IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, ever since I' first owned my 1989 Prelude Si to my most current car: 2000 Accord V6... I always like to drop them an inch or two... But I was wondering if it would be a good ideal to drop my STI?!

I don't want to miss up my car but I really like to drop my car a little lower for "better show looks". Has anyone dropped their STi??? Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Good idea.......dunno. Smart for the suspension setup...not at this time. Until someone comes out with a setup that is proven to perform as well as the stock setup, I wouldn't touch any so-called 'lowering spring'. Kinda defeats the purpose of the car, don't ya think?

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
If your going to do it, go with coil overs. Tein makes a nice set, but like Clone said, you might want to wait a few more months until stuff begins to be released specifically for the STi.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Lemme piggy back what I said earlier....

People always boo-hoo those of us who say "don't mess with the stock STi setup yet". Reason being, besides the fact STi has been doing this for reasons other than marketing and sales for years, is the recent SCC test. With some of the best WRX tuners in the country taking on the STi, the STi effectively beat the best tricked out suspensions. Yeah, the Vishnu car turned a few times faster, but it was on racing rubber.

That shows me that there isn't a setup out there right now that will outdo what we have from the dealer. That being said, unless you are willing to lose the performance you paid for by lowering the car, I wouldn't touch the major components of the suspension at this time.

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
Amen to that Clone

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
All I can say to people just wanting to lower their vehicles for looks is... :roll: The STi is already lower than the WRX. I have a DVD, I think it's called Best Motoring, and they took a WRX with modded suspension and put it up against an STi. Initially the WRX did worse than it would have stock. After a little tweeking it still could not do better or even match the STi.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmm... well, from what I have gathered above... I am going to stay stock (for a few months. :). Thanks again everybody for your feedback.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Few cents worth:

Can the stock handling be improved? It is an absolute yes, with qualifiers :)

What one calls "good handling" may be another's nightmare. One has to first determine what the objective for a suspension modification is and see if there are solutions that can get them there.

For example, if the purpose is to just have a lower look, you have to decide how much lower, what spring rates will accomplish that and see if the stock shocks can handle this without revalving. My rule of thumb is that if you lower any car beyond 1.0 in. and want to ride on the street with that new height, you should seriously look in to appropriate coilovers or revalving the shocks if they can be.

If the objective is actually "good handling" then the equation is much different. Spring rates are only part of the equation as is the lower center of gravity and actually the mean center of gravity. This actually requires truly complex calculations and "good handling" has to be precisely defined by the owner before any such calculations.

Third, if the purpose is to get in to competition, such as autoxes (solo II) or solo I, then the first thing is to look in to the rule book for various classes the car should be prep'd to.

I know I am not giving you specific answers, but that is actually my point. Many tuners do focus on engine tuning and claim to have matered chassis tuning, but frankly, I am a little cautious about those statements.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
As you said, statements are just that. But given head-to-head *performance* comparisons, I believe STi has a very strong package.

Does this mean no changes will EVER be made...doubtful. But study of the STi itself needs to be done. WRX pass over parts aren't going to do it, which is all that is available at this time. While lowering springs for the WRX might fit, they are matched to the WRX shocks (if ever done at all).

At this time...I think we are best with what we have. Until someone comes out with STi specifics changes and can show the performance difference that is. And as for the different goals....I don't think anyone with an STi should have goals other than outright performance. If they have other intentions, they should have bought a WRX.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Why not go with a factory part? That is what I intend on doing.

Rallispec has them for $368. Lowers the car about an inch, and more importantly, the spring rates are matched to the factory STi strut.

Michael

·
Registered
804 Posts
leadfoot said:
Why not go with a factory part? That is what I intend on doing.

Rallispec has them for $368. Lowers the car about an inch, and more importantly, the spring rates are matched to the factory STi strut.

Michael
I'm considering these, they look pretty good.

Attachments

·
retired mod
4,012 Posts
that white STi has them? looks lower then an inch drop to me, looks pretty damn good thou! :)

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Cool! Hmm......just what I need is a longer shopping list. I'd be willing to try those out.

As long as STi says it's good...that's cool with me.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Hey clone,
I can't belive you acutally approve to a set of lowering springs! From all your previous posts I thought you'd never find a worthy set! If they are good enough for clone they are enough for me! I am in for a set. Lets do a group buy.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Count me in on a group buy. What does it take to install these? Is this a DIY job? I'm having a personal backlash against professional installations.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
haha....I hear ya 'train.

I'm not quite approving them yet, but they appear to be coming from the source responsible for the car in stock form. I am very leery of people saying "Eibach" this or "Tein" this with a car this new. STi has developed this car and knows just what will work with the stock components.

Sometime in the future....I don't believe in doing mods too fast. Enjoy each mod for a while...the car doesn't get 'old' as fast that way.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I agree with clone. I am not touching my car until the product gets clonegts or STI approval. I am waiting also but it's because of money issues But I guess this is a good possiblity with the STI Springs huh Rob?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts