IW STi Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i have a 1300cc ID injectors and being installed right now but the problem is i didnt have my tuner install it because he is charging me 600 to install so i found a trustworthy mechanic to have it instal for cheap so my question is it gonna hurt my injectors for driving it to my tuner while its not tuned or is it better just to have it towed to my tuner. It is like 6-7 miles away 3 miles will be on the freeway like going 60- 65mph. Because my tuner said if i start driving it without tuning it will hurt the injectors like something in the injector will get burn and it will be broken.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Get a base map at the least. If your tuner doesn't want to help go elsewhere. This already sounds sketchy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
The car will bearly run with after market injectors and a stock map. You will need some kind of base map or other map that is calibrated for injectors. I honestly wouldn't recommend driving it without the proper map. Ask your tuner if they will send you a base map to baby the car over to them. I would not recommend using boost at all until you are tuned for those injectors. You asked if you will damage the injectors running them without a tune. I am unsure if that could cause actual damage to the injector but it could cause engine damage if it isnt taken care of correctly.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Who tuned the car before now? I assume you have an AP since you mentioned a COBB map. Whoever tuned the car could rescale the tune for the injectors. It would run, in theory, the same as if you haven't changed anything.

·
Registered
323 Posts
The great thing with ID they basically give you a base map from their website. Go-to support, select Cobb Subaru and download the excel doc for 1300cc. The values were incredibly close, mine was less than 2% in values that needed to be catered for the base. This also works for e85 base maps. Good food for thought. If your tuner is not willing to send you a quick base I would possibly look elsewhere.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
The great thing with ID they basically give you a base map from their website. Go-to support, select Cobb Subaru and download the excel doc for 1300cc. The values were incredibly close, mine was less than 2% in values that needed to be catered for the base. This also works for e85 base maps. Good food for thought. If your tuner is not willing to send you a quick base I would possibly look elsewhere.

So if i get that map i could drive my car to my tuner without damaging the injectors/engine? And will the map good for a 2011 sti?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Who tuned the car before now? I assume you have an AP since you mentioned a COBB map. Whoever tuned the car could rescale the tune for the injectors. It would run, in theory, the same as if you haven't changed anything.
Yes i have a cobb ap but i tuned my car way before and it was at cali now i moved to colorado so i cant really contact him

·
Registered
323 Posts
It won't be a map, you'll still need a program to create the base map, Cobb pro tuner, RomRaider or whatnot. But it will give you plug in values. Who are you using for the tune?

·
Super Moderator
8,396 Posts
It won't hurt your injectors to run it, but it may hurt your motor... so I really hope your tuner didn't actually say the former. As already stated, ID gives you the numbers you need to make your own base map. However, with Cobb, they've fucked you in changing anything yourself unless you want to take a class and spin more money.

And what kind of tuner hasn't already offered you a base map? Between that and a $600 injector install, I'd recommend finding someone else.

http://injectordynamics.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/ID1300-Cobb-Subaru-Characterization-Tables-4-3-14.xls

·
Registered
432 Posts
There's a really good write up on nasioc for the injector install. It's actually pretty easy to swap out. Should take about 2-3 hours.

There are some pointers that the NASIOC writeup didn't cover on the first page but was covered by another contributor in a subsequent post. The OP had a hard time with the passenger side fuel rail guard because he wasn't sure if he could remove the banjo bolt that was blocking one of the bolts securing the fuel rail toward the front. You actually could remove it but make sure you torque it properly when you tighten it back up later. This will make the passenger side install as easy as the driver's side install.

DW 850cc Injector step-by-step install w/ NKG Iridium plugs too! - NASIOC

1 - 14 of 14 Posts