IW STi Forum banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Flatirons Tuning in Colorado runs an RA block in their Pikes Peak race car. It makes 420’s on e85. You can email them. They have a youtube channel and are responsive by email if you ask them questions. Knowledgeable shop.
i may at some point. i have talked to them before about my aero setup. but before i actually bought anything, class rules changed and i decided to stay with stock aero. did not know they used the oem type RA block in their racecar. i'll have to reach out to them. I currently have an IAG block, so i'm good for now, and hopefully will just refresh it, but it would be super nice to be able to get a cheaper RA block should i ever blow the IAG one lol.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I built a guy a 100mm 4032 forged Mahle piston with eagle hbeam rods shortblock and with machining IIRC Mahle called for 0.025 ptw clearance vs my JE Ultra 2618 0.035 ptw clearance, and my car has almost 0 piston slap even when cold so I believe a 4032 piston is the perfect selection for a sub 500 whp car.

Keep in mind a 4032 piston is still considered forged piston but it contains a higher silicon content, making it harder, so if/when you get a high knock event it can crack like an OEM hyperuetic piston where as a 2618 is softer and can take the abuse better. However, knock is always bad.

·
Premium Member
See about
6,533 Posts
* Yes, why IAG won't used them

* Apparently knock can even damage bearings . . . ?

* My IAG block is already bored. Not sure It would be wise to go bigger. My block was built from the 185K mi block in the car. It was not a "catalog" item and prior to them being available. In fact it was one of the very first to be machined in house right when they were gearing up to produce "catalog" items. BTW It didn't slap for a couple of years. First time I noticed was in sub freezing weather.

The real reason I posting here again is this:

Unfortunately the shop that I’ve been talking to has gone silent. However I’m hoping that Rallispec will match the 10% discount that IAG is running for Black Friday. I really want to give 4032 pistons a try.
In no way should a few bucks be the the deciding factor here.

I can say that I planned my build for a long time. IAG helped me with a lot of things - for instance they pushed me into a 10mc housing. They forced me into s Spearco actual said TMIC - Speaco won't do it any other way. But they were right about both. I mean I did price out completely bigger build options before I settled for what I wanted to spend (I didn't want my wife to murder me) / drivability / safety/ longevity. I can honestly say if you had lots of money, it wouldn't be the worst thing too build a medium powered car (like mine) and drive it for a coupe of years before moving on to a higher power car.

It can be intoxicating . . . .

But I will also say that there are faster cars out there to play with than when mine was fresh and that it has met its match a few times. Most were no brainers costing 5 or 10X.

Reactions: Karlot
21 - 23 of 23 Posts