IW STi Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I find my STi seats unsupportive and I often brace myself (6', 190 lb.) by stepping on the dead pedal. The side bolstering is too soft and there is little lumbar support. :eek:
I have previously owned 3 Porsche 911's and a Fiat Coupe and very recently drove a BMW M3 and all their seats were much more supportive!
Is there a way to modify the seat somehow rather the replacing it?
I am also thinking about the JDM or Canadian seats, which are probably smaller than the XXL USDM size, but that could be expensive, considering the shipping cost.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Ding fries are done!

This one's been beat to death. Look at the sticky at the top of this forum for a cheap fix. Otherwise, do a search on the forum. There's no real answer. Keep 'em or buy a new seat.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Dude that sucks!

I'm about 5'10" and ~180 lbs., and I have the same problem.

Myself, I like the JDM STi seats as a fix, SAMMYBOY. They feel much better. I also have a Sparco Torino in my 2.5RS and I absolutely love the thing, except for the lack of lumbar support. The Sparco lumbar bag is the fix for that, though.

If you'd rather customize your seat, go for it. If you'd rather a manufactured solution, you're looking at a new seat. They're pricey, but IMHO the money is well worth it, given the amount of time you spend using the seat...!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the tips ZenBoy, I'm going to take a closer look at your suggestions.
It would be awsome if I can have the seat custom molded to my dimensions a la Ferrari seats. Wishful thinking!

·
Registered
694 Posts
SAMMYBOY said:
Thanks for the tips ZenBoy, I'm going to take a closer look at your suggestions.
It would be awsome if I can have the seat custom molded to my dimensions a la Ferrari seats. Wishful thinking!
One quick thing on that note ... my Sparco has a type of "memory foam" in it which, after many hours of use, will mold itself quite nicely to your shape. Probably one of the reasons why my friends hate sitting in the thing - it's shaped for me, now.

The JDM STi seats are in the same price range as the Sparco model that I got, and of course they match the STi interior. There are enough of them to be had that it's worth looking at - in fact, there were some for sale on NASIOC not too long ago in the Private Classifieds. Gruppe-S.com also has some.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yeah, I used to have to brace me right knee on the door when going around tight turns (on ramp onto the highway every morning)

I am 6 feet tall, 180 pounds. Seats did not fit me well. My G/F jetta has WAY better seats than the stock STI seats.

I sold my stock seats, and bought Recaros. It cost me about 200 or so bucks out of my pocket (after selling the stock seats).

Best 200 bucks I have ever spent. The Recaros completly transform the car. I feel like I have alot more control over the car (probably because I am not bracing myself on the door anymore)

The only down side to the aftermarket seats or even the JDM seats is the lack of the side airbags.

I have some 3.3 ohm resistors left if anyone needs some.

Check out this thread:
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=465448

Later
JayB

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm 6'-1" 225 lbs. The STi seats are awesome. Maybe they are made for for my fat azz. I think they are very supportive if not minorly intrusive. I am surprised there are complaints.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm 6'-1" 225 lbs. The STi seats are awesome. Maybe they are made for for my fat azz. I think they are very supportive if not minorly intrusive. I am surprised there are complaints.

·
Registered
61 Posts
When I receive my STi, I plan to remove the seats and sell them. Sparco is the way to taylor the proper fit. If it's good enough for the WRC, it's good enough for me.

8)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts