IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Line paint

My mother wants to get me a new car, at the moment shes thinking of getting a Saab 93 Aero(31k) for herself then give it to me in the spring. Yet the STI is just as expensive and one that I would rather drive. However my dad is being real anal. He has been getting every Autoweek and some other car magizines for years and claims he doesnt know anything about the WRX, which I think is unbelievable because almost every month theres something in there about it. Are there any internet atricles of awards or anything pro STI propaganda I can print out for him to read on vacation :).

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
mrdonbonjovi said:
My mother wants to get me a new car, at the moment shes thinking of getting a Saab 93 Aero(31k) for herself then give it to me in the spring. Yet the STI is just as expensive and one that I would rather drive. However my dad is being real anal. He has been getting every Autoweek and some other car magizines for years and claims he doesnt know anything about the WRX, which I think is unbelievable because almost every month theres something in there about it. Are there any internet atricles of awards or anything pro STI propaganda I can print out for him to read on vacation :).
How old are you? I don't want to give you a lecture, but I really wouldn't suggest the STi for a novice (less than 7-10 yrs driving experience). It is an extremely fast car and you can easily kill yourself in it.

: )

-st

·
Registered
11 Posts
Take the Saab and like it!

I have a STI (a great car), but there is no way any mother would buy one. This is a hardcore car, for hardcore driving! Anyone looking for a luxury car should not even pass by the dealership. There are lots of great cars that you could get your mother to buy, but this is not one of them. Now, the new 05 Legacy turbo, BMW 325I, or the Infiniti G35 coupe could work!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It wouldn't just be for me. I agree that I am young and dont have very much driving expereince, only 17. My parents are looking for a new car that they will give to me before I graduate highschool. I dont drive like a retard, I have been driving a manual for a year now. I know the STI is an animal, so is the Saab in its own respect... However the Saab is more of a chick car... :)

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
First AutoX in my STi

Yukonart said:
Ohhhhhh. . . . B4 Legacy . . . . 8)
Yeah subby really surprised me with the new Legacy - very nice. The lines are sort of German. The engine options sound sick too.

-st

M

·
0 Posts
That Saab 9-3 is a sweet ass car. You would be lucky to drive that in highschool. I'd push for the Vector model though, :)

If by chick car, you mean it will get the chicks, then yes it will. My friend has one and the ladies LOVE it. They all think it's like a 50 grand car. Of course, I don't hang out with people who are high school aged, so you may have to move up to older women to impress them!

·
Registered
304 Posts
Belated post...I've got one, too!

Come on guys.

"This car is too good for amateurs like you. You need to have ___ years experience like us."

Whats with all this damn STi elitism on the forums?

Any performance car can be driven carefully, and any shitbox beater can be driven wrecklessly. The chances of one being more dangerous than others is negligible. The guy likely isnt a complete moron, and knows not to floor it on 90 degree turns when the road is covered in black ice. I would actually argue that this car is far safer than 90% of the alternatives.

mrdonbonjovi, do everything in your power to get that STi :) Some older STi owners are seriously bothered by seeing young guys in this car. Dont let it get to you.

·
Registered
4,021 Posts
roll call for front range Colorado people?

i got hated on by a few other sti's i saw. they think i'm like 19 (i'm 25,just look young) i think it's cool if a young guy has a nice ride like this,but not if he thinks he's the shit when his mommy bought it. (not saying you would)

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Is your alignment off?

googe said:
Come on guys.

"This car is too good for amateurs like you. You need to have ___ years experience like us."

Whats with all this damn STi elitism on the forums?

Any performance car can be driven carefully, and any shitbox beater can be driven wrecklessly. The chances of one being more dangerous than others is negligible. The guy likely isnt a complete moron, and knows not to floor it on 90 degree turns when the road is covered in black ice. I would actually argue that this car is far safer than 90% of the alternatives.

mrdonbonjovi, do everything in your power to get that STi :) Some older STi owners are seriously bothered by seeing young guys in this car. Dont let it get to you.
Elitism? Please, drop the drama. If I had it my way, everyone would be fortunate enough to have an STi. There is no way in hell this car should be someone's first car. It is not safe because it takes time to get use to driving ANY car, let alone one of the fastest production street cars in the world.

I could care less how old any driver is as long as they have the proper experience and/or training to drive the car. If you are 17 with no more than instruction from a driver's ed program and advice from your parents, you are not qualified to drive this car. It won't take flooring it on black ice either. This car has enough power to get you into trouble in ideal conditions.

-st

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
www.autoweek.com
search STi.. There r 3 great articles there, link on sti media forum here..

mrdonbonjovi said:

·
So Gangster It Hurts
3,520 Posts
Googe, I don't think anyone's really TELLING dbj not to get an STi. . . more like "if you do, be very careful at your age, and we'd recommend a driving course for it" type of advice.

Indeed, ANY car can be driven wrecklessly. . . but few cars have the potential of explosive accelleration like the STi has. . . which CAN LEAD to a dangerous situation. In my years of driving . . . driver training, but more like experience, is the difference between actually making your way out of said situation or becoming a statistic. :(

It's not about respecting the driver in this case. . . it's about respecting the car's potential.

M

·
0 Posts
Re: speed

Not to mention a sub 20 year old driver is far more likely to drive way beyond his limits than an older driver who has more respect for life.

I know one thing, I didn't fear death until about 25, the STi in high school would have been BAD for me.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Yes, if u under 25 and have STi u will get
1) reckless driving ticker and/or
2) accident with your fault and/or
3) total your STi and/or
4) $5000+ a year insurance premium..

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discontinue?

There's no way you're mom is going to be happy if she has to subject herself to the STi. STi does not equal comfort. Can you imagine how she would feel in a stickshift car with an insane amount of tire noise, no radio, and every pebble gives you jolt strong enough to make your teeth rattle? Oh yeah there are no mats either.

Also how would you feel about putting her in a car where she is the center of attention of every cop. And I know you definatley don't want the ricer crowd pulling up to her and being like:

He Bebe, come to Beavis.... 8)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts