IW STi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried to import an STi from the US? I looked it over and it is admissible, but I'm not sure if they have daytime running lights. STi's are really cheap compared to the ones in Canada, has anyone know if it is possible?

·
Premium Member
2,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, this is what I need basically for the vehicle to be legal, do all US models come with this?

-The vehicle must bear a manufacturer's valid U.S. statement of compliance label at the time of importation.
-Daytime running lights
-Infant restraint kit
-Child tether anchorage
-French supplementary restraint system label for airbags that require periodic maintenance​

·
Premium Member
2,372 Posts
Will sell you my 05!!

jutes85 said:
Has anyone tried to import an STi from the US? I looked it over and it is admissible, but I'm not sure if they have daytime running lights. STi's are really cheap compared to the ones in Canada, has anyone know if it is possible?
Yo Dude,

I imported two STI's in the past couple of months! I first did a 05 and then an 06!

Only modification that has to be done on the 05 was DRL! ($150)

I'm selling the 05 if you are interested in buying it!!?? Its black and has about 10,000 miles on it!! I will sell it to you for less than my cost as I just purchased a new house and need to sell it soon! I just put brand new tires on it as well! ($800)

I'm willing to let it go for $36,000.

Anyways, here's the break down on the costs associated with brining it into Canada if you want to do it your self!

6.1% Duty
6% GST
7% PST (For me in BC)
$209 Federal Inspection
$80 Provincial Inspection

Don't forget to include the costs of getting down there (airline ticket, Gas, hotel) as that stuff can add up pretty quickly!!

If you are going to ship the car instead its about $1,200 - $1,800

Anyways here is my cost breakdown on my 05 STI that I'm selling... to give you an idea!

Purchase Price: $26,500.00US<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
Canadian Price: $30,000.00CAN<o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
Plus GST (at the time it was 7%) $2,100.00<o:p></o:p>
Plus PST in BC (7%) $2,100.00<o:p></o:p>
Plus Duty (6.1%) $1,830.00<o:p></o:p>
Plus Airplane Ticket $350.00<o:p></o:p>
Plus Federal Inspection $208.00<o:p></o:p>
Plus Provincial Inspection $85.00<o:p></o:p>
Plus Daytime Running Lights $150.00<o:p></o:p>
Plus Gas Driving it back $150.00<o:p></o:p>
Plus New Tires $800.00<o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
So my total NET Cost in Canadian is $37,773.00

I was going to keep it and totally Mod it out, but can't afford it now with the purchase of my new house!! (Bigger Mortgage.... sucks!!)

So make sure you really do your homework because you need to compare apples to apples (Total Net Costs) once you get it into Canada as it does cost quite a bit to import it in after all the taxes and duty... plust what your time is worth!

Anyways let me know if you are interested in buying mine, or need more info if you do plan on importing one!

But basically I can sell you mine for about the same price as its going to cost you to bring one in yourself and don't have to do any work!!

Hope that helps!

Jay

·
Premium Member
2,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So after you imported the 05 NEW from the states, it was 37k? That is not that bad since a new one right now would be 50k and that is a **** load saved. It is not that hard to find a good low-mileage STi from the states. BTW, is warrenty covered for a vehicle from the states?

Can you tell me more, like what I have to do in regards to picking it up, what to bring etc? I looked at the RIV site, but I'd like to hear from someone who imported an 06 recently.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,372 Posts
jutes85 said:
So after you imported the 05 NEW from the states, it was 37k? That is not that bad since a new one right now would be 50k and that is a **** load saved. It is not that hard to find a good low-mileage STi from the states. BTW, is warrenty covered for a vehicle from the states?

Can you tell me more, like what I have to do in regards to picking it up, what to bring etc? I looked at the RIV site, but I'd like to hear from someone who imported an 06 recently.

Thanks.
I purchased both of them used! The 06 had 3,500 miles on it!! I purchased it from a dealership down in Edmunds, WA!

I tried to find one that was close to the boarder so the drive wasn't as long!! Kelown is only about 5 hours away from Seattle so its a pretty quick trip if you want it to be.

However, both boarder crossings were totally different. I first went through Oraville and then up through Penticton which as fine, did it on a Saturday.

The second time I went through Abbotsford (on a Saturday) and they almost didn't let me trough because the US side only exports cars Monday through Friday 8-4!! What a load of SH%%T that was!! One of the largest boarder crossings in westeren Canada and they don't export cars on weekends??

Anyways long story sort, I got through on the Saturday because one of the two people who do it happened to be there!

Did I forget to mention that the dealership forgot to give me the title to the car so I had to drive like a bat our of hell back as a guy from the dealership was driving towards me... We met at an exit on the main highway and he gave it to me! Crazy...

Anyways I would recommend that you buy from a dealership as well! I did it both ways, and got lucky as the private purchase was good! But I have heard some pretty bad stories...

As for the inspections, its a load of crap! The federal inspection is over 200 bucks and all they do is look at the VIN, check to make sure its got the right child seat restraints, and that it as DRL! For about 5 mins of work they sure charge a lot!! I wish I could make $200 every 5 min!!!

**** You have to make sure that you call SOA and get a Recall Clearance Letter on your car. They can e-mail it to you. You will need that to get the inspections.

**** You also have to get a copy of the TITLE and fax it down to the boarder crossing that you plan on going through at least 72 hours prior to going through! AND THEY WON'T BUDGE ON THAT!!! TRUST ME!!!

You also can't go through a different boarder crossing other than the one you faxed it to... All they do is stamp your original title too... its really a load of crap!!! Like they can't do that anywhere or at any time???

The forms are kind of a PITA when going through Canadian Tire... Just make sure you call and get your Form 1 faxed to you ASAP as it could take up to 2 weeks in the mail and you can't get your Federal Inspection without the Form 1 (Call RIV)

The catch is you can't get insruance if you don't have all the inspections done on it!! The process is really Fuc**ed up!!

Temp insurance is $100 for 10 days so you have to make sure that you can get everything done within that time period. You do have to bend the rules a bit as that temp insurance is really only supposed to be good from point A to point B, not CDEFGHIJ, or all the places you have to drive around to just to get the inspections, or go to work....

Like I said, the process is messed and doesn't make much sense....

Anyways, it is quite a proces and one that I probably won't do for a while!! It wasn't as easy the second time as well (i thought it would be)...

Good luck if you do decide to do it... I researched like a mo-fo for a long time and thought I had it all down, but there were still a lot of things I missed and got lucky on!

The main thing I would say is to make sure you have the boarder stuff figured out as thats the main thing! You have to stop in on the US side first and get the title stamped then go through the Can side!

If you mess up there(don't have all the right doc's, forms, bla bla bla, they CAN and WILL not let you cross the boarder! Then you are SOL until you get it right!!

Hope i haven't scared you..... hahaha... I know I have left out a lot of other details that I can't remember at the moment....

As for the warranty, I called both SOA and SOCan and they both said that there has never been any issues with no warranty! Although the dealership here in Kelowna tried to tell me that there wasn't warranty and that I would have to buy extra warranty for $1,500!! I just laughed at them and said "Ya right"!!!

I have taken it in to get looked at and they have never said anything!! Because they can't!!

Just think of it this way! Lets say you moved here from the US, are they going to Void your warranty?? I don't think so... Or what if you were traveling in Canada for a couple of months and the car breaks down, are they going to say sorry?? If they did, I would say "where's my lawyer" pretty quick!!!:busted:

Good luck!!

Remember, I'm selling my 05 if you are interested!

Jay

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
ok, wayyyy too many "!!!!" and "......"

Anyways, I bought a slighly used 05 STi from the states. The ONLY modification that was required was the DRL module. 06 models already have DRL's in the states.

Depending on where you are (I'm in Ontario), you only need Daytime running lights to pass inspection - you don't have to have them on the road (ie: you will never get pulled over for not having them) Its a weird technicality - you may get past inspection without DRL's if you come in with the headlights on. They are automatic lights that shut off with the car. While my car has the DRL module installed, my friends US Boxster S doesn't have DRL's, but he showed up to the garage with his headlights on, and the tech says "well, I guess the DRL's work". Try it, and see how that goes.

The warranty is fully transferable between USA and Canada. Just make sure you call Subaru of America and give them your information. That way you'll receive all the recall/technical service bulletins in the mail. The car already has all of the legal child restraint systems.

If you're getting an 05, there are a few subtle differences between the US and Canadian model:

USA - HID headlights with leveling system, ebrake light says "BRAKE"
Canada - normal halogen headlights, rear seat pass thru, heated seats, ebrake light says (!)

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
The only problem right now is that the 07's are STILL not on the RIV accepted list.
I was told that the 07's would be admissable once they hit Canadian showrooms... well, that date has come and gone. I'm sure that this delay was done on purpose to offset the loss of sales in Canada to lower priced US Subarus.

·
Premium Member
2,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the replies guys, this really helps me out. :)

Also, would it be possible to just purchase a car and have it shipped to the border so I can pick it up there?

·
Premium Member
2,372 Posts
Sure, buts its probaby going to cost you just as much to have it shipped right to your door! Plus, then they do all the work (forms)

If you are not going to do it ALL yourself, you might as well pay somone else to do it ALL!!

OILERS 2007 STANLY CUP CHAMPS!!!!

·
Premium Member
2,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
jaydow11 said:
Sure, buts its probaby going to cost you just as much to have it shipped right to your door! Plus, then they do all the work (forms)

If you are not going to do it ALL yourself, you might as well pay somone else to do it ALL!!

OILERS 2007 STANLY CUP CHAMPS!!!!
I'm originally from Kamloops, so its more like CANUCKS 2007 WESTERN CONFERENCE CHAMPOINS, they won't win cup. lol

Ok, who do I contact about doing this, I mean having someone import it for me?

·
Premium Member
2,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
From my research, this is what I found:

1. Call registrar of imported vehicles 1 888 848 8240 – they will ask you for model and year of car and tell you if it's admissible. If it is, call US customs...
2. Call Blaine Customs @ 360 332 5771. US customs needs the title document, 3 days before, and need to do a search of vehicle.
3. They might mail/fax you forms
4. You will need recall/clearance letter from dealership or manufacturer
5. $207 paid at the border for registration fee
6. Need original document and bill of sale
7. 100 fee + tax on air condition(?)
8. 6% gst Canadian value
9. duty rate of 6.1%, for the importation

Look good?

·
Registered
5,637 Posts
Hi jacking the thread, Buffalo Sabres 2007 STANLEY CUP WINNERS! Hahah, but good luck with a purchase. Ive been to canada many times to play hockey games and havent seen 1 STi.

·
Premium Member
2,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quick question,

It says that the vehicle must be made in the US for it to be imported into Canada. Isn't the 06 STi's made in Japan and have a "J" as their first letter on the VIN number, so how did you get around this?

·
Registered
80 Posts
FYI the RIV list was updated and the 2007s were added

·
Registered
46 Posts
I saved 12k....

·
Registered
19 Posts
my 05 is an imported car... I bought it in calgary and have had no problems, and local dealer is great and full warranty applies. I would try to but locally as the prices here have dropped a lot!! It seems irresistable to buy one accross the line but there are a lot of hidden costs. You have to buy it over the phone or internet, travel and drive it back, duty, GST, PST, inspections, mods to daytime running lights, and import fee and customs brokerage. Also, your resale may be a bit less if you go to sell. In kelowna, I have thought about selling my 05 with 16,xxx miles for about $36 cdn (mint) and a buddy of mine has an 06 for about $39 cdn as well. Whatever you decide be careful, but it can be done!!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts