IW STi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm looking into my options for dropping my car a tad. My 06 STI is my daily driver, and would like to start getting into auto x in the future. But basically I want to drop it to get rid of some of the nasty front wheel gap. I live in Winnipeg, MB, so winter's can get pretty rough, therefore I want to keep the drop fairly mild. So far I've been thinking JDM Pinks w/ group N top hats front and rear. I really like the drop the pinks give. Also considering the new racecomp springs also with group N's, but am a little scared it will be too low for winter. I've read really good things about prodrive's, but they hardly lower the car. Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated, as I want to do it properly first time around. Thanks!

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
Wick16 said:
So I'm looking into my options for dropping my car a tad. My 06 STI is my daily driver, and would like to start getting into auto x in the future. But basically I want to drop it to get rid of some of the nasty front wheel gap. I live in Winnipeg, MB, so winter's can get pretty rough, therefore I want to keep the drop fairly mild. So far I've been thinking JDM Pinks w/ group N top hats front and rear. I really like the drop the pinks give. Also considering the new racecomp springs also with group N's, but am a little scared it will be too low for winter. I've read really good things about prodrive's, but they hardly lower the car. Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated, as I want to do it properly first time around. Thanks!
Your on the right track with the springs your looking at. Pinks, Prodrives, and RCE springs are the three best available for STi's. RCE springs lower the front 4mm over the pinks and the rear is the same as the pinks. So its a very small amount. If you are going to auto-x your car or do any sort of track events, the RCE springs are superior because they are stiffer. RCE springs with group-n top hats would be a great choice for you.

Mike

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Myles for your help! I just pm'd you asking about whether camber plates are really necessary for my situation.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Are you sure the fronts are 4mm lower in the rear and not the front? Because an additional 4mm drop in the rear would mean there would be a larger front gap than the rear that is more significant than the pinks.

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
michaelc said:
Are you sure the fronts are 4mm lower in the rear and not the front? Because an additional 4mm drop in the rear would mean there would be a larger front gap than the rear that is more significant than the pinks.
Your right, my mistake, it is 24mm in the front and 20mm in the rear. Good catch!

Mike

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
You could also save your coin longer, get coils, install them and have two alignments done-one for snow conditions (higher) and for summer (lower). This is what I am going to do. With springs, you limit your options.

Opinions?

CB

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
ideal setup to me would be for you to buy:

Ohlins struts
RCE springs
RCE front camber plates
Group N rear tophats
Whiteline swaybars
kartboy endlinks
chassis bracing (h brace, strut bars, fender brace)
set alignment to -1.5 camber up front for street driving and play with the adj ohlins for your level of comfort. this setup would also be easily tuned for track days with the turn of the knob. no fussing over spring preload, corner weighting, droop travel, lowering height at each corner, alignments for set heights, etc.

·
Banned
1,271 Posts
twiSTies said:
ideal setup to me would be for you to buy:

Ohlins struts
RCE springs
RCE front camber plates
Group N rear tophats
Whiteline swaybars
kartboy endlinks
chassis bracing (h brace, strut bars, fender brace)
set alignment to -1.5 camber up front for street driving and play with the adj ohlins for your level of comfort. this setup would also be easily tuned for track days with the turn of the knob. no fussing over spring preload, corner weighting, droop travel, lowering height at each corner, alignments for set heights, etc.

Pretty much the perfect daily driver/canyon carver/all-around set-up. Exactly what i would do. Well done. :)

And get the new non-lowering RCE camber plates....

- Andrew

·
Registered
858 Posts
Hey i want that same setup but with out endlinks because i already have a set. Could you pm me any pricing. there was a kit like that.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Oh didn't notice the Ohlins. I won't have those. THat's out of my budget.

·
Registered
538 Posts
What differences would one feel going from Pinks to RCE springs? Is making that switch worth the money?

·
Registered
106 Posts
just to let you know... the cobb, eiback, and prodrive springs are all the same springs. they all claim a different drop because they measure them differently, but they're all different prices. they're supposed to work really good with sti's.

·
Banned
1,271 Posts
DC9 said:
just to let you know... the cobb, eiback, and prodrive springs are all the same springs. they all claim a different drop because they measure them differently, but they're all different prices. they're supposed to work really good with sti's.
Prodrive STi springs are vastly different then the Cobb's and Eibach's. They lower a LOT less then both. Very different.

- Andrew

·
Banned
1,271 Posts
TraSTi said:
Oh didn't notice the Ohlins. I won't have those. THat's out of my budget.
That same exact set-up even without the Ohlins is still very, very good. The Ohlins make it perfect, IMO, but even with the stock struts it's very impressive.

Give us a call and we can work out a package price.

- Andrew

·
Registered
993 Posts
DC9 said:
Please don't come here and say these are all the same unless you really know what you are talking about and can provide a trusted source. It is well known that these are different springs, as Andrew stated.

·
Registered
106 Posts
that's what a local shop had told me. sorry if i'm wrong but that's what i was told.

·
Banned
1,271 Posts
na-STi said:
What differences would one feel going from Pinks to RCE springs? Is making that switch worth the money?
What is it about your current setup that has you looking for new springs? With that question I will answer you. The RCE springs are 20% stiffer than the pinks and offer a level ride height, with particular attention paid to the rear spring rate which provides less swat and dive. If your looking for the best springs available than you got them in the RCE's, its up to you if you want to spend the money to get them!

Mike

·
Registered
538 Posts
GTWORX.com said:
What is it about your current setup that has you looking for new springs? With that question I will answer you. The RCE springs are 20% stiffer than the pinks and offer a level ride height, with particular attention paid to the rear spring rate which provides less swat and dive. If your looking for the best springs available than you got them in the RCE's, its up to you if you want to spend the money to get them!

Mike
I read somewhere that lowering the front more will make you less aerodynamic. Not sure if this is true. I think what I want most is to get rid of how my car bobs up and down when I take a fast corner over rough roads. I know this has more to do with the shocks than the springs but Ohlins are way too expensive for me. Is there a cheaper alternative to Ohlins? If I replace the shocks, I might as well sell my pinks and get RCE springs while I'm at it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts