IW STi Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm at 2,850 miles on my 2006 STI, I believe i'm supposed to get the car serviced at 3,000 miles but the my.subaru.com site says I don't need anything done until 3,750.

What service do I need done? Just an oil change?

I haven't received any coupon books or anything from my dealer.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Insane06STi said:
Just an oil change, make the switch to full Synth.
Thanks.

I keep hearing people say switch to synthetic, but what are the advantages of doing so rather than just sticking with conventional oil 5W30 oil like Subaru recommends?

·
Premium Member
8,137 Posts
Jag32 said:
Thanks.

I keep hearing people say switch to synthetic, but what are the advantages of doing so rather than just sticking with conventional oil 5W30 oil like Subaru recommends?
subaru does not recommends using reg oil

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
reeksti said:
subaru does not recommends using reg oil
Oh.

I plan on bringing my STI to the dealer for the oil change, so I guess they'll just put in synthetic oil then and I won't even have to ask?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Save yourself some money and do it yourself its suuuuuper easy since the oil filter is right behind the front bumper in fact unless your super fat you can change the oil without jacking the car up. Not to mention you can choose what oil you want to use but seriously if u change oil like every 2500 miles regular oil is fine. I didn't change to synthetic till 8000 miles now I use the Catrol syntec European blend 0w30.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Jag,
the do your own oil change question is a matter of personal preference. Droopy likes to do them himself. I don't. I turned wrenches for years on cars. Without the use of an overhead lift, I don't bother changing my own oil anymore. My subaru dealer charges me $25 to do an oil change and it takes 40 minutes.

Last time I was in, the tech reminded me that my pads were getting low, found/patched 2 (!!) nail holes in one tire (I'm renovating my house), and noticed that my rear diff was seeping.

I'll be doing the pads myself. You see, I'm not against diy maintenance. I'd just rather do the stuff that saves me some real money. Like brakes. Aftermarket pads for front and rear are $130 for street only pads. (Axxis Ultimate) The dealer was getting $350 for just the rears with brembo pads.

The dealer will be replacing the diff seals next week under warranty, and I had been ignoring a very slow leak in that tire for a week or so, no time. So the way I see it, it is worth paying a few bucks to have another set of eyes look at the car.

This all assumes that you have a Tech at a dealer you trust. I am very happy with Secor Subaru in New London CT. I'm actually hesitant to name the Technician by name because I don't want everyone to ask for him, but his name is Rod. Great guy.

another thing re doing it yourself, it is much more difficult to do a good undercar inspection if your car is just up on a set of Rhino ramps. He would not have found the low rear brake pad problem if the car was just up on ramps.

Don

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
Oil change time is when I bond with my car :lol:. Okay, just kidding.

Or maybe not...

I do sometimes pat it on the fender when I walk by it in the garage. It is my baby. And nobody but me and PDXTuning gets to see the private parts of my car... :D

Okay, time for bed, I'm feeling a bit psychotic...

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
yeah, like others have said, its all a matter of preference, I love changing my oil, its great! just make sure you keep all your receipts! FUMOTO VALVE FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
473 Posts
I work at a dealership and even as an employee my oil change is $21.00 plus the oem Subaru filter that we put on. Just like Donmei, I only do the stuff that actually saves money for example: Installing my RCE springs. I then paid the tech at my work $40.00 to do the alignment after hours;)

I just don't see any savings with a DIY oil change with the time investment of the service itself and then taking the used oil back for recycling:notsure:

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
donmei said:
Jag,
the do your own oil change question is a matter of personal preference. Droopy likes to do them himself. I don't. I turned wrenches for years on cars. Without the use of an overhead lift, I don't bother changing my own oil anymore. My subaru dealer charges me $25 to do an oil change and it takes 40 minutes.

Last time I was in, the tech reminded me that my pads were getting low, found/patched 2 (!!) nail holes in one tire (I'm renovating my house), and noticed that my rear diff was seeping.

I'll be doing the pads myself. You see, I'm not against diy maintenance. I'd just rather do the stuff that saves me some real money. Like brakes. Aftermarket pads for front and rear are $130 for street only pads. (Axxis Ultimate) The dealer was getting $350 for just the rears with brembo pads.

The dealer will be replacing the diff seals next week under warranty, and I had been ignoring a very slow leak in that tire for a week or so, no time. So the way I see it, it is worth paying a few bucks to have another set of eyes look at the car.

This all assumes that you have a Tech at a dealer you trust. I am very happy with Secor Subaru in New London CT. I'm actually hesitant to name the Technician by name because I don't want everyone to ask for him, but his name is Rod. Great guy.

another thing re doing it yourself, it is much more difficult to do a good undercar inspection if your car is just up on a set of Rhino ramps. He would not have found the low rear brake pad problem if the car was just up on ramps.

Don
arn't the brembo pads covered under warrenty....my deal said they are but they have to get down to 10%....

·
Premium Member
8,137 Posts
droopy172 said:
I doubt pads are covered since it is a wear and tear item maybe the caliper itself is covered but definently not the pads.
the first pair of pads are covered under warrenty

1 - 14 of 14 Posts