IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
wingless

The owner's manual says something about refilling the IC water spray tank with "pure" water. For those that know, are we talking tap, filtered, distilled, what?

Thanks much.
Chris

·
Registered
311 Posts
Tap water is usually the farthest from pure water. Its full of bacteria and minerals and dirt.

Filtered just gets rid of the dirt.

Im betting distilled, because that means that all of the minerals are out of it. Its probably been filtered and boiled (to get rid of bacteria) because people drink it.

If its good for you, its good for your car! (but not vice verse, antifreeze and gasoline...)

·
Registered
526 Posts
Sha_zapple said:
Im betting distilled, because that means that all of the minerals are out of it. Its probably been filtered and boiled (to get rid of bacteria) because people drink it. quote]

Actually distilled water is boiled. That's how you distill it. Just like good 'ol uncle Jessie.

Now give me some of that duke boy moonshine fuel!

T

·
0 Posts
So are you saying that all we have to do is boil water, stick it in the fridge overnight and then put it in the tank?

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
no, boiling is not distilling. To make distilled water, you would boil regular water, capture the steam and let it condense in a clean container. Distilled water has no minerals that will eventually precipitate into deposits in the lines and espectially the nozzle.

I am using regular tap and if I get deposits, I wil clean them out with white vinegar, just like I do on my shower head.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Distilled water is the way to go and is the recommended product. You want to avoid the deposits from building up in the system at all because the fins of the intercooler also have the potential of building up deposits. The fins are alot harder to clean because they are so thin and so easy to bend. Why go there at all? Use distilled water. SFRinNJ

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
SFRinNJ said:
Distilled water is the way to go and is the recommended product. You want to avoid the deposits from building up in the system at all because the fins of the intercooler also have the potential of building up deposits. The fins are alot harder to clean because they are so thin and so easy to bend. Why go there at all? Use distilled water. SFRinNJ
I think the amount of water I actually spray over the fins will be very small in comparison to the amount of regular tap water that flows through it everytime I wash it. Like I said I'm not worrying too much about it.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
i think you can just buy distilled water. never done it myself, but i've heard you can. people use it in irons; another device that hates deposits.

·
Registered
15 Posts
jusy go buy distilled water its like .89 a gallon at almost any food store (probably find it next to the washing machine detergent). I use it in my race bikes (dont HAVE too but deposits mean hot spots and thats bad) so I get a few gallons a year. i kinda look at it like buying windshield washer fluid. I suppose you could clean off the deposits every so often (well try :roll: anyway) but distilled water is cheap and easy to find so why just buy a few gallons and be set for long time...o and when your washing your car the water wont be evaporating off the hot innercooler and tring to cool it :wink:

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
I haven't even used the IC sprayer yet. I keep forgetting about it. I did hit the button by accident once showing it to someone. Anyway, from what I remember the owner's manual says to use distilled and yes you can just buy a gallon of it at a grocery store.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I purchased distilled water at Wal-mart a couple of days ago for .48/ gallon. Plenty cheap to not have any problems or worry about cleaning deposits.

·
Registered
526 Posts
stiperformance said:
What about water capured from a dehumidifier? Its distilled, right?
I'm going to say kinda. The container that the water goes into has to be clean which usually means it needs to be rinsed with distilled water. Also the mechnaisim for collecting the water must be free from contaminantes as well. I'm not really sure how dehumidifiers work.

Also I'm not sure how pure the atmosphere "water" vapor is. There could be other chemicals that are trapped by a dehumidifier.

Any chemists out there?

·
Registered
467 Posts
Bail the humidifier idea.

I drink nothing exept distilled water. It's by far the best water to consume...human, car, or whatever, and isn't any more expensive than "spring water" for drinking. Most of the supermarkets carry it in the drinking water section. I buy 2.5 gal. containers. Definately use nothing except distilled water for the IC sprayer and radiator. Otherwise, the mineral deposits and corrosion will get you in the long run. It's not protecting the IC itself, it's protecting the spray nozzle and other parts that will eventually get clogged otherwise.

Almost a different subject (I'll probably start a thread), but I've been thinking about using alcohol instead of water. Ethanol cools surfaces more than water. I do believe that rubbing alcohol is flammable, so one should dilute it to probably at least a 70% alcohol/distilled water, so it won't ignite on any hot parts.

Now my other thought would be (for racing) to prepare an isopropyl alcohol with dry ice. Put dry ice in a bath of i-alc. and one gets about a -70 degree solution. You can't do it with water, because the dry ice will boil up in water, but with the i-alc mixture, it doesn't so much. Shooting the IC with a shot of -70 degree fluid would be good. The trick actually would be to have a reservoir in the engine bay, closer to the IC, so it wouldn't warm up during the trip from the trunk. I know Jeg's carries some fuel coolers that would work well. Just a thought.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Reply..

sounds like a neat project, just remember that the plastic hoses and nozzle were not necessarily designed to have -70 degree liquid shot through them. Such a dramatic temperature change may have unintended effects (possibly even on the aluminum IC fins). But hey, you won't know until you try (thats how the Subaru Engineers probably do it too, but they have more parts to play with when they break them, lucky bastards).

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
indicator

hmm. my initial reaction was that it would be distilled. however, the dehumidifier is basically making rain. (through a temperature change, air is condensed. rain occurs is just condensed water vapor.) since there is such a thing as acid rain (water with contaminants in it), i would think that the air being condensed by the dehumidifier could (theoretically) have contaminants also. whether they cause deposits is another issue. but based on this reasoning, i'd say it isn't distilled. i'll ask my dad. he's a chemist and knows everything....or so he told me when i was a child. :)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts