IW STi Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have experience with in dash stereo receivers with built in hard drives? Or even trunk mounted hard drives? I am considering one, but them seem pretty new (untested). Do they skip? Which model do you recommend? How is the sound quality?

I'm just tired of changing CDs.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Buy an IPOD?! I have just over 1200 songs on mine with room for about 5000 more. All you need is a head-unit that has a spare line-in, preferably in the back so you can run wires behind the scenes and make your own jack wherever you like. A HU with firewire is too much to ask for.... heh.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have an IPOD too and love it. I can even jog with it and it doesn't skip. Rockford Fosgate either has or is coming out with a car hard drive that is wifi compatable. So you can load your drive from you home computer.

BHodges is there a way to get sound out though the firewire port on the IPOD?

·
Registered
334 Posts
I don't have any experience with them yet, but I was thinking of getting an Alpine head unit (CDA-9815 or CDA-7998+amp), then a SSI Neo trunk unit with Alpine Ai-net adapter. That way it looks like a big CD-type jukebox to the head unit, no additional interface is needed, and song info is displayed. The unit slides out of the trunk container to a home USB dock to do all the transfers. The price doesn't look too bad as these things go.

Does anyone know if the car stereo pre-wiring in the STi includes any wiring to the trunk? Probably not -- hopefully the installers can install it cleanly.

As for skipping, the bandwidth from the disk is 100-400 times more than needed for MP3, and I'd hope they could include enough RAM to do a good deal of buffering. Ah, I see in the specs for the Neo that it includes 2 minutes of anti-shock. Hopefully the hard drives they're using can handle the shocks -- they're typically laptop drives that can withstand a lot.

·
Registered
526 Posts
What I would really like to see is an ai-net to iPod firewire cable/connector. That way you could plug in your iPod as if it were a CD changer and then take it with you. It really can't be that hard to produce. No more difficult than the SSI Neo device listed above.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Don't get an I-Pod, get a Nomad Jukebox 3 or a Jukebox ZEN. If you just want to play music in your car, then the NJB3 is perfect, but it is a little bigger than the ZEN. The I-Pod may be smaller than the ZEN, but not by much, and the ZEN is cheaper, and the battery lasts longer. A NJB3 with two batteries installed has more than double the battery life of the I-Pod. Both the I-Pod and ZEN have non-replacable batteries, but we (nomadness.net) belive we have found a $35 way of replacing the ZEN batteries. I am also working on a converter for ZEN/NJB3 to IP-Bus (Pioneer), but can easily be converted to any other interface, Alpine, Kenwood, or Sony.

-Drew

·
Registered
526 Posts
2002 WRX (MBP 5 speed)-for sale - low mileage, many upgrades

But will the Nomad Jukebox 3 or Jukebox ZEN work with my mac with iTunes? I don't use windows if I can help it. How are you making the converter? I'm curious as to what parts you are using.

Thanks,

·
Registered
886 Posts
IMO I-pods are better quality. They have the firewire and the menu is a lot easier to navigate on them, and they also sound better. But, they are more expensive, so you have to take your pick.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Re: How about Aluminum

Right now I'm waiting till the 28th to do anything about an iPod. Rumor has it something will happen to them that date. (new service, new models.... etc. something)

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
chawklit said:
They have the firewire...
the firewire was the single reason i wanted an i-pod. but with usb2 becoming big...i dunno. i'd have to go buy a usb2 card; i already have firewire support on my computer. in the end i'm inclinced to the pod just to finally own an elegant piece of apple technology.

·
Registered
437 Posts
If you have a fire-wire connection with an HU then it should be able to view the contents of the Ipod and be able to play the songs directly, as opposed to having to play them on the actual Ipod and use the headphone jack to listen. On a side note, I always find it amusing when a person's first post is them advertising something they are going to be selling. I wonder how long people stay guests on this board until they find that perfect plug, and then have to register?

·
Registered
526 Posts
I found the plug interesting too.

What head units do you know of that support firewire? I don't know of any but haven't been looking too long.

·
Registered
437 Posts
None that I know of. But if you check out www.apple.com you will see that as of yesterday, the complete ipod line has undergone huge changes. The new ipod has a USB connection as well as fire-wire. It's capacity increments have changed as well as it's dimensions/weights.

I can't believe they did this to me 2 months after I bought mine. Stinkin' computer companies.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well, I am not selling the converters yet, I haven't even made the first one.

As far as the firewire goes, both NJB3 and ZEN are avaliable with firewire and USB, and there is a ZEN avalbile with USB 2.0.

I saw the thing about the new I-Pods, and they look nice. The only thing is I-Pods use custom made 1.8" HDD, while the NJB3 and ZEN's use standard 2.5" HDD, which can be upgraded to 60GB fairly cheaply. I am shure Creative and RIO will come out with new Jukeboxes, but it may be a while. Creative plans to make one that plays video, etc. Some microsoft thing.

With connecting to a mac, I'd get an I-Pod. It integrates perfectly with I-Tunes. I don't know if the creative products even work with macs. I don't like apple's OS or hardware (only 1 manuf.), but the graphics are great. I would get an apple just to do video editing if I had a digital video camera.

I think the NJB3/ZEN has better sound than the I-Pod. I have heard both, and the I-Pod is like your typical CD-Player, it has fairly high bass. The NJB3/ZEN has a more natural sound, not as high bass. Which one is better is a personal prefrence, so you just need to hear both. Make shure you have some good headphones though.

The I-Pod navigates easily for anyone, even a 3 year old. The NJB3/ZEN takes some time to get used to, but in about 10 to 20 min, most people get used to it. Some like one more than the other, but I think they are both about the same.

One big thing with the ZEN/NJB3 is that you can create a playlist on the fly, which you can't do with the I-Pod. Depending on which way you listen to music, one can be better than the other. If you like to listen to songs from different artists in a specific order, the NJB3/ZEN is better, but if you want to shuffle all the songs by one artist, the I-Pod is better. It is again, a matter of personal prefrence.

With looks, the NJB3 is pretty much out. They both look nice, but, again, which one looks better is up to you. I think the I-Pods look too polished, and the ZEN looks like a chrome/techno kind of thing. They both look nice, some like the I-Pod and some like the ZEN.

The ZEN/NJB3 does have third-party software better than Playcenter or I-Tunes, Notmad Explorer. It is $25, but it is worth it. Works almost like an external HDD.

The I-Pod and ZEN/NJB3 are different, and you need to figure out which one you like better If you know someone that has either one, ask them if you can play with it for a while. Or ask about the return policy at your local Best Buy or Circuit City. I did have an I-Pod (10GB, run on windows), and I liked it. I did switch to the NJB3, simply because it had recording features, which I use alot. Which ever one you get, you will be happy.

·
Registered
56 Posts
No there are no current headunits with Firewire in, unfortunately. I bought the original 5gig iPod the day is came out and have been looking for one ever since. No dice.

IF and WHEN they do come out with one you could just imagine: You plud it into your headunit via Firewire and it shows you the song and artist, time..all that crap on the unit's display. Because it is Firewire you would also be able to control it with the remote! How awesome is that!? iPods account for 25% of all mps player sales. It is only a matter of time before a comaptible headunit is out.

In other news, if you have a Mac do NOT EVEN THINK OF GETTING ANYTHING OTHER THAN AN iPOD! I also have several friends who are PC guys and they love their iPods.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Well I just bought my 30 gig iPod, and I love it... my bank account didn't like it so much, but hey it's a birthday present to myself, so I guess I can splurge :p

Now to hope someone makes a CD-changer to iPod converter. not just line-in. I want full CD-changer controls. I could go for a firewire deck as well but I think the CD-changer converter would be more plausible for someone to produce. Now why doesn't anyone do this?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts