IW STi Forum banner

841 - 860 of 2914 Posts

·
Registered
7,626 Posts
HTA86| IAG built| 85,000 daily driven miles| 500whp?!?! IMPOSSIBRUUUUUUUUUUUU

I talked to outfront and they can get me a closed deck block in a week and a half. Very tempting since my car is basically torn open. Peer pressure is strong in this thread user.......

Do it! Better than sleeves and the same price.

Reactions: user1029

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Re: HTA86| IAG built| 85,000 daily driven miles| 500whp?!?! IMPOSSIBRUUUUUUUUUUUU

I talked to outfront and they can get me a closed deck block in a week and a half. Very tempting since my car is basically torn open. Peer pressure is strong in this thread user.......

Guilty as charged... :p

I as well have already called IAG / OutFront / RCM / S&R

In order to gather/compare info on the subject @ hand

·
Registered
9,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #843
Re: HTA86| IAG built| 85,000 daily driven miles| 500whp?!?! IMPOSSIBRUUUUUUUUUUUU

amazing build man ! I'm going up to iag in july for tune! what products are you using for the wash and wax ?
Meguiar's Gold class wash and wax
Poorboy 1 and 2.5, Meguiar's M105 for paint correction twice a year

·
Registered
9,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #844

Every time I open your build thread - a small piece of me chuckles with excitement... I love that all my torque hits pre 3500 RPM on my Dom 1.5 ... but good god oh Friday your graphs make me cringe... one part jealousy two parts your shit is on the street every day and that scares me!
This car has yet to taste the luscious fruit of E85 or 116 octane :devil:

·
Registered
9,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #845

They can just fill up your existing stock semi-closed deck up with aluminum billet for $700 and have it back to you in a few days ;) A lot less work and cheaper than sleeves :tup:

·
Registered
2,622 Posts

This car has yet to taste the luscious fruit of E85 or 116 octane :devil:

Honestly, I'm a strong believer this is why you've been so successful. 116 would be ok as it's predictible, but E is just way more dangerously unpredictible and way too tedious. I know some people go against me when I say this, but anyway that's what I've judged so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #847

Honestly, I'm a strong believer this is why you've been so successful. 116 would be ok as it's predictible, but E is just way more dangerously unpredictible and way too tedious. I know some people go against me when I say this, but anyway that's what I've judged so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'll be using standardized Ignite E85 which runs around $3-4/gallon if you buy a drum and there is a close distributor near me so I'll bring them 15 empty 5 gallon pails a trip :lol:

EJ25s love E85.

Evos can run more timing on petrol than EJ25s because their engine design grants them better cooling capacity so they can dissipate the heat easier therefore they have a high threshold of detonation and can tolerate more aggressive timing. EJ25s given their horizontal design is not as efficient at getting rid of heat so we are forced to run less timing :(

Now we bring in E85. Burns way cooler than regular petrol and has an insanely high detonation threshold (if there is one at all). E85 affords the EJ25s to run ridiculously aggressive timing now without worrying about detonation. Ideally you can run as much timing as to your heart's content but then you have to worry about high cylinder pressures that could result in cracked sleeves (closed deck :devil:) or head lift (625 studs + O-ring :devil:).

·
Registered
9,163 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Re: Re: HTA86| IAG built| 85,000 daily driven miles| 500whp?!?! IMPOSSIBRUUUUUUUUUUUU

I hope not :lol:
And what cop would think of a law that would fall under. If you want I can look it up and see if there's anything in the books about it. You a Maryland or Virginia resident? The only way they would think to hem you up on something like that is if they were at your house for something else. You selling coke out of your basement? Prolly no reason to suspect anything else is going on other than race car lol

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy 10.1

·
Registered
785 Posts

True. I wouldn't think it really would be any different than a shop owner. May wanna check with your insurance though. That is a good point.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy 10.1

·
Registered
593 Posts

They can just fill up your existing stock semi-closed deck up with aluminum billet for $700 and have it back to you in a few days ;) A lot less work and cheaper than sleeves :tup:
Would i be safe running over 35psi in a "semi" closed deck? But again i know ill regret not doing this now. :notsure:

Ill give rick a call and have a chat. Im sure a local shop can do this instead of having to ship my block to them.

·
Registered
7,626 Posts

Would i be safe running over 35psi in a "semi" closed deck? But again i know ill regret not doing this now. :notsure:

Ill give rick a call and have a chat. Im sure a local shop can do this instead of having to ship my block to them.

Yea I definitely wouldn't trust a "local shop" to do this. They hardly have the testing that Outfront has committed.

This isn't as simple as dumping some molten aluminum in the block and calling it a day. Please do it right the first time if you're going to do this. It's far better than doing it wrong and then having to go the right way.

·
Registered
9,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #855

30psi is the upper limit on the stock semi closed deck block :( Outfront has perfected their way of filling up the block with billet while retaining good flow through the stock coolant passges ;)

·
Registered
593 Posts

Yea I definitely wouldn't trust a "local shop" to do this. They hardly have the testing that Outfront has committed.

This isn't as simple as dumping some molten aluminum in the block and calling it a day. Please do it right the first time if you're going to do this. It's far better than doing it wrong and then having to go the right way.
Youre right and like user said, Outfront hasnt had any problems with any of their close decks. They've been doing this for like 10 years.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts

Image Link

Stock STi baseline = 225whp
Image Link

movie
movie
My feedback on this project: NASIOC - View Single Post - IAG Performance (merged thread)

Love, it's what makes a Subaru, a Subaru
IAG V-band rotated turbo kit
- GT35R 0.82 Tial V-band housing HTA86 0.82 Tial V band housing (GT35R vs. HTA86 comparison)
- IAG FMIC kit with Spearco core and bumper beam
- IAG 4" Intake
- IAG V-band Uppipe
- IAG V-band Catless Downpipe
- Tial 44mm External Wastegate with open dump
- GT Spec Equal Length Headers V-band with Uppipe
- Harman Motive Catback Exhaust
- Aquamist HFS-6 running Boost Juice (50% methanol/50% water; tincture of meth to suppress detonation and get some chunky midrange)
- Injector Dynamics 2000cc injectors
- Aeromotive 340lph Fuel Pump
- Aeromotive Fuel Pressure Regulator
- IAG Fuel Rails
- Grimmspeed Electronic Boost Control Solenoid
- Grimmspeed Thermostat
- Mishimoto Radiator
- Tial Q BOV
- LFR7AIX Spark Plugs
- IAG Catchcan
- Stock Air Pump deleted
- IAT sensor and 4 Bar MAP sensor
- Cobb Accessport Speed Density protuned by Jorge

IAG Stage 2 Bottom End (25,000 DD miles and counting... Built by Artie at IAG)
- Manley Platinum Series 99.5mm Piston Set
- Manley H-Beam Rods
- ACL Main and Rod Bearings
- OEM Nitrided Crank
- OEM 11mm Oil Pump
- Killer B Oil Pickup with Baffle
- Gates Racing Timing Belt Kit
- 12,000mile/1year warranty

IAG Stage V Heads (25,000 DD miles and counting... Built by Artie at IAG)
- Flipped Cosworth Manifold with retained Air Conditioning Stock Vs. Cosworth IM comparison
- ARP2000 Head Studs
- OEM Headgasket
- Manley Extreme Duty 33mm Exhaust Valve Set
- Manley Race Flow 37mm Intake Valve Set
- Manley Valve Spring and Retainer Kit
- IAG Stage V headwork with Multi Angle Valve Job/Port&Polish
- Kelford Dual AVCS 272/268 11.30/11.50mm Lift Street Cams
- Cosworth Phenolic Spacers
- IAG TGV Deletes

Exterior Modifications (Daily driver so these mods are easy and cheap to replace)
- JNA V-limited polyurethane lip
- 18x9 Gunmetal Rota G-forces +30 offset
- 265/35/18 Michelin Sport A/S Plus
- Front and Rear fenders rolled and pulled by IAG
- Lamin-X Taillight overlays
- Plastdip'ed Silver mustache
- Daytime running lights deleted
- 30% tint

Suspension
- Tein Street Flex 9K/7K Coilovers
- Racecomp Engineering 25.5mm hollow Front and Rear Sway Bars
- Kartboy Endlinks
- Whiteline Steering Rack Bushings
- Whiteline Roll Center Adjustment/Bump Steer Kit
- Whiteline V2 Anti-Lift Kit
- Aligned to -2.5F/-2.3R; 0 toe; +6.95 caster
- Project Mu B-Force front brake pads, Stoptech rear brake pads

Drivetrain
- ACT XTG6; OEM Flywheel
- GroupN Engine Mounts
- GroupN Transmission Mount
- Whiteline Positive Shift Kit
- Whiteline Subframe Inserts
- Whiteline Rear Differential Inserts
- Kartboy Front Shifter Bushing
- Kartboy Pitch Stop
- Kartboy Shortshifter

movie

Credits to Boris at IAG for these spectacular images!

Image Link

Image Link

[URL="http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/2894/dmlg.jpg"]Image Link
[/URL]
fuckin surgical welds
[URL="http://imageshack.us/a/img59/3733/dsc02266.png"]Image Link
[/URL]
Image Link

Image Link

Image Link

Image Link

Image Link

Image Link

Image Link

[URL="http://imageshack.us/a/img547/1724/dsc07782.png"]Image Link
[/URL]
[URL="http://imageshack.us/a/img585/9167/dsc07805.png"]Image Link
[/URL]
Image Link

Image Link

That video = daaaaamn. It reminds me of the ghost rider turbo sport bike from my good ol days, the speedo shoots up almost quicker than the tach. That is insanely quick for anything with four wheels.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts

^ Element Tuning is also using closed deck blocks with great reliability under race conditions.

First hand experience? give me 4-5months and I will be able to tell you. What I know is that they were one of the first shops that started using alternative, more cooling-friendly options to the traditional sleeves.

My car is a genuine bug eye STI with Element pro comp, dry sump, BW 7163,....being installed as we speak.

·
Registered
9,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #859

^ Element Tuning is also using closed deck blocks with great reliability under race conditions.

First hand experience? give me 4-5months and I will be able to tell you. What I know is that they were one of the first shops that started using alternative, more cooling-friendly options to the traditional sleeves.

My car is a genuine bug eye STI with Element pro comp, dry sump, BW 7163,....being installed as we speak.
Yup I talked to Phil about his closed deck but he says I can't use my existing heads since the ET closed deck clearances are only compatible with ET heads :(

·
Registered
2,236 Posts

Yup I talked to Phil about his closed deck but he says I can't use my existing heads since the ET closed deck clearances are only compatible with ET heads :(
I am sure you will have good results with Outfront as well.

Ps, your build is my number one here sir. Very well-done!

841 - 860 of 2914 Posts