IW STi Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello ladies and gentlemen,

i've recently, after much, much, much deliberation and research, purchased an ihi vf 22, should be here by monday, tuesday at the latest.

any head's up's that anyone has during a turbo install would be greatly appreciated.

there's a small child next-door and i wouldn't want to permanently scar them with any obscene language. :oops:

i know a few people over on nasioc have a few threads about the 22, but none regarding the quirks that pop-up during install.

the tmic was already off during a boost gauge install, and i figured out all the tricks with that.

i'm also looking for any engine related complications. boost cut, creep, excessive egt's, detonation. the lack of problems is one of the reasons the 22 was the choice, but there may be someone who just reads these threads, but doesn't post, with a less than positive experience.

there are no mods on the car, and 94 octane is used, no exceptions.

i am well aware the turbo will not spool as early, but during the boost gauge install, i replaced the vacuum hose from the manifold to the by-pass valve with a slightly larger diameter silicon hose i had lying around, and the damn thing is spooled @ 2800 now (2600 on cold days).

i haven't researched why... i just know it works so i'm not going to post anything about hose diameter/length just yet. i just hope it works with the 22.

i’m more than willing to take pictures, let me know what pics/angles would be most useful.

thanks in advance for any information
8)

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
the ihi 22 isnt a very good turbo...still has boost creep problems (even on a WRX) and is even more ancient technology then the VF39... sorry bud, shoulda waited for a garrett kit or something...

Robert~

·
retired mod
4,012 Posts
Yeah the VF 22 was the stock item on my version 5... big lag and like all VF series turbos arnt meant to be pushed much more then 350-370hp... Maybe you could sell it to a wrx owner and wait for the garretts?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Let me know what you guy's think

uhh ohh... perhaps i should have done even more research.

the 22 is older, but regardless, it is capable of higher CFM rates right?

i should have posted my goals first (even though it may not change the responses)

the car doesn’t seem to pull very hard over 6000 rpm, it actually feels like things start to slow down after 5500 rpm or so. what i mean is that the car doesn't seem like it's pulling as hard like when boost first came on, it’s not even near it. from what i've read, most turbos will die off like that, but i don't like how the vf 39's is so pronounced. my girl’s tsi has a tiny little turbo, but it still pulls decently until redline.

i had my list of things i wanted to do before i took delivery, they were engine management, replace the cats with high-flow, an mbc (or ebc), maybe better up/down pipe. nothing too crazy. i wanted to keep it as stock as possible. a new turbo wasn't even in the running and i didn’t budget for it, but the way the 39 stops pulling is a little more than bothersome. i'm not looking for a 500+hp monster machine, just an sti that pulls all the way to redline.

i don’t drag, or auto X, and i certainly don’t street race, so the turbo isn’t for competitive reasons. the car is more for the pure exhilarating joy of driving it.

if the 22 won’t accomplish what i’m looking for then i’ll kick myself, sell it, and live with the 39. i was hoping this was a quick, easy, and relatively cheep fix to the 39’s inability to pull in the higher rpm’s.

i’d like to thank you all for taking the time to fill me in. if you wouldn’t mind looking over what i’m trying to accomplish and comment (not so much on what, but how :) ), it would be greatly appreciated.

thanks again
8)

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
it sounds like all of your issues can be solved with engine and fuel management. that is what most everyone is waiting on. dan from godspeed is doing a good job of it so far. most everyone(vendors)are coming out with new systems in the spring. i.e. aps,aem,turboxs,vishnu,cobb tunung,vivid racing,godspeed,prodrive etc. with all the other stuff you are doing this would help accomplish your goals much better than the vf22. most people are maxing the 39 out from 370-400, and with proper tuning you will get the pull till redline effect you want. my 2 cents

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thermobox said:
it sounds like all of your issues can be solved with engine and fuel management. that is what most everyone is waiting on. dan from godspeed is doing a good job of it so far. most everyone(vendors)are coming out with new systems in the spring. i.e. aps,aem,turboxs,vishnu,cobb tunung,vivid racing,godspeed,prodrive etc. with all the other stuff you are doing this would help accomplish your goals much better than the vf22. most people are maxing the 39 out from 370-400, and with proper tuning you will get the pull till redline effect you want. my 2 cents
perfect! and all on the stock turbo! as they say... patience is a virtue, i should have waited a little longer.

thanks for your input

·
Chuck taught me everything I know
504 Posts
Keep the 39 and get a deadbolt port and polish.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts