IW STi Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would you get? I'm looking for studded tires for the stock wheels, but can't seem to find much? I'm not looking for the best of the best, just something decent. I'm an avid snowboarder and Mt Hood requires studded tires or chains. Since chains are out of the question because of clearance, I need some studs. Last year I only got to drive my STi in the snow once and that was when it snowed on the valley floor. We had to take my girlfriends Scion xA to the mountain to go snowboarding. I'd rather take my car on my Pirellis than hers with chains. The ticket is big too, I think it's like a couple hundred bucks each time you get caught. Around here, most people just buy studs and have them put on for the winter, even if 99% of their driving is in the rain, just because going to the mountain twice a week and changing your tires can get tedious. Plus, this way, I won't have to buy a set of wheels just for studs. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
3,078 Posts
Mt.Hood REQUIRES studs? Most places if you have snow tires, you are good to go. That said, the Pirelli Winter Carving are good I hear.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
I go to Mt. Hood regularly and you just need snow tires, NOT studs. Get a good set like lm-25's or nokkians and your set.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Really? I thought studs were required. Do Pirelli P-zero's count? Also, I need to find a way to get the backrest of the back seat out so I can fit a couple boards in the car. Whoever's idea it was to NOT give us a pass-through rear seat wasn't a smart man.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I know some may disagree, but Pirelli P-Zero's SUCK in the Oregon snow. I got rid of mine ASAP after a few trips in the snow. The snow near Hood, and over the Cascades is slipperier than any I have driven on. I have ContiExtremeContacts and always carry (but have never had to use) chains.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
bean said:
Really? I thought studs were required. Do Pirelli P-zero's count? Also, I need to find a way to get the backrest of the back seat out so I can fit a couple boards in the car. Whoever's idea it was to NOT give us a pass-through rear seat wasn't a smart man.
If you get actual snow tires, with the snowflake on the sidewall your set. I wouldn't recommend all-seasons if you go up very often.

As far as the rear seat, IIRC theres 3 bolts for the lower seat cushion. Take that out so you can get to the bolts holding the seatback in. You can take the seatback out and put the lower cusion back in and bolt it. Now you can put in and take out the seat back with ease. Thats what I do whenever I go up.

I just bought a new Rome board and am anxious for it to snow!! Already got my weekday plus pass for timberline!!!

·
Registered
68 Posts
LM 25's are fantastic in the snow. This is my second season on a set and I will buy no other brand when they need replacing.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Awesome! Thanks for the help everyone. Do you all use your stock wheels and just have the tires mounted twice a year?

CGMDan said:
If you get actual snow tires, with the snowflake on the sidewall your set. I wouldn't recommend all-seasons if you go up very often.

As far as the rear seat, IIRC theres 3 bolts for the lower seat cushion. Take that out so you can get to the bolts holding the seatback in. You can take the seatback out and put the lower cusion back in and bolt it. Now you can put in and take out the seat back with ease. Thats what I do whenever I go up.

I just bought a new Rome board and am anxious for it to snow!! Already got my weekday plus pass for timberline!!!
I just got my 3 buy 3 at meadows. I'm a timberline lover at heart, but meadows just has such a good deal going with full on season passes for 300 bucks. If there's half as much snow as last year I'll be a happy camper. And thanks for the help with the back seat. I'm hoping to find a way to fit 4 people in the car with the seat-back removed. Two of them just wouldn't have a seat back. They can deal with it. I don't think 4 boards would fit in there going up the middle though, especially with bindings on. Not to mention my Flows take up way more room. Any ideas on that? Aren't there roof-racks that you don't actually have to mount to the car? They just strap on or something?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh, and Meadows got a couple inches at the bottom of Vista. It's getting close. Real close.

·
Registered
896 Posts
bean said:
...Aren't there roof-racks that you don't actually have to mount to the car? They just strap on or something?
I have a Thule rack. It sits on the roof, but so far in 2 seasons hasn't left any kind of mark.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts