IW STi Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I have been doing some research about upgrading some parts in my 2017 Impreza Sport. I have found that exhaust and cold air intake are the most basic upgrades to start with. I found that upgrading the chip in the car is also important because at a certain point the stock chip in the car can bottleneck performance and prevent other upgrades from reaching full potential. So my question is basically when should you worry about causing a bottle neck with your stock chip after upgrading other parts? Do you have to have top of the line exhaust and air intake in order to push the stock chip to bottleneck threshold? If you upgrade the exhaust and air intake is it possible to see performance increases without reaching the chip’s threshold causing a performance decrease?

Thank you!

·
Premium Member
5,397 Posts
Probably best to leave it stock.

What do you expect from upgrades?

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Stock intakes and exhausts don't leave as much power on the table as they used to. Unless it's a turbo engine or you just want more induction/ exhaust noise it's not really worth messing with. In the case of the intake changing it can require a tune since it can change how the air enters the engine. At one time I had a 2004 2.5RS and I got a lot more out of upgrading the suspension.

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
I don’t know that anybody fully answered your question. It is true, as stated above, that you need a tune if you change the air intake. You can upgrade the filter in the stock box without need for a tune.

On the exhaust, you can upgrade the catback without having to tune it, but once you change the downpipe you will have to tune the car. The catback will not add tons of power but you will get a bump, as well as weight reduction depending on the exhaust you choose, and it will sound better.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts