IW STi Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just installed the double adjustable Cobb SS in my 05 Sti today was waiting for this for long time. but since the install I went out driving I have much more increased shift effort. Not like when I had stock shifter lever on I could shifte with 3 fingers and have the stick glide into gear. Now I have to keep good grip on the knob and really push and pull to get in gear. Has anyone experienced this or did I do something wrong with the install. BTW the bottom of the shifter is set so the stick is right about in the middle of the ring or where the middle allen head screws are on the shifter ring Your help and input would much be appreciated please.

·
Registered
429 Posts
few things to look at.
did you grease all the pivot points? how tight is the center bolt for the shifter rod? if its too tight then you will have some bind. correct spec is 12pounds. not much but enough to keep it together

Tom

·
Registered
459 Posts
Also if you adjust the Cobb DA for a super short throw you won't have enough clearance from the front boot. If your car shifts easy into 2nd, 4th, and 6th you may be rubbing. Also if you are that short you're going to have a hard time with the excess cable wanting to rub on the drive shaft. I had to zip tie mine twice now.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I used crc Moly based grease that has graphite and teflon for the install. When I installed the pivot bushing which is the new TIC piece I put greas on the inside of the cnc machined hole that the bushing goes in then I put it on the bushing itself outsie where it will contact the shifter then I put some on the metal sleeve that goes in the bushing then i put some insie the bushing where the metal sleeve goes inside. Is that enough grease? I may have to check How well i coated the surfaces. The bolt ofr the pivot bushing is just tight enough to hole everything together. i can take a box wrench and spin the bolt atount on the bolt side. I do have some rubbing from the rubber boot up front but it still seems like 2nd 4th 6th take more effort than before. I did check the cable clearance and have at least a fingers width clearance between drivesaft and cable. I did make an adjustment to shorten the lower section so there is not as much rubbing on the boot but will have to check the clearance of the cable again tomorrow. I will also put some teflon material on the shaft and the rubber boot so if they do rub then there will be less friction. I originally had the shifter stick like I said in the middle of the shifter ring whe looking at it on from the side. I now mooved it back maybe 3/8 inch but still have some rubbing into the 1st 3rd 5th gears. Rear gears still seem tight. Do I have to lube the bolt and the metal sleeve where the bolt goes through on the pivot pt? maybe that's what's binding up ? If I djust the lower section of the shifter anymore then it will be the stock shifter's height then what's the point? AHHHH! Going nuts. This is the second shifter cobb sent me. Had problems with the first one. And man do you have to tighten this thing up tight to get it to stay and not slide down or loosen! That happened after driving for twnety minutes after install. I was wondering why the shifter all of a sudden was hitting the lower edge of the shifter trim and whola the lower part of shifter was loose. Tom may have to call you or Clint at TIC if can't solve. AHHHH
Help:banghead:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts