IW STi Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I'm sure this has been covered, I searched and couldn't find a definite answer. I'm wondering what the ideal placement is for the EGT probe on our STi's. Mine was installed thru the heatshield on the passenger side of the engine bay (with the probe wire coming up and thru the firewall) and a few friends (who are far more knowledgeable than I) say that it's far better to have it before the turbo, then I hear it should be in the manifold.....can someone help me out on this? I realize my terminology may be completely off, but would appreciate any help! Thx.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup. That's where mine is as well, although they drilled a hole approx. 1/8" in diameter around the probe, and put it thru the heatshield. Wonder why the different approaches to the same thing???

·
Registered
759 Posts
Anybody KNOW about PLANET AUDIO

Mine is in the down pipe as well. I think the ideal place would be in the manifold {3rd cylinder}. It really does not matter that much. You are establishing a baseline and as long as the temp stays in that area all should be golden.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I believe because of the side feed injectors, placing the EGT sensor under the 3rd cylinder is no longer necessary. I think the ideal position is somewhere on the header or uppipe. After the turbo is my last option.

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
all egt sensors need to be placed aprox 1 inch or less from the cylinder head in the manifold for the most accurate reading. there can be 200-500 degree difference in temp from manifold to turbo/dp. 200 deg. dosent seem like that much unless, at the dp you are getting say 925 deg. that would mean you could be just 25 deg. away from melting a piston or two.

temps are aproximate.

what the meaning of this is DO NOT USE EGT SENSOR IN THE DP AS A MEANS TO TUNE THE CAR TO THE LIMIT. some of you will want to reply that you would use an o2 sensor to tume by, well it is basically the same thing. it is just a different means of measurement.

just my 10 cents worth
ted

·
Registered
357 Posts
Yes either of the two rear cylinders less than 3 inches from the exhasust port is best.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I just installed my autometer EGT into the driver's side exhaust manifold. I drilled and tapped the casting dot on the bottom, it's about 3" from the head. I'll have pictures on my website soon. I get 1000F at idle, 1450 cruising at 75mph. I can't get it over 1500F at WOT up to 100mph.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts