IW STi Forum banner

2901 - 2914 of 2914 Posts

·
Registered
9,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,902
Nope the IAG 900 with some alterations. Switching out the Htuff for Turbotuff I beam rods and stage 5 ferrea heads with 272 cams :)

I don’t need the fancy callies crank since I’m not pushing more than 800whp :)

·
Registered
9,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,905
Another person on Nabisco had GSC beehive cylinder 1 intake valve spring failure at around 40k miles. If anyone has these springs, I would highly recommend getting your heads refreshed before 40k or go another brand

·
Registered
9,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,906
Well it’s been almost two months without my car since IAG’s CNC machine they use for closed deck blocks is undergoing repairs :( I really miss driving my car

I tried contacting GSC multiple times about what their thoughts on the cause of failure and I’ve gotten zero responses from them. I understand all products have a chance of failure. Even if they respond with “oh these valve springs should be shimmed or altered for beyond 35psi” then I would be satisfied and it would be knowledge I would pass onto the community.

But to be ignored really infuriates me and it’ll be the last time I’ll ever be using their shitty ass products let alone recommend them to other people.

A built motor should fail when the pistons and rings wear down not because of 1 fucking cracked valve spring

·
Registered
17 Posts
One more question from your vast methanol experience on this platform :)
What do you think is the best sized turbo before diminished returns start to take place? or is there none?
I haven't noticed any higher power builds than yours on this fuel and wondered if there is simply a point where making more power isn't possible or doesn't make sense in terms of spool loss.

·
Registered
9,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,914
For methanol I would suggest no more than 550whp and to taper the power down in the higher rpms for safety. A GTX 30 Gen II turbo is probably the largest I would go these days on methanol at <30psi. I made 660whp on E85. E85 is safer than methanol, more even distribution through the cylinders, burns cooler so you can run >38psi on it pretty safely and hit 650whp-700whp with a GTX 35 series turbo. I would stop looking for more power when you get beyond the limit of normal street tires that can handle rain but can't handle the power. I believe a modded car should be enjoyed everyday for the amount of work you put into it, for me that would be around 750whp.

2901 - 2914 of 2914 Posts