IW STi Forum banner

I was about to just say screw it and get a WRX

2K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  MrSwede 
#1 ·
Then I went over to Cobb Tuning (good place, BTW) and priced out some stuff to make a WRX compete with the STi in as many areas as possible (straight line, braking and handling). This is my own opinion on the parts you would need. Note that this doesn't include the race seats, upgraded transmission, suspension bushings, amoung other things.

COBB Stage 3 Brake Kit (WRX) $1,850.00 Kit $1,850.00
APS-COBB Club Spec High Output System (Stage 1) $2,600.00 Kit $2,600.00
COBB Stage 1 Short Block (2.0L EJ20) $4,950.00 Each $4,950.00
COBB Stage 1 Cylinder Head Package (WRX) $3,695.00 set $3,695.00
COBB Stage 3 Drivetrain Package (WRX) $2,149.00 Kit $2,149.00
COBB Stage 2 Suspension Package (WRX Sedan - Single Adj.) $2,395.00 Kit $2,395.00
COBB CT-ONE Wheel (17 x 7.5) $280.00 Each $1,120.00
Sub Total $18,759.00
GRAND TOTAL $18,759.00

I think Subaru can do it cheaper still. :)

JJ

See less See more
#2 ·
I dunno if you would need all that internal engine work. I mean a rt spec kit would make a ton of power as it is. Or you could do what I'm doing. Find a cool place that does the pre owned sports and luxury cars. You have them find you a used wrx. and you include all the mods in the fianancing.

used rex. 20,000
dms golds 2,000
wheels tire- 1,500
better gear box w/ labor 3,500
scooby sport pkge 3,500
scooby sport brake upgrade 1,500
turbo XS stage 3 3,000

35,000- and that would be one hell of a car. Granted I'm only going to do a stage 2 and the prices were off the top of my head.....just wanted to throw out another option....I wish I could get a sti but I won't be able to nurse the great lil car I drive now through a winter. I had a beater for the winter but was forced to sell it, and I want to keep this car clean and sharp cause it catches alot of eyes and will help me save alot towards the car. Hell I may almost be able to save enough to put close to half down on the car. :p

#3 ·
transmission faliure? wha wha wha. learn to freggin drive i say. its AWD. dont try to burnoff. dont dump the clutch at any rpm. ok enough bitching. just use your head. for all the complaining about the tranny i havent heard ANYTHING bad about it other than opinion. if subaru thought it sucked they woulda replaced it LONG ago right? the 6spd just benefits from new tech and an extra gear. ANY tranny will break(duh), the STi 6spd isnt a racing box (or is it? hmmm), yet people praise it like its a god. will it break just as often as the 5spd (which isnt too often), i bet. yeah its stronger, but how much? even if its 100% stronger, whatever you did to break the 5spd will probably break the 6spd. its not like you stressed the transmission to just the breaking point, you smashed it through it to disembowel a tranny.

and yes, Subaru still does it cheaper and better. but it will be at least 6 years before more 10,000 of them are here, total. so i dont see why you dont "just" get a WRX. i know it doesnt have all the goodies, but unless your a racer a WRX should be fine. right?
Brembos, a 6spd, and a nice motor... IMHO not worth the extra $12,000 ill end up paying for it considering a WRX is a pocket-rocket. i know on paper its like only 4000 more, but in reality it sure aint (damned texan in me) after markups, financing, TT&L, ect.

what it really boils down to is not whether you NEED the STi. anyone in their right mind would take an STi over a WRX, but they do make the WRX for a reason. so real people that have normal jobs and lives can afford one. it's really about how much CAN you afford. i need a new car soon. so i can only afford a WRX. if i could wait until next year id nodoubt get an STi.

#4 ·
Thats a really good point, thankyou. That answers my question of me getting an STi, or not. Overall I will probably get a WRX because being 16 I will have one heck of a insurance rate, and an even higher one with the STi. Thanks a lot!! :)

#5 ·
I brought the gearbox issue up for me because I can drive stick real well, BUT what happens if I get a used one and the previous owner thrashed the box? If it goes out on me while me even if I never abused the car I'll get stuck with the bill. But I'll end up buying a new one and doing all the stuff Sans the gearbox.

#8 ·
Ok. really it depends. I have heard from dealers that SOA is only going to bring about 1000 or less STis in the states for this next year. Doing the math that means that the majority of people will NOT get an STi.

Mikey, being 16..hell get the WRX..great car.

#9 ·
I have tried to imagine what a Cobb tuned WRX would do for me, esp if I wanted to buy a car right away. I still say STi. But the waiting is killing me. I am leaning toward buying a WRX wagon now mostly because I don't suspect they'll bring the wagon when they bring the sedan. Even if they do who knows when that will be. The other thing is with 2003's coming a 2002 would be cheap. The dealer lots here seem to have quite a few. But I also see alot of them on the road which is not something I can say for my GTI.

#14 ·
Thanks, I first learned to drive stick on my dads truck (the rest of the cars are autos) to get the feel, then i learned to drive my friends prelude and eclipse gsx. I also ride dirtbikes, that kinda gives you an idea of what your foot needs to do, so im pretty good. Ill just have to learn where the wrx catches, and its cool. Thanks guys. :)

#15 ·
Mikey
If you get some major kicks out of the WRX, then more power to ya' (figuratively speaking). It may prove beneficial getting experience with a Scooby before eventually (maybe) getting an STi some time down the road; you'll be more in tune with a Scooby's characteristics during driving. Quite possibly (Peter Solberg was likely better than anyone here when he was 16), you'll get better performance out of a WRX than others here will as they just receive their STi's. It's bad enuf that some people still don't know what to do with a keyboard...

8)

#16 ·
OMG!!!

I broke down last September and bought the WRX, one of the few times when my impatience paid off. And I have to tell you, the last 8 months have been a blast! I might trade it in for an STi in the future, but as it stands right now, this $22,000 car (with a few mods) is keeping me more than satisfied.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.