IW STi Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Drive True
6,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up the Sept issue of Import Tuner and there's an article on the STi: "Four Days of STimulation"

They test the STi, and here's a couple of snippets (btw, there were a number of typos that I corrected in this retyping. Shame on you Import Tuner!):

DAY 1
"We [Eric Hsu of XS Engineering in an EVO and the article author in an STi] found a remote straight away to do a quick street race...Eric got me out of the hole but for the record, I bogged pretty hare...I was able to pull away from the Evo like no tomorrow. In other words, I saw him in two mirrors." :D

Then, the infamous pinging problem: "I don't know if the car we got was programmed wrong, or if it's California's shitty gas, but at 4000 rpm, the engine pinged really bad and then the sound disappeared." :oops: :evil:

Later that day they bolted on an RSR downpipe and exhaust for a quick pull on the dyno (stock numbers on their dyno were 249.5 hp and 285 lbs-ft torque) and they got 256.0 hp and 292.1 torque: "...this peak gain seemed minimal, but on the other hand we were able to make 15 to 25 horsepower from 5700 to 6500 rpm"

DAY 2
Author goes down to San Diego where he does some 1/8 mile races. He was nervous about dumping the clutch so he rode the clutch out but still won. THe first victims were a couple of civics (yawn) and a late-model Firebird. One of the Civics he raced he turned the DCCD on LOCK: "The car went extremely sideways but won: .567 light 8.85 at 77.8 to a 10.69 at 65.5. The clutch still doesn't smell good." :lol:

Against a late model mustang he turned the DCCD back to AUTO and won: "This time I said screw riding the clutch, I'm dumping it out of the hole!"

Against a Camaro: "...tried the DCCD to most of the power in the rear. That didn't work too well but I still won..."

He races another Mustang, and a Neon...beats them as well. Finally he is defeated by another late-model Firebird. The author wanted another go at it but this guy left...and in his next race he ran an 8.50 at 80 mph, which would've beat that Firebird. Guess the Firebird owner didn't want to push his luck ;)

DAY 3
Autocross. SCCA San Diego region put the author in the AS class, against Vettes and Vipers. His first lap was 86.31...a C6 vette had the best time 79.44. 2nd lap, 84.12. Then: "On my final qualifying lap I decided to play with the DCCD again...Bingo!...I crossed the traps at an 81.11.

In the afternoon, more drag racing. Times are faster. 8.5 1/8 mile times, and 13.4 1/4 mile times.

DAY 4
"...I tested it on the road but this time we were putting the car in the dirt to see what it was designed for" :D

They found that DCCD on AUTO was best for this case.

End Result
Pros: The DCCD comes in handy for the different types of terrain you encounter but sometimes it's best left untouched. The low end torque pretty much demolishes turbo lag and top end power feels as if the RPM needs to be taken higher. Now the six speed, Holy Shit... I never thought that an AWD tranny could take so much abuse! From AWD burnouts to getting slideways around an apex, this tranny is bad ass! The rumors are definitely true.
Cons: I don't like how the car uses side-feed injectors now and the drive-by-wire system. Call me old school but that's technology I don't want to deal with just yet. I wish the car came with a better clutch too. Subaru has to understand that most people who buy this care are gonna abuse it, so they should beef it up from the start.

·
Drive True
6,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ooh. I missed that. I dunno if it was my typo or theirs...I don't have the issue in front of me to verify...

·
retired mod
4,012 Posts
it said C6 in the article, i noticed it when reading the mag.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Yeah, I was wondering about the C6 vette... I think its a typo.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts