rest of the stages were run that day (SS2, 3, 5, and 6).

The rally was completed, but I won't say who won, for those that prefer to wait until they see it on TV. :wink:

And yes, the 24th at 11pm Eastern on Speed. The mid-season report is this Thursday, 17th, at 11pm Eastern. I wonder if they will say anything? I don't know how far in advance they film these mid-season things.

·
Registered
11 Posts
An Impreza in both races will be AWD, turbo charged, and putting out 300HP...just like our STi's (of course the rally cars have $100,000 worth of other modifications, including tubular space frames, but hey, who's counting?) :)

The rules are pretty similar for both.

You might want to increase that number by about $5,000,000

The 555 Subaru WRC team cars are made out of titanium, the body with the the cage installed weighs about 500 pounds. WRC is the second most expensive (in tearms of car cost) form of racing, behind Formula One.

·
Registered
311 Posts
that, is the stupidest thing i have ever heard.

Its the original body, alll they do is reinforce all the joints and add a roll cage. Maybe they do that with titanium, i dont know, but they certainly dont make the car out of it (unless thats what the car is made of). The car has to weight a certain weight (whatever the weight of the car, that is probably the minimum, around 1500 pounds).

And the cost of an average WRC car is $300,000, its the drivers that get paid upwards of 1 million (especially the good ones like Colin Mcrae with his several million)

·
Registered
311 Posts
Whoops, hers the actual weight. Its 1230kg (the WRC minimum, so all cars are this weight)

Damn the imperial system!

BTW, 300bhp @ 5500rpm is the power (1994cc)

·
Registered
11 Posts
The car has to weight a certain weight (whatever the weight of the car, that is probably the minimum, around 1500 pounds).
I don't disagree that the car has to weigh a certain weight, but add an engine, seats, wheels and spare and jack, fuel cell, safety equipment, and all the communications equipment and your up to around 2000 pounds. The FIA allows you to mount ballast in the car, so then what they do is put lead inside the frame rails to get the weight up to the limit, and keep the center of gravity low.

·
Registered
311 Posts
When they used to have the Kenyan rally they let the teams carry two spare tires.

I have heard of them adding weight to the cars. Of course the parts still need to be the same weight. One year Richard Burns got disqualified from the rally for having too light of a flywheel (by mistake of course)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts