IW STi Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, i have a 1995 subaru impreza 2.2l turbo. Its had this reoccurring issue for a little over a year. The ignition controle module. I got the car with the no spark no start issue. And been through the entirety of the ignition system. Replaced it all and had no luck untill the module. It started and ran. Smoked like hell (bad old gas) and wouldnt idle by itself. It ran long enough to warm up and be ready to go. Everything was fine. Shut it off to get gas for it. Help flush the bad out. And when i get back. It would crank and crank with the same no spark no start issue once again. Im getting a new module tomorrow to see if it will run again. But what should i look into to keep from having to get more and more modules and get it to run and idle by itself??

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hi, i have a 1995 subaru impreza 2.2l turbo. Its had this reoccurring issue for a little over a year. The ignition controle module. I got the car with the no spark no start issue. And been through the entirety of the ignition system. Replaced it all and had no luck untill the module. It started and ran. Smoked like hell (bad old gas) and wouldnt idle by itself. It ran long enough to warm up and be ready to go. Everything was fine. Shut it off to get gas for it. Help flush the bad out. And when i get back. It would crank and crank with the same no spark no start issue once again. Im getting a new module tomorrow to see if it will run again. But what should i look into to keep from having to get more and more modules and get it to run and idle by itself??

Got the new module and once again. Started wouldnt idle and smoked like hell. And ran rough. Almost to the point i couldnt move it and it shows no sign of clearing up. Any ideas??

·
Premium Member
5,291 Posts
Bad cyl or valve? Could be easy stuff. Start with the basics, but burning oil isn?t good. Hopefully its actually fuel.

·
Registered
532 Posts
My buddy had an older legacy and was chasing the same gremlin, intermittently starting etc, after replacing everything decided to check fuel and in the process of troubleshooting his fuel pump went out,

Have you tested for spark on all wires?

Fuel pump is just an idea but worth double checking...

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bad cyl or valve? Could be easy stuff. Start with the basics, but burning oil isn?t good. Hopefully its actually fuel.
I dont believe its burning any oil. Theres a little black in the oil but nothing major. Im gonna double check the timing first see if that helps. Could be off a tooth and run rough, when i get off work ill definatly look into the fuel system. Could be a stuck injector also. Thanks for the tip ill be sure to let you know how it goes

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My buddy had an older legacy and was chasing the same gremlin, intermittently starting etc, after replacing everything decided to check fuel and in the process of troubleshooting his fuel pump went out,

Have you tested for spark on all wires?

Fuel pump is just an idea but worth double checking...
I'll definatly check into that also, i did recently change plugs and they where black on 2 cylinders. I believe 1 and 3 where. And the other 2 where normal. But as far as what its burning upon running its more white smoke and leaves a black trail where it was sitting. Probably dumping more gas than its using. Cause the gas gage goes down pretty fast

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay cool. Was just wondering and I hate to say the obvious things in threads.
Its all good. It has me stumped, nearly everythings been replaced in it motor and electronic wise. But im thinking the bigger issue is the fuel. I can replace the module and it starts and runs but I found there's a apex-i safc on it. That was burred behind the radio and all that and i have no idea how that thing works or why its there

·
Premium Member
5,291 Posts
Its all good. It has me stumped, nearly everythings been replaced in it motor and electronic wise. But im thinking the bigger issue is the fuel. I can replace the module and it starts and runs but I found there's a apex-i safc on it. That was burred behind the radio and all that and i have no idea how that thing works or why its there
Sounds as if you found something you need to learn, or at least learn enough to remove.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sounds as if you found something you need to learn, or at least learn enough to remove.
Learned it, fairly simple. It taps into the ecu's maf, map and uses its ground and power. It has been removed. But still same issue. Ran a little better i must admit. But it burnt out another igniter...

·
Premium Member
5,291 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts