IW STi Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
My bet is that IHI's modified VF49 will be priced similarly to the VF48 and receive an upgraded billet compressor wheel, but retain the journal bearing CHRA and standard 11 blade turbine wheel.

Whereas the pricier Tomei receives an upgraded compressor wheel, ball bearing CHRA and 9 blade turbine wheel similar to your VF56 and the VF58.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Another option for the modified VF turbos...

I really don't know why more people aren't doing these... if their results are as good as they are showing to be and their reliability/durability is as good as stock these are pretty awesome options for stock location turbos.

·
Registered
390 Posts
SoCal Porting is very popular with the FA20 crowd. Everyone has great things to say about them.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I am not sure I understand SoCal pricing, are those prices require core-exchange ? or are they the price of the turbo outright ?....stg 3 starts at $600 looks cheap
Their stage 3 upgrade is more or less like the VF20G TPC in Canada is offering
The color graph for their stage 2 upgrade is showing much later spool and I am not sure I will like that....

·
Registered
390 Posts
SoCal Porting requires sending in your core for the work to be performed on.

Keep in mind that we have crappy ACN 91 "knocktane" fuel in California :)

·
Registered
374 Posts
I am not sure I understand SoCal pricing, are those prices require core-exchange ? or are they the price of the turbo outright ?....stg 3 starts at $600 looks cheap
Their stage 3 upgrade is more or less like the VF20G TPC in Canada is offering
The color graph for their stage 2 upgrade is showing much later spool and I am not sure I will like that....
Did you ever do your upgrade yet?

SoCal Porting requires sending in your core for the work to be performed on.

Keep in mind that we have crappy ACN 91 "knocktane" fuel in California :)
That's my 06 that you reference above, just want to point out that it has a tial vband housing, not a stock location one, not sure if you pointed that out. I'm not sure I'd want to run a stock location turbine housing or compressor housing as that's already a pretty small turbo and I really did alot of small things to ensure I made great use of it and had excellent engine response. Lowbee, above, has been for a ride with me and can attest to how it feels, there is no hybrid style turbo that will be as responsive or make higher rpm power as mine does, they might make more power in some instances but wont be faster ;)

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
122 Posts
Did you ever do your upgrade yet? .....
No, not yet but it's still in the plan. Will be doing either fuel system (pump, regulator, injectors) or suspension upgrade this year, new turbo will be the year after I upgraded the fuel system....

.....The appealing thing about the VF20G for us Californians is that it utilizes the OEM compressor housing which can help you fly under the radar come smog/CARB inspection time.
So you decide on which one to get yet ?

·
Registered
390 Posts
So you decide on which one to get yet ?
I did. And neither :)

I ended up getting this rare gem delivered today.. after searching for over a year. The VF58.. the "holy grail" of Subaru IHI turbos. Thanks to dlheman for the inspiration.

Twin scroll, ball bearing, titanium aluminide (TiAl) 9 blade turbine wheel & shaft.. I plan to send it to Giorgio Provinciali @ ASEL for reconditioning with upgraded dual ceramic ball bearings & possibly a billet compressor wheel.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I recently recommended the IHI VF48HF to a friend and they had their setup tuned yesterday. It's a perfect street turbo for a daily driver. Lightning fast response and capable of 400+ whp with a nice broad torque curve. It's an excellent bang-for-the-buck at ~$1,000 USD. And OEM reliability.

2018 STI Type RA (032/500)
Fuel: E80
Turbo: VF48HF modified by IHI Performance (18.5 PSI)
402 whp & 408 lb-ft

Mod list:
IHI VF48 high flow turbo
Killer B Holy Header + EWG up-pipe + Tial EWG 38mm
Invidia catless downpipe + Tomei expreme Titanium cat back exhaust
HKS Race suction intake + custom heat shield + Cobb turbo inlet
COBB AP
Perrin EBCS
COBB 1300x Injectors
COBB Fuel Pressure Regulator
COBB Fuel Rails
COBB Fuel Rail Line Kit
COBB flex fuel + sensor kit
AEM High Flow Fuel Pump 340
IAG TGV delete 3mm spacer
IAG competition AOS
COBB Turbo Heat-shield
COBB Turbo blanket
Killer B oil pan + baffle windage tray + pickup
HKS oil cooler
CSF 2 radiator + Mishimoto radiator hoses
NGK 1 step colder iridium spark plugs

I'd say this is pretty close to a budget alternative for the ball bearing ATP Garrett GTX2867R Gen2. Should have similar response with a bit less peak power. I'd choose either of these over a Cobb 20G.

Reactions: dlheman

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for sharing!

It would be interesting to see the benefits on a completely stock or pro-tuned car (with no other modifications).

I know that IHI indicates this can be installed on completely stock STI's without tuning. I'm wondering how true that is.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Thanks for sharing!

It would be interesting to see the benefits on a completely stock or pro-tuned car (with no other modifications).

I know that IHI indicates this can be installed on completely stock STI's without tuning. I'm wondering how true that is.
This should make another ~20-30 whp on a stock-ish/stage 1 setup compared to the standard VF48. Should be comparable to the S209's peak power figures, but with less lag. You'll probably pushing the limits of the stock injectors at that point.

·
Registered
390 Posts
408 whp eh?

So how much more power is it compared to standard VF48?
I'd estimate ~40 whp +/-. A similar setup made ~365 whp on that dyno with the standard VF48.

Reactions: dlheman
21 - 40 of 41 Posts